Empty Nests Support Group

Empty nest syndrome is a general feeling of depression and loneliness that parents/other guardian relatives feel when one or more of their children leave home. Empty nest syndrome has become more prevalent in modern times, as the extended family is becoming less common than in past generations, and the elderly are left living by themselves.

1 Online
  • pokgirl

Kids Gone

Youngest went off to college, son is at college, and oldest moved back, but never here......Glad to see others feel the same...Hard to adjust to this season of life. Work keeps me busy, but am lonely for friendships. Kids and their sports were my life. Feels like I have a big empty hole in my soul!...My husband seems to handle this better.....Surely, others long for that friendship too... how has...
  • cunninka

Single Mother Feeling Isolated

I need some help and support ... and guidance.  Something!!  I sure hope you can help me. My son and his girlfriend are both 26-years old.  My son graduated from college last year and has lived with me his entire life.  Upon graduation and getting a good paying job, he naturally became eager to fly away from the nest.  He has a girlfriend of the same age, so he began looking for a...
  • Icantbeleiveit

New to this and surprised that I am having issue

Hello,  I am a father of a recent baby(20 years old) moving out over 3 hours away to be with her Boyfriend.And I am struggling with this more than I thought I would. I am happy for her to get out and spread her wings. not real thrilled on her moving in with boyfriend. But I know it happens as the wife and I did the same thing. But stayed near our familys.   I really do not understand why it...
  • gurlyclimber

Single Mom, Empty Nester

Hi everyone.  I'm grateful to have found this forum.  I'm suffering and need to vent. I have been a single mother of 2 boys for 17 years.  My oldest son moved out of the house 2 years ago for school.  My youngest left 3 weeks ago.  I remember moments throughout their lives where I would find myself dreading this very time.  I understnad that this is a necessary transistion for their life...
  • Kissm5

Childhood memories and one leaving the nest soon

I am a father.  The more you love something, the harder it hurts when it is gone.  While you will always have a son or a daughter, their childhood ends, and they are their own person after a certain point.  I loved being a father of children.  The days were filled with holding hands, walks to school, recitals, camping trips, piano lessons, homemade presents, playing board games, far-away...
  • tldean65

Single parent, only child

I have raised my 22 year old daughter alone since she was an infant.  She graduated from college this May and somehow I managed her college years just fine. I guess I always knew that there would be holidays, summers, breaks, etc.  We certainly had our ups and downs during those four years but always managed to work them out.  Today she is moving into her apartment for grad school and I have...
  • FurryKidsToo

Another Single Mom

Like almost everyone else, I knew this day would come. My only son is 29 and married 2 years ago. I became an instant grandma because he married someone with 2 little boys from a previous marriage. All 4 of them have been living with me since they married, which, believe it or not, has mostly been very good. Lots of adjustments, some remodeling, but overall a good experience. In the past few...
  • Kats5

Feeling the empty nest with only one child left

My oldest is a senior in college, my only daughter will leave next week to be a freshman in college. My youngest is a junior in high school. I have gotten used to my oldest being gone during the college terms, but sending my daughter off seems so hard. She has always kept me in the loop with activities and I will miss her dearly. My youngest son is driving now and I feel that I am not needed...
  • rdunn

Rough Day

Today is my son's birthday. He recently got married, moved, and started a new job. While he was in college I was blessed to have him living at home. I did fine when he got married. He married a sweet Christian girl that I have known since before she was in Kindergarten. All this being said, I really struggled today. This is the first time in 23 years that I have not gotten to celebrate with him....
  • Dphin74

Never realized how lonely would be kids move out

I have been a stay at home parent for 22 years three kids 22, 20 and 18.  My 18 year old baby girl left for college and I am going nuts my 20 old daughter is at college and my 22 year old boy he does come home for laundry and food he works as a welder.  But I don't know what to do.  My life was devoted to them I did everything I could for them and July 16, 2017 was hardest day of my life.  My...
  • Amelias-mom

My daughter is struggling at college

I have been very emotional since taking my daughter to college. The worst part is she is struggling to find friends and is feeling depressed. I try to reassure her but I can hardly keep it together when we talk. She came home for the long weekend and we both ended up bawling. At least she really enjoys her classes. I'm afraid my sadness is making it harder for her. I am a teacher, so I am very...
  • The other one will also be leaving for grad school at the end of the month. Having dealt with it for four years, I thought it would not be a big deal, but those feeling do creep up momentarily off and on. :(
  • asw1207

Empty nest heartbreak

Hey guys,Not sure where to start....eyes are burning and puffy from crying all day. Nothing could have prepared me for this moment until I actually had to live it. Almost six months ago after failed refinance due to my poor FICO score and my husband only having been at his new job for a short time(after having been laid off for nine months and almost half his previous salary pay cut even with an...
  • Stephgm67

I Thought I Had This Under Control...However....

Hi there. I'm a single mom whose son is heading off to college this weekend.  I work, and it sometimes involves travel, so I've been away from my son before certainly. I thought I had this under control.  Instead, I am breaking into tears at the drop of a hat. I feel VERY lonely. I know I'm supposed to be happy for him (and I am) but I'm also very sad. What do others out there do?  What helps?...
  • mamaof6

Taking things hard4yh ch

I have a unique history. I had 5 kids by the time I was 23 and then another one when I was 37. I can't say I was a great mom, I was so overwhelmed and determined to get through high school and college. The four oldest have the same dad and he was abusive and no help at all. I really struggled until I was about 25. Fast forward to today and I'm married to my best friend. He and I went to high...