Autism / Autism Spectrum Support Group

Autism is classified as a neurodevelopmental disorder which manifests itself in markedly abnormal social interaction, communication ability, patterns of interests, and patterns of behavior. Although the specific etiology of autism is unknown, many researchers suspect that autism results from genetically mediated vulnerabilities to environmental triggers.

1 Online
1 Online
  • Hi - I am married to a newly diagnosed Asperger's spouse, including 3 young newly diagnosed aspie children. My Aspie husband has 99th percentile aggression and adjustment disorders according to his psych eval.He also has disorganized thinking that is typical in schizophrenia and a low IQ with memory, cognitive and attention deficits.I have struggled to deal with his difficulties for the past 5...
  • I ran across an interesting (parent opinion) article about autism on the internet. It talks about how autism may look when it is severe and is accompanied by severe behavior difficulties. It also yalks about neighborhood inclusion. I thought it was interesting.Autism is ofcourse a spectrum and (all) individuals have good and bad days and moments.Here's the link in case anyone else is interested:...
  • Community Leadersambod

test

test
  • so we are going on a trip to the Grand Canyon. it's a very long car ride. Years ago, we would hook up a dvd player to a small tv for the car ride for my son to be entertained..... I didn't think I would have to think of this again twelve years later but they do make relatively inexpensive portable dvd players with headphones which we now have.... what other things do you use for long trips?
  • Panicker

Amy Yasko program

Does anyone have an opinion on the genetic/nutrition program that researcher Amy Yasko offers? I know she speaks at a lot of autism conferences and thought someone here might offer an opinion whether good or bad.
  • Hi, I'm looking for other individuals with autism. I have a hard time finding people with it who I might be able to relate with and would love to connect with others who have it. Please let me know!
  • Community Leadersambod

DS

DS has created a beta test site for members to get a new look. many of u have gotten an email with a link. be mindful that this is only a test site . You will have to create a new account to preview, here is the link https://beta.dailystrength.org/user . take a look and give feedback herehttps://beta.dailystrength.org/userplease remember this is only a test site and your feedback is...
  • Community Leadersambod

another diagnosis?

Anyone else have a child who has been diagnosed with another problem in addition to the autism. My son is 17 now.... and has been recently diagnosed with a panic disorder. This was, in part, due to a bullying incident. it's really frustrating cause he was doing very well in school; completely off meds for over three years and now we are back on them again.
  • Desigol1979

Feeling akward

Whenever I'm in public, I feel awkward. My dress code is questionable because when I wear a shirt, I look like a Drunk Father at a Wedding Reception. Also, when I hear my voice being played online I cringe.Anyone else feel awkward in public?
  • Community Leadersambod

the movie Vaxed

This is a film that Robert Dinero has recently promoted but for some reason or another... he's kinda backed off of it now. the film from what I understand is about the harm of vaccination .I have been on the autism journey for some time. My son was diagnosed at age 5 and is now 18. He started showing signs at 2 1/2 but back then, autism was not as prevalent as it is now. I originally...
  • It started off when My son was around 3 years old. I noticed he wasn't talking as good as the other kids in his play school. I feel like it was somehow my fault, as I lived with my parents, in poverty in a old famine home. We didn't even have a kitchen or a toilet. My parents were alcoholics and every time I try and talk normal to my child, my parents would come in and talk babble to him. This...
  • GillC

supporting friend

Hello - hope you don't mind me posting here but am after some advice. At my daughter's school, six years ago, I became friends with three other women and our children are the same ages. A couple of years ago, the son of one of the mums (friend A) was diagnosed as having autism. It's been a really tough time for all of them in the family as they've tried to put support for him in place and find a...
  • Community Leadersambod

world autism day

Today is world autism awareness day. Surprisingly, I saw a stat last night that the rate of autism has not changed from last year. it is still 1 in 68. How do u bring awareness to your area or to family and friends?
  • Community Leadersambod

vocational rehab

has anyone had any experience with vocational rehab for their child once they turn 18?
  • merrisong

Finding Out

How do you find out if your autistic?