Caring For Aging Parents Support Group

Caring for aging parents can be a difficul time as we become the caretakers for our parents. This broad responsibility can encompass such services as assisted living, adult day care, long term care, nursing homes, hospice care, and in-home care. Whether you have just started caring for your parents or just need a place to talk, we're here.

2 Online
2 Online
  • elle16

new here

Hi, everyone. I've just joined, and I'm hoping I can get some guidance for how to cope with my situation. For the past 14 years, my very elderly parents (they're in their early 90s) have lived with my husband and me in a 900 square foot house which my husband and I (and the bank) own. My husband and I live in the basement, since my parents can't manage the stairs. Living conditions are not...
  • Community LeaderThePepperMan

A victory

We used to sit down (me, my wife and her mom) and plan out the meals for a week or two at a time. Then my MIL said she did not want to do it, I should just do it.OK by me.This last menu had Mac and Cheese and Ham on it. (My wife and I love it, we have a home made recipie we use.) MIL hates it. And she told me so. I told her that she declined to be part of the menu process, so this is the...
  • I am a 50 year old woman who lives with my 80 year old mom. She is fairly healthy which is a good thing but I find living with her brings a whole host of problems. Just today when I got home she showed me some financial paperwork and felt she had to explain it to me just so "when I'm gone" (as she always says) I'll know what to do. That's just it. Things tend to revolve around "when I'm gone."...
  • withlove

Run down

Both of parents have had a disease that has altered their mood. One of my parents lives in a nursing home and the other lives with me and my child. As my parents care giver i am feeling run down. My parent relies on me for everything and is capable of doing things on thier own. Like we will run out of toilet paper during the day, while I am at work, and they will not buy more. Even though we live...

Surgery for me

My sore shoulder (going on several years now) is a bone spur - rotator cuff issue. So I get to do surgery soon, Tuesday next (july 19) if all goes well with my pre-op physical.This will let me heal in time to do the scattering of ashes for my parents later in August.
  • swgirl78

Double whammy cancer

Hi all,I was referred over to this group from Healthy Relationships.My mom was diagnosed almost three years ago with Stage 4 ovarian cancer. She's gone back and forth between Taxol and Avastin, and it looks like they will need to switch her chemo again as her CA125 numbers just went up again. During her treatment, her quality of life has diminished significantly to the point where she rarely...
  • It's been months. This new site is very challenging! I so much trouble just getting back on! My mom is still hanging on. Her dementia is the same. Good and bad days. It's been hard enough but now it looks like I have bladder cancer. so many new things to think about. Found a Dr at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC that I will see next week. I just know nothing about this and how fast it...

Bossy MIL?

My poor dog, he ate something that did not agree with him and was sick much of yesterday. He pooped in the living room, something that he hardly ever does. (I blame us humans for not getting him outside for his walk soon enough in the day) But then later he had the runs and, well, left a mess on the carpet. I saw it as I was taking stuff to the compost pile, and I wanted to water plants while...
  • I am not sure if this is the correct support group, but I am just looking for others in my situation. My Dad is elderly and been having strokes and is now almost completely bed ridden. My mother was his caregiver at home, but now he is termporily in a nursing home as he recovers from an infrection from a bedsore. He is expected to be there for about 20 days. They moved close to me about...
  • Today DS sent me email with a new forced password and it worked when I got home...not so on Iphone from Moms where I was working in her yard all afternoon...I was chopping down saplings that have grown into small trees ect in her flower beds along the back wall to the lower back yard....I got the right side done today....I had gotten the front yard and the left side of the stairs done last week...
  • she seems to be doing well and is back to her bad assed self again *I say that in jest....LOL She is the sweetest of little old ladies I have ever known....:-)so today she said I hope my cars battery is not dead when I get home....ok so now my task is to take my battery charger over and see if I can start her car and if not turn on the battery chargeer and get her car charged back up....she had...
  • The house is on the market, I signed the papers a week or two ago. They are having an estate sale to clear things out. By Tuesday of next week I should have an empty house to look at.My, won't that be cheerful. :(Today, in about an hour, I meet with a contractor to go over a list of things that need to be fixed in the house. Add to that the electrical that is being fixed, gonna cost a lot to...
  • I hope the following helps others as it has helped me...A Caregivers Bill of RightsBy Wendy LustbaderI have the right:1.To take care of myself. This is not an act of selfishness. It will give me the capability of taking better care of my loved one.2.To seek help from others even though my loved one may object. I recognize the limits of my own endurance and strength.3.To maintain facets of my own...
  • JOZ

Looking for advice.

Just started dealig wth my aging mother she is 89 and has became very angy and losing the will to live. I have tried talking to her getting her out of the house and anything I can think of. Does anyone have any thing that may help my deal with this ?
  • My MIL woke up last night suffering from vertigo and diarrhea. My poor wife, as she ran to help her mom she smacked into a book case! I volunteered to help, but due to the nature of the problem I ws told I was not needed. (Rest assured that when diarrhea hit our children I just jumped in and helped. Mrs. Pepper and I could get a child cleaned up and back into a clean bed in under 10 minutes,...