Empty Nests Support Group

Empty nest syndrome is a general feeling of depression and loneliness that parents/other guardian relatives feel when one or more of their children leave home. Empty nest syndrome has become more prevalent in modern times, as the extended family is becoming less common than in past generations, and the elderly are left living by themselves.

0 Online
0 Online
  • I am 64 yrs old have a 43 yr old son and a 28 yrs old daughter. I have two granddaughters 16 yrs old and 13 yrs old. I have a husband who is 69 yr old and a cat who is 17 yrs old. I have never had empty nest feelings when my son got married and my daughter moved out a year ago. My children live within an hour of me. I see my granddaughters and go to their soccer games. I had a falling out with my...
  • Jlhall71

How do I go on?

I am 45 years old and have devoted the past 25 years of my life to my two boys who are 25 and 20. My 25 year old left my household at 14 to go live with his father. It was devastating. There was much resistance to letting me be much involved with his life from that point going forward. I resent his father greatly for that. Today he is 25, lives in Chicago and very independent. I feel we are...
  • rosebudmom

Hello

Hello, I am new to this group. I am a 56 year old grandma to 2 beautidul grandsons and another grandbaby due in Jan. My son and daughter in law lived with us when my 1st. grandson was born almost 4 years ago, then moved out when he was 3 months old. It was very hard on me. I just held my son and cried. They only moved 1 hour away. 3 months after that, my son lost his job and they moved back in....
  • Firegrl607

Such a struggle

I'm a single mom. My daughter graduated high school last year. First year of college was a disaster. Now she's announced that she's moving out the end of the month. She is in no way prepared. But she is moving into a "basement apartment" with her best friend in his mom's house. So at least I know she will be safe. I feel like I've been on an emotional roller coaster since she's made this...
  • edana

Parent to Friend?

As you'll see from my other posts, my son dropped me like a hot potato when he left home - but due to my recent illness, I've become desperate to fix our relationships, if it can be fixed. After much soul-searching and self-blame, apologizing to my son for my perceived failings - I thought I was being a caring, responsible mother - he thought I was being stern and critical. In an attempt to...
  • autiemom

Back Again

Hey everyone!I wrote a post introducing myself a while ago, but can't find it on here. I am sorry I haven't responded to your responses. I've been super busy with my autistic son's therapies the last few months. He has 8 hours of ABA a week, mental health therapy once a week (school therapy twice a month during the summer), speech therapy once a week, plus respite 18 hours a week, and is going to...
  • DAwn

My little family

I think this is what I have. I just realised last night when I broke down into hysterical crying for about the 100th time since my son left home.Long story short, he met a girl August, they were 6-8 weeks pregnant by mid-november, parents by July, married in Feb! She sure was determined she'd get his ass! I don't blame her to be honest, he's a pretty good catch. Handsome, kind, caring, working....
  • I've read through most of the posts about children leaving and how bad empty nest syndrome is but it seems like it is only the woman posting.Our younger son leaves for freshman year in college next week and while it has always been my wife that falls apart whenever something changes, this time it seems to be hitting me much harder than her.Our older son was always traveling and independent so...
  • My son left for University this September and I cant believe how much pain I'm in and it doesn't seem to be easing.I did not expect to feel this way as a single parent to just him we where very close when he was younger but grew apart when the teenage years and computer games, friends became his priority. He disappeared to his room even for meals and I rarely set eyes on him. It was a difficult...
  • My mother passed away 27 yrs ago. My father who was 94 just passed in January. I was very close with my day. I have 3 siblings and there was a lot of drama when my dad was in hospice. I was with him all four days till he passed in my arms. My two sister and I got into an argument because they wanted to know if I had a copy of his will. To shorten the story my son took there side and now after...
  • Saddad0725

Doing OK

I posted on this site a few years ago when my only child, a son, moved away for college. I was dysfunctional for over a week. I did adjust and things got better. My son returned home after one year and has lived with us up to this past weekend. He moved out with his girlfriend on Saturday. I wasn't sure how I would handle it, but I though I would be more prepared this time. I was right. I...
  • Hi I read all the entries so I feel comfortable sharing mine. My youngest son is leaving today - I am a single parent - I feel so unhappy and lonely. I know it is silly but I cant help it. I start crying for no reason. He is advancing his career and I am so proud and happy for him. I just feel empty and sad. So I thought I would just join the group and tell my feelings. This is new for me...
  • danapca

Scared and powerless

How do we get through this? How do we go from being the parents who knew everything and protected our child from harm to allowing her to leave the safe protection of her home? How do we watch as she grows and learns and has great adventures? How do we let her go? How do we let her fall and not want to run over and catch her when she makes mistakes? I just dont know how we do it. I dont know how...
  • hi everyone,i m new here, so i dont really know how it works.. all i know is that my only daughter is off to college in three months, and even though i always knew it would be difficult for me since i m a single mom, i never anticipated the horrible, physical and mental pain i m feeling now.. for the past week i have ended up crying in the shower,( so that she doesnt know) , multiple times each...
  • OceanStar

EXCRUCIATING PAIN

So it is my youngest daughter's 20th birthday tomorrow and it is a very special occasion to me because now both of my daughters are 'officially' out of the teenage years. I raised them completely on my own for seventeen years and to me, it is special because it signifies the end of the years from HELL I went through with them, when they were teenagers. To me, it signifies a new beginning, which...