Caregivers Support Group

A voluntary caregiver is a spouse, relative, friend or neighbor of a disabled person or child who assists with activities of daily living and assists those unable to fully take care of themselves. The challenges of a caregiver are unique and sometimes it's hard to find people to talk to who know what you're going through. Join the conversation and find others who understand.

0 Online
  • ruthgrps

How would you feel if ................

I've been a carer for 21 years for my daughter who has had a heart transplant, has numerous other medical problems, such as epilepsy, asmtha eczema, high bp, other heart things.  She had her heart transplant in 2008 she was 12, just recently she said to me that if she had known what she is like now, and had had the authority she would have said no to the heart transplant.  This means that she...
  • angel0761

Feeling like a Slave

I have been a caregiver for my husband, going on six years and at times, I do feel like a slave. I'm on call 24 hours. There seems like endless task to do. It seems like I can never get everything done. I need a vacation, even if its just 2 or 3 days. I love my husband but its not easy sometimes. I guess I should count my blessings because things could be worse.
  • tiredcaregiver

A ? for those who also have children

We have children that have all moved out of the house. If I need to go somewhere and need a break I have to call one of them. I feel like we are a burden to them. They will come and most of the time do not complain about helping. My question is, is it fair to keep expecting them to help since they all have so much going on. I am not able to afford to hire someone to stay with my husband and just...
  • tiredcaregiver

I'm back...

Hello,Looks like not much activity on this board. I am checking in to see how people are doing. I am a caregiver for my husband. He requires 24/7 care since 2009. It's been a struggle but what I am struglling with is now I am also an empty nester. The past 6 months have been the most difficult. Not sure how much longer I can keep taking care of my husband by myself. How do you all handle the...
  • Phoebesfriend

^ years and Counting

I realize DS is less then what it used to be.But I am willing to give it a try. On Feb 1st I will have been a caregiver for 6 years. To say it has been trying is an understatment. I never knew how much I would need to put me behind and him first. It has been very difficult. Anyone else know how to keep going after so long ?Thanks.
  • Kerriene

Help

i have been coping on my own trying to care for my dying Mother who I do love dearly but feel I am close to breaking point.  No one in my family really understands what I am going through and I just need some coping mechanisms as I can't stop crying alone and putting on a brace face for everyone around me. I can't speak to my friends as they do not want to listen to my depressing story and I...
  • jaf28

A new member . . .

I'm needing to just post some random challenges Im dealing with. I take care of my 94 year old mother - she just moved to skilled nursing home, and my 80 year old husband at home. I'm 70. I've been taking care of mom for 25 years. Longer than it took her to raise me. My husbands health has deteriorated a lot in the last 5 years. At times it has been overwhelming. Right now I'm knee deep in...
  • RebeccaJo

Looking for Guidance

Hi everyone. I'm new to support groups but I think it's definitely time for me to join one. Fair warning, this will probably be a long first post... I apologize. I'm in a unique situation where I am the primary caregiver for my 82 year old maternal grandparents. I've been trying to find books for caregiver for grandparents but there don't seem to be any. Here's a little background for you...My...
  • KimFredricksonPF

Appreciation to Caregivers!

Hello Everyone,I am new to this group. I have been gving care to my husband who had a hip rplacement. His need for help won't be for long, but it helped me have a new appreciation for all you caregivers do for your loved ones. I have pulmonary fibrosis and my husband helps me a lot except for when he just had surgery. I wrote a post today for pulmonaryfibrosisnews thanking caregivers. This one is...
  • figuredout

Dementia Caregiver With No Family Member To Trust

Hello! I am a young adult taking care of my mother who has mid-stage dementia. Latest challenges are that she has no sensation of having eaten so she keeps reeating and she has a sense of entitltement about my time and attention. I could talk for days about how hard it has been to watch her decline and how sad it is to watch her struggle with basic things daily. She is 61, and I see her peers...
  • PaleOxymoron

I just joined.

I just made this account.  I'm a single mother and a caregiver of two adults as well as my child.
  • justacaregiver

Does anyone remember...........

Does anyone remember the old T.V. sets? Remember that uncle that laways had to adjust the fine tuning button? He would keep on "adjusting" the picture until there was nothing but fuzz? I guess that no matter where you go, there you are.
  • MelB

Does anyone ever post on here?

Where is everyone?
  • 2earlyriser

anxiety about her return

My wife will be home in less than two weeks. Good news. I am prepared to take care of her again. Along with the extra chores I worry that I may lose myself in her care again. I am not saying I do not want to care for her...my love for her is that I will step in when she cannot do something. She's learned a great deal about strengthen her muscles so she can walk a short distance and stand to...
  • KiddoGal

What the heck happened to this site

Seems like I am either stupid or they have completely blown the re-design of the site.  Anyone agree?