Empty Nests Support Group

Empty nest syndrome is a general feeling of depression and loneliness that parents/other guardian relatives feel when one or more of their children leave home. Empty nest syndrome has become more prevalent in modern times, as the extended family is becoming less common than in past generations, and the elderly are left living by themselves.

0 Online
  • My oldest is a senior in college, my only daughter will leave next week to be a freshman in college. My youngest is a junior in high school. I have gotten used to my oldest being gone during the college terms, but sending my daughter off seems so hard. She has always kept me in the loop with activities and I will miss her dearly. My youngest son is driving now and I feel that I am not needed...
  • tldean65

Single parent, only child

I have raised my 22 year old daughter alone since she was an infant.  She graduated from college this May and somehow I managed her college years just fine. I guess I always knew that there would be holidays, summers, breaks, etc.  We certainly had our ups and downs during those four years but always managed to work them out.  Today she is moving into her apartment for grad school and I have...
  • asw1207

Empty nest heartbreak

Hey guys,Not sure where to start....eyes are burning and puffy from crying all day. Nothing could have prepared me for this moment until I actually had to live it. Almost six months ago after failed refinance due to my poor FICO score and my husband only having been at his new job for a short time(after having been laid off for nine months and almost half his previous salary pay cut even with an...
  • Stephgm67

I Thought I Had This Under Control...However....

Hi there. I'm a single mom whose son is heading off to college this weekend.  I work, and it sometimes involves travel, so I've been away from my son before certainly. I thought I had this under control.  Instead, I am breaking into tears at the drop of a hat. I feel VERY lonely. I know I'm supposed to be happy for him (and I am) but I'm also very sad. What do others out there do?  What helps?...
  • Dphin74

Never realized how lonely would be kids move out

I have been a stay at home parent for 22 years three kids 22, 20 and 18.  My 18 year old baby girl left for college and I am going nuts my 20 old daughter is at college and my 22 year old boy he does come home for laundry and food he works as a welder.  But I don't know what to do.  My life was devoted to them I did everything I could for them and July 16, 2017 was hardest day of my life.  My...
  • mamaof6

Taking things hard4yh ch

I have a unique history. I had 5 kids by the time I was 23 and then another one when I was 37. I can't say I was a great mom, I was so overwhelmed and determined to get through high school and college. The four oldest have the same dad and he was abusive and no help at all. I really struggled until I was about 25. Fast forward to today and I'm married to my best friend. He and I went to high...
  • kizzi

Worried about having an empty nest?

I want to help you.My book will be published this summer. It’s about the Empty Nest Syndrome and the silent pain this can cause, creating sadness, anxiety, loneliness and depression and how you can leave all this behind to find your truth, your other reason to be living at this time, on this planet, beyond motherhood.I am currently looking for case studies to work with before I submit my final...
  • xtina16405

Single Mom Empty Nest

My one and only son is away at college. I am in California and he is in Washington. It has been tough. I divorced his dad when my son was 4. It has been just my son and me for the last 14 years. I am working hard at not getting depressed. I miss him. I want to give him his space and I don't want to be a helicopter parent. I miss talking to him or texting him. Most importantly, I miss hugging him....
  • Learning101

Has anyone single parent here followed their child

Hello, new here. 
  • AuntyM

Sad..

I knew this day was coming but didnt know how lost I would feel. My 21 year old nephew (who I've mothered since he was 3 weeks old) moved 80 miles away with his girlfriend to attend college. Of course he will visit but I doubt he will ever move back home. My family is extremely close. I've lived with my brother his kids along with our handicapped mother until she passed away 3 years ago. I am so...
  • CopingNow

What's working for any of you

I have been on this particular group for a year or more.  I have found that sometimes when I come to this group I read other posts and even post I start to feel better.  Then I don't come on for awhile.  So I feel like I am not really great at supporting others.I feel like I need to figure things out.  I have been back in my rut where things are just fine Monday-Friday when I am working but...
  • EllaR

Newcomer Needs Support/Advice

I am turning 40 this August and last fall my daughter moved out to start college.  She is nearby and I still see her and talk to her nightly.  So I didn't actually think I was suffering from empty nest syndrom.  For the past few months, I have been in crisis mode.  What's the point?  No desire to do all the normal things I used to do, cleaning, cooking, shopping etc.  I just sit and watch...
  • lonely2017

Empty nest is making me miserable

My youngest of three son's has graduated from high school and will be moving out to go to college in the fall. I have been deeply depressed each time one of my kids moves out but since this is the last one it is the worst. I feel miserable. I am sick at my stomach and I want to cry all of the time. I have always enjoyed being a mom. It is my favorite thing in life. I can't stand not seeing my...
  • Shaynesmom

Looking for support

My 23 year old son just left home today with friends who flew up from FL to help him move there from here, VT.  He has lived with us full-time since high school and I can't stop crying.  I feel so isolated despite having a wonderful husband (his step-dad) and great friends.  My stomach is  in knots and my mind is racing.  How do you cope with this?  We are very close and have had a great...
  • su4stu

Daughter and grandchildren moving out

My daughter had my granddaughter at only 15 and they have lived with my husband and I for the past 8 years.  I love being a mum and absolutely adore my granddaughter, we have a very close bond and spend a huge amount of time together.  My daughter is getting married soon and is moving 20 miles away to be nearer her future husbands work as he doesn't drive, I know it's not far but the thought of...