Caring For Aging Parents Support Group

Caring for aging parents can be a difficul time as we become the caretakers for our parents. This broad responsibility can encompass such services as assisted living, adult day care, long term care, nursing homes, hospice care, and in-home care. Whether you have just started caring for your parents or just need a place to talk, we're here.

2 Online
  • Community LeaderThePepperMan

Selfish? I know. But plz use a damn wheel chair

My wife and I had a nice extended weekend up in the mountains.  We took some long walks, and had a nice drive around the lake.But, ....I would have loved to just stopped at various places and gottenout to look around.  There is a little zoo, a wild life discovery station, several scenic over looks, and lots of shops that will gladly separate me from my money.  But since MIL has limited walking...
  • Kimqidp

Elderly dad is a rage-aholic and mom an alcoholic

So at my wits end and could use advice (and to vent). Long story short: dad was a rageaholic my entire life. He could go for days and even weeks on end storming around and being nasty to everyone. I had a fairly miserable childhood always being on edge wondering what mood he would be in. I hid in my bedroom most of the time to avoid him. So did my brother. Mom was a very loving mom. She did her...
  • Denmom

Need advice

Hi everyone. Okay my mom put my name on her bank account and so that how I pay her bills. There is still money in there, but its dwindling down, so I don't want to totally drain it. She has another account that they've always told her that my name can't go on there. They won't let her take my dads name off, because that was his employment place and that's where her insurance is. I finally want to...
  • cinben

uti

so mom started feeling warm to me-normally her hands are like ice!I spoke w/dr. and took a urine sample in the office,im hoping a uti is the culprit,shes had them in the past.Maybe thats what accounts for the lack of appetite,malaise etc..
  • Denmom

Just a reminder

I just want to remind everyone that when your taking care of a loved one, you need to remember to take care of,yourself. I know we all hear that, but it's hard when we are so busy taking care of others, our own health can be neglected. I'm living with my 81 year old mom that has dementia. I'm married and have a son that lives at home, but I've been basically doing this on my own. We have a...
  • mnbwca

how to get answers from Assisted Living?

I am pulling my hair out. There's no smiley face for anger !!!  I have sent emails. voice messages . No replies.  Turns out her most recent nurse was gone.. so .. my voicemail didn't get heard. When I told him it's hard to know what to do when we, as family don't get a call back.  we want to be patient, but if that nurse isn't there how would we know that?  he said the message gets forwarded....
  • mnbwca

health care poa. rights?

As health care poa, i can decide where my mom lives.  what if my bro as finance poa refuses to pay it ? she is heading towards memory care.  we want her to be closer to us.  my bro who lives out of state is full of insults so I don't communicate with him anymore.  can i make the choice about where to move her independant of him?
  • Frustratedandconfused

Dementia

I have a mom who has dementia im having a real hard time with her not being orginized,she is mean sometimes and refuses to let the staff of the assistant living  shower her. I get that because she is modist so me being the only girl out of four siblings I am the one who trys to help her take a shower and she fights me all the way. I know she has lost her independence and I know she is depressed...
  • billwfriend

I ordered a 15yard dumpster roll off to Moms today

we will be trying to clear junk probably everywhere in house into the dumpster. The basement is major clutter mess of junk. So tomorrow they should roll it off in driveway.Then the fun begins of loading up the wheeled rolling trash containers to haul them up the basement stairs outside to the dumpster to unload then start process over again.we have it seven days for $270... that means we work...
  • MichelleGreen

Frustrated w/bored parent being overly controlling

This is mostly just a rant so you can skip it if you prefer not to hear me blather on. It just feels good to be able to vent.I am 40 and my "father" who is in his 70's is living with me and my husband. Father is in quotes because he didn't actually raise me. It was only after I was an adult that I got to know him. He then became homeless and I took him in. He is able bodied enough to care for...
  • capriky

Being left in the dark

My mother is 88 and has been diagnosed with dementia.  She is in an assisted living facility and actually comes off as pretty capable although she likes to think she's very incapacitated.  In the past 6 months we have noticed a pattern of when she gets a good doctor's report, within 2 days, she start suffering from various "new ailments".  Two weeks ago, she and her visiting nurse made an...
  • billwfriend

Saturday 1-800-gotjunk came with truck

they brought 1/3 loaded truck....we had them clearing the two car garage...some other things as well but mostly the garage....we filled the 2/3 of that truck and they left to get another truck and came back to take what was still left behind...what is really funny is Mom always wanted the garage locked so nobody could steal the stuff we paid to have hauled away.....there was so much keepable...
  • Towanda

Does anyone else....

...set rules in your house and have a parent constantly break them? They're not even complicated. They're very simple, common sense requests! With all the responsibilitues i have, i'm so bloody tired of repeating myself to my mom. I opened up my house willingly to my mom after dad passed for many reasons: she wouldn't be alone, she needed care, she needed help, she needed to be closer to...
  • Towanda

The Neverending Long Road

It's been a very long neverending road... There is so much background but I'll try to be succinct. My mom was very sick 10 years ago at a hospital in the city where I live and we had no idea if she'd make it. It was 2.5 months of running back and forth to the hospital while I was trying to work and go to school. My dad tried to stay with me but it was impossible in my 1 bedroom apartment....
  • Sewreal

Help

I have been trying to get my mother into a nursing home, but I keep getting the run around. Can someone explain the process and what I need to do?  She has medicaid but I dont know if it is the right one. What papers do I need? Who do I need to speak with to find out? I am not getting any help taking care of her, except when I go to work. And they really just sit on their buts. No of my family...