Parenting Teenagers (12-18) Support Group

This community is focused on the joys, challenges and concerns faced by parents of teenagers (12 to 18 year olds). The major areas of child development include: physical development, perception and sensory development, communication and language development, cognitive development, emotional development and social development.

1 Online
  • kallison11

Working son

My son is currently working and going to school. I had just found out that he is not doing his job up to his potential. I have not told him anything yet because I feel that it will make him want to quit. What can I do or say to help him become more motivted? I do not want to crush his ego.
  • Summermom

Responsibility

How does everyone get their teenager to take responsibility? I have trouble getting my daughter to remember to do her chores.
  • Summermom

Open Discussions

How do you get your teenager to talk to you?  My daughter likes to tell me very little about her life.
  • FrozenAngel17

I miss my son...

Hi there, I am a mother of a teenage son who I find disrespectful to me every time. I feel so alone though I have him in our house. He never had so much time for me and never really care about my feelings. I always find myself crying since he never listen to me when I speak. I always feel he  never want to care if I exist. Sometime I will burst out of anger, still he didn’t care. I really have...
  • Mommamagoo

Please help

My 15 yr old son received a punishment which he thinks is unfair. He now is intending to stay in his room anot not participate in life. Not sure what to do as I am a highly anxious parent, hate confrontations and he has taken off in the past. I'm at my wits end.
  • deleted_user

13 Year-Old Insubordinate Girl! HELP!!!

I need advice.... I have a 13 year old who has over the last few months gotten out of hand.. from losing her virginity to disrespectful actions toward her teachers and peers and well as the house(coming in when she please, screaming at younger siblings etc.) We did move from one state to another for many reason one being a disturbing phone call I received from her school right before the winter...
  • Summermom

Counseling?

My daughter is soon to be thirteen and likes to keep to herself and stay in her room.  Just about every night she comes to my room to tell me goodnight and that she loves me.  My husband thinks since she doesn't spend much time with us or her younger sister that she needs to talk to someone.  I think it is normal she keeps to herself.  Does she need counseling?
  • hopefulmama

Co Ed sleepovers?

Is this a new thing? My daughter,13,swears everyone does it.I am very uncomfortable with girls and guys sleeping in the same room,even if they are just friends.I believe it is a disaster waiting to happen.
  • megan.innes

My mom stole my money.

Hello, my name is Megan. I am 16 years old and have been working a part time job for the past year and a half. I have been working 20-30 hour weeks, all while maintaining a 90+ average in school. Essentially, I have saved over $12,000 for Univeristy. The past couple of days, my mom and I have been fighting. It started when she got home from her weekend with her boyfriend. Me and my sisters did...
  • Scc58

My Daughters Talk Bad About Me

I have a 23 year old and a 17 year old daughter. I had both of my girls before I was 22. I was a single mom for a long time and worked my butt off to provide for them. My girls often talk negatively about me behind my back and when we argue they tell me what the other sister said about me because they know it hurts my feelings. I feel so worthless. Like all of my efforts were never good enough. I...
  • Summermom

Daughter not wanting to spend time with family

My daughter is twelve almost thirteen and does not enjoy family time anymore.  How do parents spend time with their teenagers that the children enjoy?
  • casunshine0111

Teen Limits and Expectations

I am looking for some insight and opinions on what is appropriate for my teens.  I am a new step-mother (dated off and on for 7 years - married less than 6 mos.) and my husband and I don't see eye to eye at all with regards to limits and expectations.  We have a 13 y.o. girl, a 16 y.o. boy and a 17 y.o. girl.  I've already raised my 20 y.o. daughter and she's off to school.  So 2 girls for...
  • jojored

Just found out about pot and vaping...

Hi, not sure this is the best group, so please point me elsewhere if that's the case.  My son will be 17 this month and his dad and I are going through a long divorce, 11 months and still counting.  We're living in the same house, and there are tensions.  I try to keep my distance from stbx to keep the peace, for my son's sake.  Our oldest is off at college and comes home occassionally.  I...
  • MomofLorna2017

Troubled daughter...online lesbian relationship

Hi...I desperately need some help delaing with my 14 year old daughter and this new world I have discovered she's been living in for months...my sweet kind fun high -achieving girl..with the straight As...suddenly started doing poorly in her first year of high school..and became mean and withdrawn..moodier than normal..always on her phone or computer. She doesn;t have many friends so I...
  • keary367

Advice for troubled teen daughter

my 16 year old has been running away and now has been gone for 4 days. I have reported her as a a run away, she has also been truent from school. When I do get her back how do I keep her from leaving again. I'm not even sure where to start on helping her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated keary