Caring For Aging Parents Support Group

Caring for aging parents can be a difficul time as we become the caretakers for our parents. This broad responsibility can encompass such services as assisted living, adult day care, long term care, nursing homes, hospice care, and in-home care. Whether you have just started caring for your parents or just need a place to talk, we're here.

0 Online
  • Carolyn76

Overwhelmed & resentful

Hello. I am the sole carer to an ageing mother with a disability that may be permanent. She wears a special boot that she can't get on by herself and she can't drive. Her memory is going too. My brother has lived overseas for 20 or so years & my father passed away when I was 18 years old. My mother & I have never been close. When I was growing up there was a lot of emotional neglect. I am...
  • Denmom

Delima

I have a delima and I need to hear other people's thoughts. My nephew is getting married in October and he lives in another state. At first I felt like my mom should go, to see a grandchild get married. It's her first grandchild to marry. My brother is of absolutely no help to me, so I know I won't get Much support or really none from him. I just know I can't do all this alone. I can't do the...
  • Sewreal

Not coping well

Hi all, I am having a hard time dealing with the facts that my Father may pass and if he should pull through he and my mother will have to go to a nursing home. I know they will have to go I am the one who told other this, but now that it is going to have to happen I am having a hard time dealing with this.  I have taken my dad to his dialysis for months, taken both to doctor appointments and I...
  • JohnO

I really don't know where to start.  Does anyone know of a support group here in St. Louis Mo.    I had to put my mother in a nursing home about 8 months ago.   She is so angry with me and is always yelling at me and telling me what a horrible son I am.  My mother is confined to a wheelchair and needs 24hr care that I can’t give her.  She is on Medicare and Medicaid.  I am not a rich...
  • Sewreal

Supporting myself and helping parents

Hi, My 76 yr old Father has renal failure and conjestive heart problems, My mother has dementia, they live by themselves and both use walkers to help them walk., I live 30 minutes away, work and take my Parent to doctor appoints, shopping and other errends, I also work to support myself, I have a sibling that lives 2 hours away, they dont help because of the distance. My father nevers complains...
  • Sewreal

Wishing all A great day

Hi, I thought I would write a message today, wishing or hoping everyone has a great day. Things have smoothed out some for me, So I hope it will for everyone else, Have a great day
  • Community LeaderThePepperMan

Us Time

OK, pushing Mrs. Pepper to agree to having some weekend help come in so that she and I can do things without having to worry about her mother.  I do love my MIL, but I want to be able to do other things.  Like going to county fairs and paying $20 for a hamburger that is worth $3.  OK, not really, but I do want to just get out and do things.Any tips on how to get one's spouse to agree to this;...
  • unglued

first time to complain

I put my life on hold to take care of my mother.  I have no siblings so I am it. I feel guilty for complaining but my mother won't listen to anything I say even when she knows it is for her own good. I am almost 50 years old and have no life except taking care of someone who really resents me for being 50 and not 90!!! This is nuts!!
  • Nbob

So done

Hi! New to this group but not daily strength. I've been married 18yrs and all them have been with my husbands aunt. She can't be left alone and is definitely sicker now. Regardless, I feel done. Over Xmas I had an issue that put me in intensive care. I can't say it was an eye opener but it did make me question who's life should be more important. For so many years it was hers....granted at the...
  • billwfriend

Visiting Mom tonight at rehab center

of the nursing home.They just expanded opening supported living apartments this coming Wednesday. Tomorrow 1:30pm weas family are taking my Mom over there on other side of the nursing home, trying to have Mom go into these instead of coming home. Shes 92 1/2 yrs old and has been living independantly. This is hard choice, the apts. are $5500monthly. It includes food services and all laundry stuff...
  • unglued

just some bread!

I left the house for all of ten minutes to get a loaf of bread and while I was gone can you guess what happened?! Mom decided she wanted to go out to the back patio and she fell.  Thank goodness I was only gone for a few minutes but I found her sitting in the middle of some tropical ferns. She doesn't seem to be hurt but look out for the bruises tomorrow! I can't leave this house without all...
  • Denmom

New here, but not new to caregiving

ive been taking care of my mom for awhile now. The end of 2015 she fell and broke her wrist. I stayed with her for 7 weeks, and then a friend stayed with her for 2 weeks. She insisted that she was capable of being on her own, so I let her, but checked on her constantly. 2 weeks later, she fell and broke her hip. After the hospital she went to rehab for 3 weeks, then I put her in an assisted...
  • gardener4

New here - overwhelmed with caring for my father

Hi All,I've been caring for my mentally ill, soon to be 80-year-old father (living with him) for a few years now.  He has severe COPD (on oxygen), congestive heart failure and vascular disease.  I'm overwhelmed and exhausted.  I was in a serious car accident 2 years ago (hit head-on by drunk driver on highway) and am still in a lot of pain.  I also just went through a cancer scare and had a...
  • billwfriend

lots of new friends here to be made now....

Hi all you newbies here....we love to talk about the stuff that blocks us from having the lives we dreamed of....Parents...LOLanyway hello I am bill in St Louis and there are others here too that should make themselves avialable to chat about things....hugsI am in crisis mode with my 92yr old mom right now as it is that time to say goodbye to her home of 49yrs....and she is resisting...but...
  • GiaG.

I need help, I can't do this alone!

Hi, I am new here and this is my first post. I am the only one who oversees my father's wellbeing and it is difficult. I need to talk to people who understand. I am always the caregiver and no one ever helps me or even offers a little help. Dad is 83 years old. We lost mom almost 4 years ago to cancer and they were married for 58 years. I too am a widow, I lost my husband 7 years ago to cancer. I...