Parents of Children with ADHD Support Group

This community is designed as an open forum where the parents and guardians of children with ADHD (Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder) can give and receive support, as well as discuss ideas, techniques, concerns, surprises, and challenges they may face with their children.

0 Online
0 Online
  • My son has the kindest, most loving heart, if only people could see past his "silly" and "annoying" traits. Yes, he is young for his age but why should that matter? We all complain that we wish we could keep our kids, kids for as long as possible! If people can't see him for what's really inside, they don't deserve to know that side of him anyway! It hurts me so much when he comes home from...
  • Hello I am a mother of a bright, outgoing, sweet 6 year old daughter who was diagnosed just yesterday with ADHD. I am hoping some parents out there can give me some tips or websites on parenting a child with ADHD. How to handle melt downs, how to help her with with sleeping, how to help her behavior. Basically any suggestions, tips would be appreciated. Thank you
  • faykay

Foster care

I don't seem to be able to find a place for help, so I'm asking for help or guidance here. I am a grandparent whose grandchildren have recently been placed in foster care. I cannot begin to tell you how difficult this is for me. I am unable to take the children in myself because of circumstances that I will not go into at this time.One of the grandkids has been diagnosed with ADHD in addition to...
  • My son was diagnosed with learning disabilities, ADHD and ODD when he was 11. It was a pretty rough time for him and our family. We went through a lot of therapy, parenting classes, support groups and changing schools over the years following. He is now 18 and will be graduating from a private catholic high school in May. It was not easy, but it was possible. There were a lot of sleepless...
  • Hi Everyone! My name is Crystal. I am new here and could use a little advice. My son was diagnosed with ADHD some time last year and is currently has an IEP and 504 plan at school. The medication he is on was causing him to sleep a lot so I took him off (bad idea...I see now). Well...I received a call from his teacher on yesterday stating that his behavior has been a bit much for the past month...
  • Hello, I have a 5.5 year old who just went through the entire IEP/psycho-educational testing at school. He is an AWESOME kid who I have known is "different" for about 3 years. According to the IEP team he has a very likely probability of autism according to me and the teachers answers. and he has clinically significant concerns in areas of hyperactivity (he has already been diagnosed by...
  • rebecca19831

lost a fur baby

One of my fur babies (dog) has been sick for awhile. We almost lost her during surgery to get her teeth cleaned. we choose not to put her through that again. friday she was having coughing fits due to her lungs and heart filled with fluid and she collapsed twice while my little man was at school. my mom and I made the decision to bring her to the vet to be put down due to her being very very...
  • I don't know what to do, I don't know where to start. it's just been so hard for a while now and i have no support system to mention of except for Dyfs, and Bergen's Promise, and the supports that they put into place, outside of that I don't have one friend that I can really talk to that can help in anyway. i don't have any friends at all. My five year old son is a true god sent. He is my miracle...
  • Hi, i am a young single working mother of a 4 year old little boy. i work evenings so i can be there to help him as much as possible in the day. He can be an absolute dream but he can also be very challenging. Since before the age of 1 ADHD was suggested as at 6 months old he started to headbang, which he continued to do for a number of years. As he got older, the daily struggles are aggression,...
  • heatherspradlintillm

Hit a wall

I am at a loss as to discipline for my son. He is defiant and his attitude is explosive. I know I react more to his outbursts than I respond to them. I am working on that. He is the oldest of three and he is not setting the best example for the younger ones and that adds more stress on mama. He seems to be more disrespectful to me over any other family members, which is causing discord between...
  • Hello and if your reading this thank you for taking the time to read it. I have a situation that I am unsure of how to handle it. It has to do with my 9 old ADHD son and my husband's family. My son gets in trouble all the time when we go to my husband's sisters. Her son tattles on my son over every little thing. And he talks his way out of getting into trouble even if he's to blame and mh son...
  • Hello, I have an 8 year old son that has ADHD and is obsessed with tv. He will wake up in the middle of the night to watch tv, get up extremely early to try to watch it before school, comes in the door from school and that's the first thing he wants to do but I make him do his homework first, so he does it as fast as possible and then wants to watch tv. On the weekend its all he wants to do, even...
  • We have taken on our 8 year old nephew, he is undiagnosed FAS and ADHD. We are doing all that we can for him, We have only had him for about a month now, and are seeing lots of changes. Some of the things he has been exposed to ( violent movies games extra) would be hard on a regular kid, let alone him. He had gone from having take out 4-5 times a weeks, to once in a month. We eat mostly organic,...
  • deleted_user

I snapped

Yesterday I came across a parent who gave my child a really hard time a couple of years ago, and I told my child to stay away from her. Of course, the parent heard this comment. She glared at me, as she knew I was referring to her. I feel justified, though, because A) this mom had told us she didn't want her child around her anymore and B) I need to remind my child on a regular basis to stay...
  • My 8 year old son has severe ADHD, he also has ODD(oppositional defiance disorder). He is constantly making messes. With everything and now his little sister is following in his footstep. Shes not near as bad about it as he is but it still needs to stop. I don't know what to do. He sneaks food to the living room and his room when we are sleeping and makes messes, he drags toys all over the house...