Grandparents Raising Children Support Group

This community is dedicated to grandparents who are the primary caregivers of their grandchildren. In cases where the parents are not willing or able to provide adequate care for their children, grandparents may take on the role of primary caregivers. Join the support group to find support, share your experience, and get advice from other members.

0 Online
  • dhall

Raising grandchildren with medical needs

I am currently raising two of my grandchildren and i am trying to get custody of another she has kidney problems. Is there anyone who can give me advice or anyone who would like to share what they are going through thanks 
  • debri85

Serious Sigh

This really sucks.
  • Iamnana

FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP All4FAMILY17

Good Day All! I am a stay at home nana located in Northeast Ohio. I received emergency custody of my granddaughter jan 2015 and rec'd legal custody Dec 2015. I have raised 4 children so the thought of raising a toddler 15 yrs later wouldn't be THAT different right? (I use comic relief to get me through my days!) Just because the courts agreed with me that it was in the best interest of the child...
  • suz181

I know I'm not alone

I am just now reaching out to find other grandparents who are raising their grands after having my gd for 1.5 yrs.  She is now 5.5.  it's so hard being older working ft and still having a teen at home. I am also a single parent.  There is nothing locally in support of grandparents raising grand groups in NJ as in other states. The fixer in me thought,  I should start one. Then I realized,...
  • debri85

New to the Group

Hello, new to the group, my husband and I are in our mid 60's and have had our grandson for a little over a year. It's not that he's a bad child, quite frankly he's pretty good as 10 year olds go, except for being sexually abused by a stray his mother allowed around him when he was four, there really aren't any major issues yet. It's just that, we were retired, hadn't had to deal with a child...
  • mimi369

Heartbroken for many reasons

My beautiful teen daughter is in an abusive relationship and has chosen this boy, also the father of her son, over him and her whole family. My husband and I have temporary custody and the judge also ordered a restraining order against the boy and my daughter. Our grandson is now 7 months old. It's so hard not having my daughter in my life, but I felt like I had to protect my grandson. How do I...
  • Grammy2008

Advice for helping child feel better during move

My daughter who is 32 has found a place to live. However, she also has two children ages 8 and 2. They have never lived anywhere but at home with me and their mother. I have been co-parenting.They have only known our family life as the three of them and me (grammy). My concern is that the 8 year old seems to be depressed about the move. We are very close and I fear it is leaving me that might...
  • suz181

Facebook Support Group.

Just now looking for support after almost 2 years. I thought I should mention there is a FACEBOOK support group called. RRC Support Group. Relatives raising children. Really good group of people all in same situation from all across the US and beyond. My state NJ has nothing locally and in person. It has definitely helped me the last couple weeks reading and commenting on posts with people just...
  • ctgrandma

Need advice asap

My daughter and her boyfriend, (father of my granddaughters), are about to lose their parental rights to my beautiful granddaughters. I am in the process of applying for guardianship of them, they are currently in foster care, and the foster parents who already have 6 kids, (all foster) are applying to adopt my granddaughters too.  I am told that grandparents basically have no rights and that I...
  • tsmith317

Emotional Mess Tonight

I am raising my 3 yr old granddaughter and have had her since she was 2 months old after rescuing her from my daughter and her crazy boyfriend who were homeless and on drugs. When I picked up my granddaughters (the oldest lives with her daddy now), my 2 month old baby was soaking wet in her own urine - not sure how long it had been since she was changed. Urine was dripping off the car seat she...
  • ngp1934

New to the group

My husband and I have recently gained custody of 2 grandchildren.  1 boy (10) and 1 girl (11). We are having trouble with even the basics. Bathing, brushing teeth, manners, school, and the list could go on. We have had them for 8 months but what they went through before is tough to overcome.  Any suggestions, 
  • Hope4Delaney

Going to give "tough love" a try....

This did not work with my daughter (GD's mother) but I'm just so exhausted trying everything else. GD turned 18 at beginning of month. She has been acting worse and worse, lies about everything, takes things, swears and yells at me whenever I try to talk to her about anything, lays in bed all day instead of doing school, up at night keeping us awake, and on and on. Some of the things are so odd,...
  • catskyn

Oh the day's when your nerves feel singed.

I had to write about what I have been going through the last couple of day's with my Grandson.He has times when he will go a couple of weeks and his behavior is stable and he's actually minding me and then "BAM", I don't know what happens in his little head but thing's just get really crazy.     I am not writing this to be felt sorry for I just know that if their are other Grandparents...
  • LoveGMom

Just a rant

My beautiful daughter passed away on the 4th of January of this year. I am helping my son in law with their 3 children ( 6,5, and 9 months)  The problem is my grandson. He's just plain mean. There's no discipline in this house. He tells me he doesn't like me and he wants me out of the house and when I tell him to get changed out of his school clothes he tells me I can't tell him what to do. All...
  • marietta

Single grandmother raising 2 beautiful granddas

I am new to the group, just need to know I am not alone and need advice on dealing with my daughter who has mental health issues. I have complete custody of my granddaughters. I am having some financial problems because of daycare for them, I work full time but I don't make enough. I love my granddaughters so much.