Depression Supporters Support Group

This community is dedicated to spouses, children, relatives, co-workers and others who are actively supporting someone suffering from depression or other serious mental illness. Depression can bring about intense sadness, melancholia or despair that has advanced to the point of being disruptive, which can have a grave impact on the ability of others trying to help.

1 Online
  • Cheri1409

Partner Depression

Helloi am living with someone who has recently opened up about their depression and I am starting to struggle with her bad days and what I can and can't say and do, I feel like she has bad days and worse days but never a good day at the momentive tried getting her out and about to keep her active and preoccupied but she never wants to or puts up a massive fight so the activity ends up being a...
  • cjeanne

Depressed Husband

I am new to this group. I have been married 35 years to a wonderful man. I 2009 he was diagnosed with kidney cancer. It was a rough go. Since then he has been severely depressed. He is drinking heavily and extremely negative. I have started therapy since he will not go. He continually says he wants to die and is verbally abusive. Nothing is good enough. We are very blessed, but he only sees the...
  • ASN

Advice/Suggestions

My husband has struggled with mild depression throughout our marriage(9years), but we've mangaged it without outside help. However, prior to our marriage he had been diaganosed and was on meds for a while. Right now he's is at the worse I've ever seen him, things that have helped in the past are no longer helping. I've been trying to convince him to see a counselor but he keeps telling me it's...
  • will_full

Do members meet online at regular times?

I don't know how this place works. Looks like everyone tells their stories but conversations all one-way. Glad to share the details of my story, but would prefer to do so in a chat or in a group setting of some sort.The basics: married 16yrs to a great woman who suffers from depression / PTSD stemming from rape when she was a girl. Her memory of rape was suppressed and stayed in her subconscious...
  • Mcb84

Depressed husband, I feel like I´m crumbling

This is soooo hard!!!! My husband has been struggling with depression for almost two years now. It has had its ups and downs. Currently he is out of a job, we have two toddlers so I work two jobs and freelance to earn what I can. We have financial support from family, but I feel like that´s where it stops. None of his relatives seem to really understand how serious this is. I have read the...
  • Fighting4myfamily

New to this.

I have battled with depression most of my adult life and have been so very grateful to my husband for being there to help me through my hard times. Today, however I find myself in the role of supporter. Over the past week my husband was not sleeping he drives for a living so no sleep is not an option. He just said that he was stressed so I didn't push until he said to me that he was thinking of...
  • EmilyRoseMari46

Lost

Ive cut myself before. I'm in a deep spot right now where I'm thinking bad thoughts. I won't say what I'm thinking on doing. I'm going through the most darkness part of my life right now and I want to give up. 
  • shmd

At wits end

I feel so trapped and helpless. It took me years to finally get my husband to see a therapist. He has been clearly depressed. He finally has been seeing someone for two years now. We have moved to a new country and he continued to see this theparist via skype. She thinks he needs to go on medication. He is hesitant and I get it. It is not place to judge of he needs medication or not. I know that...
  • ZaBWookie

Any advice on how to help my male friend with PND?

Hello there. A friend of mine had his first child about 2 months ago and he's really struggling to adapt and has openly admitted that he's severely depressed and is struggling to connect with him.  A friend of mine had his first child about 2 months ago and he's really struggling to adapt and has openly admitted that he's severely depressed and is struggling to connect with him.  I don't have...
  • Leopard

Husband in Dark Night of the Soul?

My husband and I have been struggling for the past year. We've been married for 4 years. We've travelled a lot, understand each other and had a lot of fun together. He's been smoking and using weed most of this time - but telling me he wanted to quit from the beginning. Since last year, his drug use and smoking has become more prevalent. His work has become more stressful during this...
  • jeanned.arc

Sleeping a ton

Does anyone else have kids and a depressed spouse who sleeps a lot? I am having such a hard time dealing with how much my husband is sleeping lately. I want nothing more than to empathize and understand. Anyone here with similar experiences?
  • LALALady

Not Sure How to Handle Unfinished Projects

Hi There! My husband suffers from Bi-Polar II.. which basically means he's depressed a lot of the time. He has an amazing and resilient personality and has worked really hard on himself and inside the relationship to learn how to deal with the emotions, etc. What I'm struggling with now is that I realize that during his times of feeling good we start these MAJOR projects, ie.. house renovation,...
  • unconditionallove3

Depression

I'm so struggling with my boyfriends depression.  I don't know when I'm pushing or not caring enough.  He has completely shut down. I need suggestions?
  • ckt

Feeling heartbroken

I am new to this group, but I need someone to talk to that understands what I am going through.  I have been with my boyfriend for 4.5 years. He told me upfront he was raised in a highly abusive home with family that was not biologically his. Due to this fact, he became a troubled kid that had many run ins with the law as a child and into adulthood. He told me he had also struggled with...
  • whatthehill

Losing my Best Friend to Depression

My husband and I have been together for 7 years and it has genuinely been the best years of my life. We have been insanely happy and have lived our life as best friends and teammates who travel the world and take on everything as it comes. Were that couple that everyone wants to be and we both have acknowledged how lucky we are.He is an artist and in the past year ended up taking on a secondary...