Codependency Support Group

Codependency is defined as someone who exhibits too much, and often inappropriate, caring for another person's struggles. A codependent person may try to change, or feel shame about their most private thoughts and feelings if they conflict with the other person's struggles. If you are on a journey towards self-love, this support group is for you. Join us and find others who are going through the same.

1 Online
  • GettingBetterEveryday

How to surrender...

the topic of this weeks coda meeting was surrendering. Somebody had a beautiful share about that process for her and I  long to have her perspective. And not to say that she sugarcoated it. She says it's a struggle and she needs to remind herself that she is ok. I have moments when I am able to surrender and I find peace. I have faith that my HP will guide me and protect me and I need to just...
  • yogacat3

Healing Path: Wounds from a Dysfunctional Family

Hey codie family, How is everyone’s healing journey going? Right now I feel like I’m at my breaking point with my family. I’ve pretty much isolated myself from relationships that aren’t 100% supportive (acquaintances, working relationships), and don’t have much time or opportunity to meet other random people — so I don’t act out a lot of codependent behaviors right now. —BUT...
  • SMFSL

Sooo lost.. but don't want to lose!

I need help. Have a mother-in-law who has been living with us for about 18 years.  She is dependent on us for most things in life but we are trying to live our lives the way we want to since we just finished raising our two children.  How do you break away from someone who is codependent on you for so much of their life. 
  • mirandac

Good article

This was a good article and straight to the Point.https://psychcentral.com/lib/recovery-from-codependency/
  • yogacat3

'Toxic Parents' + Codependency

I have been listening to my thoughts and emotions after group, and I've added this book to my recovery process (along with CNM). One of the ways CoDA has helped me is: I can often feel like my thoughts and emotions are a big jumble and I can't tell whether I'm imagining everything or do I really need help? So far, when I speak in group, I usually say something that doesn't represent me at all....
  • mirandac

my opinion on what 12 step groups can do

To me shaming, blaming, bullying, judging and guiltingare not useful tools in working on Codependency issues.All 12 steps groups address codependent issues and problemsin their own way. Many of us do our disease in the same way.No one person is better smarter or greater than anyone else. Thats where the healing and growth part comes in, we are notalone and we are not unique then we can...
  • GettingBetterEveryday

Help pls

have a problem. Basically my ex was driving my car and got into an accIdent. He had lost his license and fled from the scene, a hit and run. problem is he got a previous dui where he hit someone. All in a car in my name. In all my conversations insurance can deny coverage as it was another driver not me driving. But let's face it I knew that and I guess I gave  him permission to drive ( I'm dumb...
  • ThreeDots

Oh my Gosh! It is all me!

Tomorrow I will be going to my second counseling appointment and I'm embarrassed.   I sound like a wimpy whiney complain about my husband type of person that thinks she's a martyr for overworked and underappreciated people.  Most embarrassing is that I created all of this myself, so why am I complaining now?   All of the sudden I just don't want to do it anymore?   How fair is that?  Those...
  • reang

Seeing progress

Wednesday, I spent a large portion of my evening thinking about someone and projecting an ex's attributes onto him. I kept worrying about pleasing this new person, and yet fearing he would turn out to be an emotional manipulator. My alaram bells were ringing. I tossed and turned all night worrying and being in fear.Thursday, I realized I was having a very bad day because I was shaming myself for...
  • GettingBetterEveryday

shame, embarrassment for codependent behaviors

How do you guys handle the shame and embarrassment that may come with codependent behaviors? I've been secretive and covered up my behaviors for so long to avoid the embassment, shame with others. Now I'm starting to come clean with others about what's going on (which feels good) but with that comes inevitable questions and follow up from them about what's going on now(I know out of their genuine...
  • Bella999

Accepting the Narc will never love you

I have done a lot of reading on NPD (my husband of 16 yrs). I have always known something was off but never realized you can give it a name. I have read numerous books on this. I am very far in the process of detaching but just struggle with the idea that it is impossible for him to feel any thing for me. I can see that he just dont, especially now that i am aware of his manupilation tricks. It...
  • SassyGrace

Your Thoughts?

This is from an article I just read.  It explains my general dissatisfaction with existing 12 step groups.  Something just didn't feel right, and this article articulates it for me.I'd be interested in your thoughts and comments.  Thank you."As I explore CoDA meetings here in San Diego, what I am seeing is many people - who have gone to meetings for years - that only have a rudimentary...
  • yogacat3

Codependent No More book club

I have seen a lot of people posting about reading 'Codependent No More' by Melody Beattie. How about a book discussion thread? We could share quotes that are impacting us, what we're learning, and ways we're letting the info transform our lives. : ) Right now, I'm reading Chapter 14: "Anger"
  • Gilliflower

Recovering Codependent

I have been with my husband for 17 years (married for almost 15). When we met he immediately put me on a pedestal, rescued me from a really bad family situation. But he helped take care of my kids (2 from my previous marriage)until they were out of the house.Over the last 7 years, things deteriorated. I found out from my daughter that he had made some crude advances towards her and followed up by...
  • Hoshi

Hanging on a thread

Hi, I'm new to the site. My husband has been in and out of ER, detox, and rehabs for 5 years. He was sober for 8 months, relapsed on new year's day and hasn't stopped. He is always loud, anoying and insults me but the past week he called me names in front of my kids (6 and 11), so we left to a motel...i have a low paying job and he manages all the money including credit cards. I feel trapped and...