Caring For Aging Parents Support Group

Caring for aging parents can be a difficul time as we become the caretakers for our parents. This broad responsibility can encompass such services as assisted living, adult day care, long term care, nursing homes, hospice care, and in-home care. Whether you have just started caring for your parents or just need a place to talk, we're here.

0 Online
  • melissa2487

I don't know what to do at this point...

I do not know where to go from here. To make a really REALLY long story short... my mom recently got out of the hospital. She was there for 2 weeks due to pnuemonia and some other issues. She has 1 leg so while she was in the hospital and getting better, they didn't let her out of the bed or anything to keep her strengh. She says she lost all her strength and while I'm not 100% doubting her, I...
  • Community LeaderThePepperMan

MIL regressing?

Had a bit of a blowup last night.  It was enchalada night, and we were out of sour cream.  (I use the MILD sauce)  but with neighbors out of sour cream, off to the store to get some.MIL loved them, even wanted seconds.  So my wife put one enchalada on her plate (they are rather small to start with, and it was not an entire enchalda either.)  MIL protested, almost started to cry.  It was too...
  • beautifulwalking

Caring for a narcissitic mother....

I don't want to say that I have it any harder than anyone else but ........ I am?  My patience is most likely tried more than most caretakers.   Mom didn't take care of me when I was little and now I have to deal with her and she isn't any less narcissistic in her old age.  I'm older and smarter and I've been through hell already with her all my life.  The difference now is I spot her lies...
  • carlyj1202

So sad.

I am not having to Care for an aging parent anymore.  God bless her as she did fight the big fight.  I am surprised that she stayed with us for 97 year's.  She could be a bit fussy at times (to say the least. lol) but she will surely be missed.
  • beautifulwalking

Joined this site today. Seeking support group.

I am very happy to have joined this group.  I have a mother who is 80.  Still very capable, living on her own but she is not living quite in reality.  I have been helping her to find a medicare provider facility to help her deal with her severe hearing loss.  She cannot afford another set of hearing aids that aren't going to work for her.  I asked her if she had an appt. yet last night and...
  • selfie

This feels like im being punished

For the last few weeks my brother has been calling mom and telling her he will come and take her for the weekend...so far this hasnt happened...i have noticed moms behaviour getting worse as each weekend comes to an end...dissapointment? I can understand that! But she has been taking it out on my husband, .constantly criticing and trying hard to get him angry..and it works, my hubby has had a few...
  • JCBFit

Hello

I'm new to this site today. just at a low point. it will be nice to speak to other in the same boat.
  • Wendy123

depressed

i'm really depressed today.  i don't even feel up to adding any other detail. 
  • Community LeaderThePepperMan

Selfish? I know. But plz use a damn wheel chair

My wife and I had a nice extended weekend up in the mountains.  We took some long walks, and had a nice drive around the lake.But, ....I would have loved to just stopped at various places and gottenout to look around.  There is a little zoo, a wild life discovery station, several scenic over looks, and lots of shops that will gladly separate me from my money.  But since MIL has limited walking...
  • Kimqidp

Elderly dad is a rage-aholic and mom an alcoholic

So at my wits end and could use advice (and to vent). Long story short: dad was a rageaholic my entire life. He could go for days and even weeks on end storming around and being nasty to everyone. I had a fairly miserable childhood always being on edge wondering what mood he would be in. I hid in my bedroom most of the time to avoid him. So did my brother. Mom was a very loving mom. She did her...
  • Denmom

Need advice

Hi everyone. Okay my mom put my name on her bank account and so that how I pay her bills. There is still money in there, but its dwindling down, so I don't want to totally drain it. She has another account that they've always told her that my name can't go on there. They won't let her take my dads name off, because that was his employment place and that's where her insurance is. I finally want to...
  • cinben

uti

so mom started feeling warm to me-normally her hands are like ice!I spoke w/dr. and took a urine sample in the office,im hoping a uti is the culprit,shes had them in the past.Maybe thats what accounts for the lack of appetite,malaise etc..
  • Denmom

Just a reminder

I just want to remind everyone that when your taking care of a loved one, you need to remember to take care of,yourself. I know we all hear that, but it's hard when we are so busy taking care of others, our own health can be neglected. I'm living with my 81 year old mom that has dementia. I'm married and have a son that lives at home, but I've been basically doing this on my own. We have a...
  • mnbwca

how to get answers from Assisted Living?

I am pulling my hair out. There's no smiley face for anger !!!  I have sent emails. voice messages . No replies.  Turns out her most recent nurse was gone.. so .. my voicemail didn't get heard. When I told him it's hard to know what to do when we, as family don't get a call back.  we want to be patient, but if that nurse isn't there how would we know that?  he said the message gets forwarded....
  • mnbwca

health care poa. rights?

As health care poa, i can decide where my mom lives.  what if my bro as finance poa refuses to pay it ? she is heading towards memory care.  we want her to be closer to us.  my bro who lives out of state is full of insults so I don't communicate with him anymore.  can i make the choice about where to move her independant of him?