Caring For Aging Parents Support Group

Caring for aging parents can be a difficul time as we become the caretakers for our parents. This broad responsibility can encompass such services as assisted living, adult day care, long term care, nursing homes, hospice care, and in-home care. Whether you have just started caring for your parents or just need a place to talk, we're here.

0 Online
0 Online
  • Community LeaderThePepperMan

Surgery for me

My sore shoulder (going on several years now) is a bone spur - rotator cuff issue. So I get to do surgery soon, Tuesday next (july 19) if all goes well with my pre-op physical.This will let me heal in time to do the scattering of ashes for my parents later in August.
  • she seems to be doing well and is back to her bad assed self again *I say that in jest....LOL She is the sweetest of little old ladies I have ever known....:-)so today she said I hope my cars battery is not dead when I get home....ok so now my task is to take my battery charger over and see if I can start her car and if not turn on the battery chargeer and get her car charged back up....she had...
  • The house is on the market, I signed the papers a week or two ago. They are having an estate sale to clear things out. By Tuesday of next week I should have an empty house to look at.My, won't that be cheerful. :(Today, in about an hour, I meet with a contractor to go over a list of things that need to be fixed in the house. Add to that the electrical that is being fixed, gonna cost a lot to...
  • I hope the following helps others as it has helped me...A Caregivers Bill of RightsBy Wendy LustbaderI have the right:1.To take care of myself. This is not an act of selfishness. It will give me the capability of taking better care of my loved one.2.To seek help from others even though my loved one may object. I recognize the limits of my own endurance and strength.3.To maintain facets of my own...
  • JOZ

Looking for advice.

Just started dealig wth my aging mother she is 89 and has became very angy and losing the will to live. I have tried talking to her getting her out of the house and anything I can think of. Does anyone have any thing that may help my deal with this ?
  • My MIL woke up last night suffering from vertigo and diarrhea. My poor wife, as she ran to help her mom she smacked into a book case! I volunteered to help, but due to the nature of the problem I ws told I was not needed. (Rest assured that when diarrhea hit our children I just jumped in and helped. Mrs. Pepper and I could get a child cleaned up and back into a clean bed in under 10 minutes,...
  • Hello everyone,I just joined this site and this group today so please let me know if I'm in the wrong place or need to follow certain rules. I just really needed someone to talk to, and I don't know a single person in my situation, and I simply couldn't handle another, "It'll all work itself out", from a well-meaning friend that has no idea HOW it will work itself out. So, a little background, my...
  • anything but tylenol for pain...this is her first day there and I have been contacting whoever I can telling them they need to give her the pain meds....she has spinal stenosis which I just learned from the nursing supervisor is not in her DX in her chart...and the doctor there only wrote for tramadol for pain when she has been on hydrocodone 10/325 for quite a while and has a pain management...
  • Please feel free to add bug reports to this post here. I have no idea how much input (if any) CLs have in the process. But I am happy to collect bug reports from all my support groups and, if given the chance, will push for them to be fixed.Please only one bug per reply. That makes it easeir for me to track this. If a bug appears in multiple places, then obviously lump them into one reply,...
  • they released her yesterday afternoon from hospital. She is doing ok. They got her dressed this morning but haven't given her any pain med yet.
  • they released her yesterday afternoon from hospital. She is doing ok. They got her dressed this morning but haven't given her any pain med yet.
  • BGons

Need some direction...

I am sure I am in the wrong place, but I figured someone here would be able to help me. Over the last few years, I've watched my parents age, and I need direction and encouragement. Thank goodness, they are both healthy, strong and very independant, but they are NOT the folks i remember growing up with, nor the same grandparents i saw interact with my oldest child just a few years ago. I don't...
  • again and she fell...hit head, arm, shoulder and back....so sister got called and they could not sit her up without her getting dizzy again so they got her to ER...not sure if mom went by ambulance or not....but she is hopefully going to be admitted to hospital due to age issues....she is approaching 92....in Sept.....
  • sherrytaylor1020

Medicaid

Where to begin I have been caring for my mom at home for about 4 years and well it is taking it toll. As we progress through Dementia/alzheimer's I am finding it more difficult to take care of her our home and our family. My husband and I thought we could find a suitable place for her but found the cost to place her is a suitable facility is astronomical . So I thought ok we can apply for...
  • Community LeaderThePepperMan

MIL is jelous

OK, just found out that my MIL is upset that she did not get to come on our vacation with us. There are several realities that she is ignoring. She is a smart person, so this says that she is being emotional about the issues rather than logical.She refuses to use a wheel chair. Yes, she can walk. But the reality is that one needs to walk about a mile or so when you take a plane ride. She is...