Empty Nests Support Group

Empty nest syndrome is a general feeling of depression and loneliness that parents/other guardian relatives feel when one or more of their children leave home. Empty nest syndrome has become more prevalent in modern times, as the extended family is becoming less common than in past generations, and the elderly are left living by themselves.

0 Online
0 Online
  • katie53224

My heart is broken

I am a single mom living in Wisconsin and just got back from driving my youngest son to Arizona to attend ASU as a junior. He did 2 years of college in Wisconsin playing basketball and I got to go to games all the time, but now he's thousands of miles away. My heart is broken and I don't know how to make it through the day. He's so far away that I can't just visit any time and everything in my...
  • Sadgma

So sad

So depressed not sure what to do. My grandkids just move across the country, we used to have them every weekend. They are 1 , 2 and 3. My son is Air Force so he is always gone and my daugbter starts college next week and decided she needs to have more of a social.life and i cant be her best friend any longer. Major family drama that destroyed all.of my relationships with my sisters and...
  • I have two amazing kids, both doing as well, way better actually, than I could hope for. I am single, their Mom is around, but I had sole custody the last 8 years. My son is 21, about to be a senior in college and already has a job lined up. When he left for school, my daughter and I were alone here the last 3 years and we have become fierce buddies. I am dropping her at school, about 7 hours...
  • I treasured my children as they were growing up as I'm sure everyone on here did. My husband was never on the same page. He was annoyed, burdened, and as soon as they were all 18, he stopped supporting them. He retired early from a federal job and has been traveling around the world for the last two years. He didn't invite any of us. I have stayed home with our children and talked them into going...
  • fmwhite1967

Empty Nest Father

Dropped my daughter off at college yesterday. Meeting up with her later today to get some last minute things and say out goodbyes. Heading back home 900 miles away tomorrow. Torn between being proud of her and depressed about not having my daughter at home anymore.
  • Sufferers of empty nest syndrome, according to Susan Whitbourne's blog on Huffpost, "feel that they've outlived their usefulness and sense of purpose." That certainly describes my feelings, and perhaps many others here. I am new to this group and would like a friend to release my hurt to, and will listen to any of you who respond, with compassion, understanding, and non-judgemental...
  • My daughter is 17 & talking about going to college next year. Im 53 & having a hard time picturing life without her
  • Jlhall71

How do I go on?

I am 45 years old and have devoted the past 25 years of my life to my two boys who are 25 and 20. My 25 year old left my household at 14 to go live with his father. It was devastating. There was much resistance to letting me be much involved with his life from that point going forward. I resent his father greatly for that. Today he is 25, lives in Chicago and very independent. I feel we are...
  • Firegrl607

Such a struggle

I'm a single mom. My daughter graduated high school last year. First year of college was a disaster. Now she's announced that she's moving out the end of the month. She is in no way prepared. But she is moving into a "basement apartment" with her best friend in his mom's house. So at least I know she will be safe. I feel like I've been on an emotional roller coaster since she's made this...
  • DAwn

My little family

I think this is what I have. I just realised last night when I broke down into hysterical crying for about the 100th time since my son left home.Long story short, he met a girl August, they were 6-8 weeks pregnant by mid-november, parents by July, married in Feb! She sure was determined she'd get his ass! I don't blame her to be honest, he's a pretty good catch. Handsome, kind, caring, working....
  • edana

Parent to Friend?

As you'll see from my other posts, my son dropped me like a hot potato when he left home - but due to my recent illness, I've become desperate to fix our relationships, if it can be fixed. After much soul-searching and self-blame, apologizing to my son for my perceived failings - I thought I was being a caring, responsible mother - he thought I was being stern and critical. In an attempt to...
  • rosebudmom

Hello

Hello, I am new to this group. I am a 56 year old grandma to 2 beautidul grandsons and another grandbaby due in Jan. My son and daughter in law lived with us when my 1st. grandson was born almost 4 years ago, then moved out when he was 3 months old. It was very hard on me. I just held my son and cried. They only moved 1 hour away. 3 months after that, my son lost his job and they moved back in....
  • I am 64 yrs old have a 43 yr old son and a 28 yrs old daughter. I have two granddaughters 16 yrs old and 13 yrs old. I have a husband who is 69 yr old and a cat who is 17 yrs old. I have never had empty nest feelings when my son got married and my daughter moved out a year ago. My children live within an hour of me. I see my granddaughters and go to their soccer games. I had a falling out with my...
  • autiemom

Back Again

Hey everyone!I wrote a post introducing myself a while ago, but can't find it on here. I am sorry I haven't responded to your responses. I've been super busy with my autistic son's therapies the last few months. He has 8 hours of ABA a week, mental health therapy once a week (school therapy twice a month during the summer), speech therapy once a week, plus respite 18 hours a week, and is going to...
  • I've read through most of the posts about children leaving and how bad empty nest syndrome is but it seems like it is only the woman posting.Our younger son leaves for freshman year in college next week and while it has always been my wife that falls apart whenever something changes, this time it seems to be hitting me much harder than her.Our older son was always traveling and independent so...