Depression Supporters Support Group

This community is dedicated to spouses, children, relatives, co-workers and others who are actively supporting someone suffering from depression or other serious mental illness. Depression can bring about intense sadness, melancholia or despair that has advanced to the point of being disruptive, which can have a grave impact on the ability of others trying to help.

0 Online
0 Online
  • Lyss8771

New member looking for help

Hello. I joined today as part of working on my marriage. Im 26, have been married almost 5 years and together almost 9, no kids. My husband battles with depression and anxiety. And I am battling on how to help, I feel completely lost. I have troubles communicating and holding conversation, especially when anger comes into play and I build up my walls. I'm caught in his depression, and now we've...
  • saraw

What is the right thing to do?

My husband of 16 years has been depressed for most of our marraige. He finally started getting help 9 months ago bc I found out he was chatting (text and video) with 2 women online. He was a different person with them, dominating and very sexual. He is never like that with me (yes I am jealous). When I first found out he swore he would never do it again and sought help. We have had our ups and...
  • Serendipity

Social media

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed their loved one (my husband has major depression and anxiety) turning to social media sites or messaging to try and escape their depression?
  • Worried_Hubby

The ugliness of depression

My wife was diagnosed with depression a few years ago but didn't take it seriously. Syptoms lessened and gradually I got my wife back. Then, out of the blue, she relapsed which ended us in couples therapy. She was supportive through it and I thought we had made progress. We now have a baby girl together and purchased a house. She might be having a case of delayed post-partum mixed with her...
  • I've been married for 22 years to a man who has struggled with depression on and off all throughout his life. For the most part, through the years the depression has been sporadic and manageable, despite 2 suicidal episodes over 19 years ago. The last 7 years of marriage has been hell with this depressed man. I do realize that he has a mental illness that greatly effects the way he treats me. ...
  • skfights

Truth

I've been reading a lot of posts and responses today, relating to the posts and gaining hope from the responses. This is such a great support and I'm glad I found it after a while of being lost and searching for comfort. Tonight, as my husband is in his depressed slumber (and has been sleeping pretty much since I got home from work 3 hours ago), and after reading here, I feel the need to post...
  • saritasiren

Annoyed

I hate that I'm annoyed by this seemingly selfish disease. I know logically depression is something that cannot be helped. My spouse is depressed and I can't help. He can't "snap out of it." He didn't ask for it.... But I'm so tired of revolving my every single day around his moods. I seriously am screaming inside, and I'm so in need of someone to ask ME how my day is. That's all.
  • Freeze

Unsure and Confused

Hello Everyone I have been dating a woman for 8 months who was diagnosed with severe depression 5 years before we met. 1 month into our relationship she was on some very heavy medication that made her groggy and out of it a lot. A couple months ago she told me during a sexual conversation we were having that before I came into her life she sent messages to a guy about sex and was very graphic in...
  • comay

Lost

Hi. I've been with J for 14 yrs. His depression isn't new but I think I just thought my own personal outlook on life would be maybe not unaffected but at least unharmed. Lately, it's been hard for me to look past the condition to see the man I loved. I hate him so much sometimes. I have to be strong at all times. I want to lean on him for support too. I'm actually jealous that he gets to have...
  • MrsDragon

Im new & have a question!

Hello, my name is Bonnie. Ive will have been married to my husband for 2 years in December and we have been together for 7 years, friends for over 20 years! he is my best friend and the love of my life...and he has always had problems with depression, this last year has been the worst because he lost his job and hes been feeling worthless, and when his depression comes on it brings out alot...
  • Rachel240

Did I say the wrong thing?

My husband has been dealing with depression and bipolar for years and the past month or so has been really tough for him. He had basically a breakdown on Saturday and decided to spend some time away on his own - he told me he wanted to avoid his 'triggers' - I didn't love the idea but he insisted. We have only texted a few times since Saturday and he has initiated each text conversation. I got...
  • signseeker

Feeling Helpless

Brand new to this site. I was looking for some help and support and ran across it. My husband and I have been together 18 years and married for a little over 16 years. I didn't find out about my husband's depression until we had been married a few years. We both had previous marriages and met through our young sons. He was passionate and attentive in the beginning of our marriage - almost...
  • lori

How to help the caregiver

Hi Everyone, i am at my wits end and am ready to walk away from my spouse of 13 years. He is a wonderful man but his depression has intensified throughout the years and now he is at the point where he will make it to work but is not able to participate in any aspect of our lives unless i become angry that he isn't pulling his weight. We don't converse, we are not having sex any more and are...
  • Jluxon

When medication doesn't work

Hi everyone. So here is my question. What happens when you have a spouse who takes medication, sees a counselor and psychiatrist and is still depressed? My husband and I have been married almost 4 years. I knew he struggled with depression when we were just friends. All the articles and books I've read talk about the need for the spouse to get help. They make it seems like as soon as they get...
  • cyclingdad

Running out of energy

My wife became depressed 14 years ago, she has undergone all kinds of therapy, on a litany of drugs and several rounds of ECT, with another soon to start. I have hung in there for all these years, but I don't see an end in site, She has let herself go and really does not show that much concern for me, she does muster some for our children which is huge. I see so many comments here about dealing...