Children Of Divorced Parents Support Group

This community is for the children of divorce, both for adult children who have lived through a divorce as well as parents concerned about the effects of divorce on their children. Share your story and get advice in this support group, where there are others going through similar challenges.

0 Online
  • trueblue

What do teenagers think of parents divorcing?

I have a question for those of you who are teenagers, or were teenagers:  How did you feel about your parents splitting up?  How could your parents have made things easier for you when they divorced?  I've been married to my husband for 20 years and I have stayed with him because we have two sons, ages 13 and 18.  My husband loves me, but because he also happens to be very negative and...
  • Schamb01

Questions for those with divorced parents?

Hello, I am a year 12 student doing a research project for one of my classes and my topic is The impact of sole parent relationships on teenagers, I was wondering if anyone would mine helping me out it would be totally anonymous of course.Questions such as:1. What have been some negative affects/complications?2. Do you still keeps incontact with both parents, has your relationship with...
  • RaceRedFox

New Family

I am almost 25 and my dad has been gone now for 5 years. I guess its only natural for my mom to find someone else. However, she never told me she met anyone until she announced one day that she is getting remarried. Considering I never knew about him until that moment, it was mindblown. It didn't help that after she announces that he jumps right in and says he loves me and cares about me and will...
  • jojosam

New member for a couple of reasons...

I have just discovered these support groups, as I am a divorced mother of 2 who has gone back to grad school to become a school counselor. A recent assignment has us joining an online support group to understand what these groups are like, but once I started digging deeper into dailystrength, I realized that it isn't a bad idea to share my frustrations and successes with others in a similar place...
  • Rach9703

Struggling

hey I'm a 19 year old female and my parents who have been married 26 years are getting divorced. It has been a bit of a long time coming but never thought it would actually have happened my dad is depressed and an alcoholic and I get that must be hard to live with but he's ill me and my sister both moved out a year ago my dad is heartbroken as he never expect it they haven't slept in the same bed...
  • 19ivejul

So Many Emotions

I am a fifteen year old and I'm struggling a little bit. Very recently I found out that my parents were getting a divorce. I never saw it coming but then it got much worse when I found out that my parents were getting a divorce because my dad had been having an affair with a woman who he worked with. I don't blame my mom in any way as she tried to hold the marriage together for four years for...
  • fridanyc

How can I help my son understand?

My child's father and I were never married. We separated over 2 years ago but he moved out of the home almost a year and a half ago. Although communication with him is very difficult I have always gone above and beyond sacrificing my time to make sure he spends time with our son. He currently takes our son out to dinner once or twice a week, my son also sleeps over his father's house on...
  • kbens913

Childhood Divorce and Your Relationships

So my parents divorced when I was 10 years old. I am now 25 and have adjusted to this new life of seeing my parents seperately and what not. But I am currently in graduate school for clinical psychology and seem to be learning quite a bit about myself and I feel like I am really affeted by my parents divorce in terms of my own romantic relationships. I have been in relationships here and there...
  • ceddyced24

I didn't know what to do

When I was a senior in high school, my parents went through a major break up.  I came home during class time to find my father and my older brother throwing my mothers things out of the house and into the street.  My father told me that if I did not help then he would throw my things out of the house also.  During this time my mother and I were not as close at all, I was more closer to my...
  • Lostandlonely

Recent Divorce

My happily ( or so I thought ) married parents of 15 years recently decided it was time for a divorce. Months before it would be late at night and you could hear the arguing coming from downstairs, I was quite interested at the time and I have to know what it going on so I listened and it sounded as if my mother wanted it all. Of course, if they aren't happy then I'm not but my dad never wanted...
  • writerfighter1441

Afraid of Being a Statistic

Hello everyone! I figured I'd join this group because I really want some advice from others who understand my situation, and I really don't know who else to talk to besides complete strangers so here goes. I am a sixteen year old girl, and I have never been in a relationship. I haven't even held hands with a guy, much less ever gone out on a real date. And I know that that isn't a bad thing and...
  • CopingSlowly

I don't know what to do.

My mom and my step-dad have been together for 10 years, and are now splitting up. I had to move away from my step-dad, as well as my home town, all of my friends, and my pets, and i was forced to make this decision, where this was my only option, in a few days, not even a week and a half. Now being where I am, living with reletives and my mother across the country from my home,  living off of...
  • jane45610

Is it better to divorce while children are young?

I have been married for 13 years and honestly don't want to be married to my husband anymore. The truth is the only thing that has prevented me from divorcing him already is the financial aspect and the fact we have a 19mo old daughter. He is a great father and has been a great provider but I am completely miserable in our marriage. We are basically roommates who share parental responsibilities....
  • deathinprogress

Life

For as long as I can remember, my parents have never loved each other. We were fine though, and my family managed to get by from year to year. Until the summer before 8th grade, when my grandpa had a stroke, and my great aunt who was living with him came to live with us. My dad insisted that she live with us, despite having several mental disorders including demensia and schizophrenia, and being...
  • pete2016

custody/ access

i have a13 yr old daughter who is not wanting to come and stay with me.. i live with my new wife and her children. We are a blended family. Should I let her stay with her mothrer and only see her every other weekend? I have 50/50 custody/access right now. I want her to be here with us however if she is unhappy and miserable I dont want her to be here. Her upsets disrupts everyone. Not sure what...