Parents of Addicts Community Group

A safe group for Mothers and Fathers of addicts, where we can share feelings, and ask for feedback.

0 Online
  • My 21 year old son recently told me he has been taking oxycontin. He said he was done with it, and the lies that accompanied the addiction and that he was going to get suboxen to help him stop. That was two months ago and we have talked several times and he assured me he was no longer taking pills. Yesterday, I got a call from his father (we have been separated for years) that our son stole $7000...
  • My son is 44 years old and has had mental/emothional issue from about the age of 6.  His problems from that time increased until he was hospitalized and received a diagnosis of Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Sociopath, Border line Schitsphenic, low IQ.  He has been in and out of hospitals most of his life as well as jails and a 17 month state in prison.  About 4 months ago he was...
  • lilacsformom

40 years of heroin use

My sweet sensitive son has suffered with this for so long despite many treatment efforts.We have tried everything.His body is in such horible shape .He suffers from severe swelling in his legs.feet and hands.He can no longer wear shoes or regular pants.He has been homeless for many years.After so much pain I moved a few years ago I could not watch this happening I stayed in touch and have tried...
  • Does anyone deal with an adult child that has a clear mental issue and drug issue? My son has been in and out of jail and will not change. He came back home again and only made it 2 days before blowing up to the point he gets tossed out. It is all my fault in his eyes. He will say all he did was just scream and break stuff because he was mad. ( His girl friend back 1.5 years ago hand a new person...
  • Vlc46

Just found out my son is an addict..

My son came downstairs to give me something a few weeks ago and I noticed the track marks.. When I asked, he said they were from working in a kitchen. I had my husband look at them and he admitted he made a mistake but said he was under control. We tried to talk to him but he didn't want to discuss it. He is out of money, already on probation for DUI and not meeting those requirements, and still...
  • missmaple

Saying Goodbye

I work with parents who have young children and sometimes I am the bearer of the news that their child has a problem - a learning disability perhaps, or even something as minor as a speech problem. I am so familiar with their shock, and grief as they mourn the fantasy child and then their rich process of coming to know and love their real child. I know that htese parents often come to know and...
  • cl1973

New here and heartbroken

My son, who is 20, is an addict. I'm heartbroken to say those words. I grew up in a home with an addict. So I have always talked to my kids about the dangers of drugs. So i keep asking myself where did I go wrong. My son's problem first began when he was 16, after my divorce. He and a group of his friends began smoking pot. After we found out we put him in counselling. For a while it seemed to...
  • lainca

Daughter checked in to detox first time

I could use some input here. My daughter who is a heroin addict has checked in to detox. I missed her call so I was unable to talk to her directly. Her dad did talk to her but I have not had a chance to really talk to him. Her friend told me about the detox (that was the number she called me from) and said she really needed it and she is trying to talk her in to at least outpatient treatment when...
  • kate52

Adult son addiction Help

I have not been on here for a while now, since dealing with the outcome of my daughter's addiction. She is fine now, doing well and away from drugs four years now..yeah!! Well after her success my son's problems became more obvious. He was living with his father who is an alcoholic. We have been divorced 16 years now but of course having children we still are in each other's life. I had to...
  • Rachel100

Grieving for the Living

Hello,I'm new to this group, but most definitely not new to addictions in my family. My father was an alcoholic. My son, my only child, is a drug addict, and now my grandson is a drug addict. Our grandson called us twice within these past ten days wanting money, or a place to stay (our house). I refused him both times. I explained that we have helped him with money in the past and he never...
  • missmaple

Hurray for therapy!

My therapist suggested "What if the next time he starts using again, you just say, 'Wow. That must be really hard for you.'" So the next time he did a lousy thing - scaring us all by arranging to see us and disappearing until we thought he was surely dead - I said "Wow. It sucks to be you. You are a person who does things like this and people will treat you like a person who does things like...
  • bbrave

My child is a heroin addict, who has never completed a any rehab program but continues to struggle against his addiction. He and his twin brother are currently staying with their father, my ex-husband, each for very different reasons. One son is temporarily there, recovering from a work injury and his brother, while saying he is clean, still exhibits the behaviors of someone using. They are 35.It...
  • deleted_user

New and looking for advice.

My son is now 19 and in rehab for drug addiction.. He will get out in one month.. We arranged it so he was court ordered in to rehab the day he got out of jail. He was in Jail for 40 days and detoxed in there. He seems sincere about wanting to recover and stay sober but the little voice inside of me keeps telling me to keep my guard up. He will be coming back home when he leaves rehab. I would...
  • Not talking of my personal life although I just lost my husband in Aug. Would have been married 50 yrs in Nov. but my son that is a recovering addict. 34 years old, still with a wife and 3 small children. They both work. Make twice or 3 times the money I do. But they still have money problems. I loaned them my husband's car because theirs broke. He wrecked it. Said he was going to fix it and now...
  • missmaple

younger brother still furious

My younger son remains (justifiably) furious with my older one - whose treatment of his younger brother was horrible while he was drinking. They are only 20 months apart, but the younger boy looked up to his brother and they were close before it all went south. I think that closeness made it even worse when my older one became so mean, abusive, and dishonest. They are now 18 and 20. It has been 2...