Grandparents Raising Children Support Group

This community is dedicated to grandparents who are the primary caregivers of their grandchildren. In cases where the parents are not willing or able to provide adequate care for their children, grandparents may take on the role of primary caregivers. Join the support group to find support, share your experience, and get advice from other members.

0 Online
0 Online
  • catskyn

my grandson

My daighter has been sober from Herion for 8 months now. My grandson was born Herion addicted. He landed up in a Foster Home a year ago after his fathers girlfriend abused my grandson. He as moved to 6 differnt homes before being placed with me. The Adoption process will start next month in August. He has been with me for 4 months. Its very hot even now at 11 pm he just got let out of his...
  • My story is very long and difficult so I will try to shorten it lol. My 3 yr old grand daughter has lived with me a yr in august. The circumstances leading to that involved my daughter being involved in some shady dealings that put her and her daughters safety in jeopardy along the lines of gang shootings and they found out where she lived ect. The last year my daughter has racked up enough...
  • Hello ladies,I'm not new here I have been here off and on for YEARS... but for those that don’t know me here is a little bit about what’s going on... I will be 50 in a few weeks, married for 27 years my husband is 54. we have 6 kids and 7 grands and one on the way. After a FM left her 5-day old baby with us for 2 years and then took her back we were devastated... in the meantime my...
  • scgramma

Considering adoption

So biomom got married, and got custody of younger gd, who is happy with mom, stepdad and 1yo brother. However, my 9 year old, who went with her for the summer( he said he wanted to live with her) is comming back to me this weekend. Mom says hes out of control, angry, disrespectfull, treats her like a sibling, ect. Well, thats what happens you put a kid on layaway for 9 years. Im very happy he is...
  • bknyc450

Research Study

Hello,I am a doctoral school psychology student at Loyola University, who is researching the experiences of grandparents raising grandchildren as my dissertation topic. My research focuses on the social-emotional needs of grandchildren who are raised by grandparents and the types of supports custodial grandparents would like to receive from school districts. I am particularly interested in the...
  • Well I upset me step daugther to the point that she pretty much told us she is taking the GD's which will not happen we have had them over 3 years and she is going to perison for up to 12 years. But being the big hearted person I am I thought that I would invite her out to dinner just the 2 of us. She agreed and it happen to be a couple of days after birthday so I picked a really nice place to...
  • Mom is going away for 12 years for drugs She will be going in on the 22 of June. We have had temporary custody for the last 3 years while she was out doing her drug thing. In and out of rehab and jail. But we always had the in sight that one day she might get it togther and be good to go with the girls. Well now we have to face the fact that the oldest one will be 18 when she gets out and the...
  • So when DSS give you the kids, and biomom gets life together, does DSS come investigate my house as part of the process? Mom is now married, and has 18 month old, dads in army. Her lawyer says he has to notify state that she want custody, so I don't know what happens next...
  • Mom is going to jail for 6 to 10 years the 1st of June. She has not seen or talked to the girls sense Easter and that was only because we went and forced her to come. Before that it was 4 or 5 months. She has had a boyfriend that of course is the love of her life so she hasn't had time for the girls. We have raised them for the last 3 years and before that we pretty much had them all the...
  • sammyo1

Intro & age?

I'm new here but not to DS. Wonderful site. Currently have guardian of my GS, just turned 4.,although he's been with with us since birth. Mom resided here & was hospitalized twice after delivery with dangerous infection so I was his person. My daughter has a drinking problem which hit after PTSD. 2 attempts at rehab. Seizures started in which my GS was transported with her at age 3 to hospital...
  • I am wondering if anyone has been successful in obtaining any kind of financial help or found any programs that are helpful? We are not low income, but taking on three extra children has really made things tight. really tight. I know we would not qualify for food stamps or anything like that, but I have been doing research trying to find some kind of help. Even any coupon or rebate programs...
  • MimiAngels

SaraBT

Has anyone heard from SaraBT lately? I've been thinking about her lately and came back to see if she's posted anything.
  • I am new to the group and need advice. My granddaughter is 6 and has lived with me for 5 and half years. I do not have custody her Mom has just always left her. I do have the right to take my grand daughter to the doctor and have been the one responsible for doing this. I also do everything with her schooling. My daughter is now with a new bf and wants to have my grand daughter move in...
  • We have had full custody of our 2 grand daughter's for 2 years now. Mom never even calls to check on them nor does she ask to see them unless something like Christmas or mothers day and both girls really don't want anything to do with here if she is there, She is on drugs and makes everything about her not the girls. Well yesterday being mothers day we spent the day as a family without her....
  • nanaglo

Ignorance is bliss

So I've been blessed to have custody of my granddaughter since Dec. My 23 yr old dtr who has mentality of 5th grader, is pregnant again she was found mentally unfit by the court psychologist. I am having trouble dealing with her having my 2nd granddaughter that I have no way of saving. Please send prayers. ...I'm not sure what God has planned but my comic relief only goes so far. The worthless...