Wives of Alcoholics Community Group

A forum of healing and help for wives of alcoholics.

1 Online
1 Online
  • I was thinking about how isolating it has been to be married to an alcoholic.We can't ever have friends over in the evenings because I don't know how drunk AH'll be and what inappropriate things he might say to someone (yes, been there, done that). So, very little social life.I don't feel I can talk openly with any couple-friends about his alcoholism. I've only told a few close, girlfriends. Not...
  • Pippi

Hi, I've just found this group, and thought it might be good for me.I'm not sure how to make this brief, but here goes. I've been married to my AH for 24 years. I knew he liked to drink when we met, but had no idea just how much. It's been an issue throughout our marriage, but started becoming a big problem a few years ago - and it's been getting worse. Just about all of his drinking happens...
  • Cadeer

Another night in hell

Things have been somewhat calm the last few weeks. But I know better than to get comfortable. Tonight AH had a friend over watching sports. They were drinking of course, but that's nothing new. I smiled at something on my phone. Who could guess the change of events that would follow? So he asked me what I was smiling about. I tried to explain a funny picture. His response 'well you...
  • Just when I thought maybe there was light at the end of the tunnel, had another terrible night with my AH. The argument was around a news story we had seen almost a year ago about a former neighbor of ours who had struggled with an addiction issue and over came that. I had forgotten about that news story and my AH took offense stating that not remembering this story was basically an example of...
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8SPwT3nQZ8
  • invisibleme

Two things

One, I start my counseling this morning, and am looking forward to this. Maybe the beginning to the end of some of my pain.Secondly, my AH just won't let me have anything good in my life. He "retailiates" when something good happens for me. I got to spend the day yesterday with two of our kids, at a fun event provided by one kid's summer job. This kid specifically invited me, and paid for my...
  • Hi. I am reaching out for support so this is my first time on a message board. I have been married for almost 14 years and together we have 4 children. My husband completely sober is awesome but in the evenings things change. He is a creature of habit and the habit for the last decade is drinking every night. He likes to debate naturally as he is an intellectual but in the after drinking He is...
  • Vanellope

A good day

I talked to my A before he had a chance to drink today. At first he was angry and tried to make it seem as if he was only tired from work not from drinking. I told him i was lonely and wanted to spend more time with him that i wanted him to not be passed out when i get home. Yes this was on the phone but it was my only chance to catch him before he got drunk. We ended up talking for 2 hours about...
  • Vanellope

Alcoholic partner

I posted in a differnet forum but I think i may get more help from ladies who know what it is like. I have been with my boyfriend for almost five years. Things have gotten worse and worse as time goes on. I know that making him leave wouldnt help him because his mother is an alcoholic as well. I would say 5 out of 7 days he is asleep and cannot be woken up when i get home. I get upset because he...
  • Some of you who have been here a few weeks or more may remember me mentioning an upcoming wedding I was stressed about. I couldn't imagine getting through this with AH and not being humiliated. The wedding was today. This sounds a little cruel, but AH came down with an infection yesterday. I certainly don't wish illness on him, but this was relatively harmless. And the timing was perfect....
  • bloomy

Just another night

Had another night when my AH had too much to drink, and started arguing. This time it was late, we watched a tv show with the kids and it was time for them to go to bed. He has always been on top on the issue of the kids going to bed on time, but tonight he decided that everyone should watch an old movie together... It was an R rated movie and would go until past midnight... I questioned...
  • This is my first post here - I am very new. My boyfriend of 4 years is an actively drinking alcoholic. I have recently been thinking about (and talking to him about) how I don't think the life of living with an alcoholic is what I want for my future. I've noticed that many of you are with your alcoholic husbands and discuss how hard of a life it is. How do I decide if my love for him will...
  • invisibleme

I did it

I took the plunge and called a therapist's office for an appointment. I'm waiting for a call back to schedule my first one. I had been so afraid of seeing a counselor, but I finally decided things weren't going to get better for me, by themselves. I had to do something different. I am going for me. I feel stuck in my life, and I need help getting unstuck.This isn't about trying to stay or leave...
  • I feel some relief in knowing there are other women who share the same challenges of living with AH. We have been married 13 yrs and have 3 children together. We met young and married young and I knew then he drank alot but when you're young and in love you over see alot of things. I should of seen the major red flags when he arrived at church on our wedding day stinking of major booze. I have...
  • Well, how do you like that title, LOL?! Someone brought this up in another thread (can't find the post right now) and I wondered if this were a common problem. My AH's alcohol abuse really skyrocketed in the last 6 to 8 months and twice he's woken up in the night and peed in an inappropriate place. (Claims it's a "sleep-walking" problem he has... funny, he never sleep-walked...