Caregivers Support Group

A voluntary caregiver is a spouse, relative, friend or neighbor of a disabled person or child who assists with activities of daily living and assists those unable to fully take care of themselves. The challenges of a caregiver are unique and sometimes it's hard to find people to talk to who know what you're going through. Join the conversation and find others who understand.

0 Online
0 Online
  • Where is everyone?
  • My wife will be home in less than two weeks. Good news. I am prepared to take care of her again. Along with the extra chores I worry that I may lose myself in her care again. I am not saying I do not want to care for her...my love for her is that I will step in when she cannot do something. She's learned a great deal about strengthen her muscles so she can walk a short distance and stand to...
  • Seems like I am either stupid or they have completely blown the re-design of the site. Anyone agree?
  • I moved from CA to TX 8 yrs ago to help with my aging parents and with my personality, just took the load of all the work... 3 months ago my Dad passed away after 62 years of marriage to my Mom. Mom has to use a walker a barely gets around. She is devastated, losing all hope at this point and wont eat unless someone is there to cook and take the food to her and eat with her. I have 2 siblings...
  • blueviolet725

edema

husband has edema at his ankles and feet. we have a doctor's appointment in two weeks. he says it is from flying...but he has been back 3 days.1. I guess I have to start checking him as well as mom2. time for more meds for hubby? blood pressure was up a couple of days ago too...but he is still on meds for his sinus infection.CRAP! everything has side effects
  • 2earlyriser

June 30th

June 3oth is the tentative date for my wife to come home. I have a few things at the house to take care of beforehand.
  • 2earlyriser

she's doing great

My wife is doing wonderfully. I talked to the PT and he said that she can come home in 1-2 weeks. He wants to work on a few things with her. I finished the wheelchair ramp. I brought my wife out to see what I would need to adjust with the ramp or inside the house. The ramp worked great. I need to move a few things inside the house, but that is minor. I had to transfer her to the sitting...
  • xxmadxx

Lifting...best way

I have to help my mom stand from sitting position, from bathroom couch, bed car etc. As she's gotten sicker, she doesn't push as much with her legs anymore, my stomach qand lower abdomen her starting to ache constantly.Last night I tried to help her up from the couch she didn't make it to standing, I pulled hard, and got pains in my female parts, I just sit down in the floor and cried.We go to...
  • 2earlyriser

home safe

I made it safely home. While I was gone my wife grew stronger. She walked farther than she has in a long time four days in a row this week. I finally got ahold of the city to come and inspect the work on the ramp. It was approved and now I can finish it today. I talked to both of my wife's PT's, they are very pleased with her progress, saying that she is doing remarkably well. I caught a cold...
  • blueviolet725

what do you think?

this was my post in aging parents about mom:Mom had a good check up from the doctor today...her words. he told her that her blood pressure was 120/under 50.....I was alarmed. She asked him to lower, or eliminate her high blood pressure meds, now that she is retired. (86 in august). He said she should drink more water, get more exercise (she just finished physical therapy for siatica) and come...
  • blueviolet725

Very tough talk

When my husband was well fed, hydrated and rested, we had a tough talk. He said, you seem unhappy. I explained that he has been having a couple of low blood sugar episodes with outbursts a day.I could only describe it as PMS, but instead of one week a month it could be multiple times a day.I asked him to track his sugars - he usually will not- and to think about making changes to his...
  • I've come to believe that there's a bright lining to every could. Saturday the PT at the nursing home talked to me about the wheelchair ramp I'm building for my wife. He said that when its done she can come home sooner than what they planned. Her strength has improved remarkably over the past week. She walked 75-80' one day, farthest she's walked since she's been in. We went to the urologist last...
  • 2earlyriser

stronger

Yesterday when I went to visit my wife at the home she was up and in a wheelchair. This was nice to see because she's usually in bed. She looked tired so I asked her if she wanted to get into bed...it was early evening. I positioned the wheelchair near the bed so she wouldn't have to go far to get in. She stood up, turned around and sat on the bed all on her own! I was so happy and proud! I did...
  • rubyd

No help from anyone

It is true when your love one dies things as far as non support will go on. It didn't change for me. My adult children knew I was home alone with my stroke husband. One of my kids said that he couldn't bring hisself to come over because out of sight out of mind. It hurt to see his Dad like that. What about lending a hand sometime. My daughter went on living with her live in boyfriend like...
  • 2earlyriser

in the hospital

Received a call last Friday that the nursing home was taking my wife to the hospital. The results from a urine and blood test showed she had a UTI and renal failure. She was admitted and is still in. Yesterday I asked the nurse about her condition and she said the kidney damage was caused by the nursing home giving her too much naproxen for pain. The damage to her kidneys cannot be fixed. I...