Autism / Autism Spectrum Support Group

Autism is classified as a neurodevelopmental disorder which manifests itself in markedly abnormal social interaction, communication ability, patterns of interests, and patterns of behavior. Although the specific etiology of autism is unknown, many researchers suspect that autism results from genetically mediated vulnerabilities to environmental triggers.

1 Online
  • Zahara

Depression or sensory overload

I was told most of my life that I had boarderline personality disorder, with anxiety, depression and PTSD. We came to discover from a recent mental health counselor that all of my symptons came down to being on the autism spectrum. My whole life I knew something was different about me but no one was able to figure it out. Now that I have a answer to some of how my brain processes information, it...
  • Mangod90

I have trouble accomplishing anything

I am a 27 year old with high functioning aspergers and I can't seem to be able to accomplish anything. I haven't been able to graduate from college, I can barley keep a job, and I can't even finish writing some fanfiction, can someone offer help to someone who can never seem to finish anything?
  • Community Leadersambod

suggestion for after high school

My son is graduating this year.  after years of dealing with the schools and IEP's, we find ourselves thinking what is next?  My son is 19, high functioning.  He is currently doing a job internship in the afternoons and has done so all this school year, working a couple of hours at various locations and back grounds to see what would be a good fit. For those of you in the states, I would...
  • Jersey_of_Oz

Why are services so frustrating?

So I have been trying to get my son a BSC since January, and due to a high turn over rate and an understaffed area, we have yet to have anyone come to the house to help, and today we had our 2nd ISPT for the same services. Why can't it just be simpliler?:) Susie
  • stephanie40

hello everyone i'm new here.my granddaughter gets tested this month for autism by a specilist.
  • Community Leadersambod

test

test
  • Georgesmom

Schools?

I currrently live in a small town in Mississippi.  The school system here has all of the children with disabilities ages K5-6th grade in one classroom and receiving no individualized assistance.  I want to move out of Mississippi with my 3yr old nonverbal son by the time he gets to K5.  I am having a very difficult time figuring out where we should go.  Does anyone have any suggestions...
  • Jersey_of_Oz

I am going to kick the bus driver.

So the last day of school was this week. When the kids got off the bus, I said to the bus driver, hopefully next year will be better. Her reply. It better be better. me - well, we'll have time to work on it then. her - Ha, get better. Meanwhile she is looking at me with this death look staring me down with a straight face. Me - Well, have a good summer.  Her - I will now - and she closes the...
  • ArticulateZest

Feeling alone

I'm a 44 year old female with autism.  I have a lot of the 'classic traits' like stimming (both physical and vocal), meltdowns (usually crying), not understanding other people and the world around me, sensativity to sensations (sound, touch, smells, bright lights).  Today my boyfriend told me he thinks he wants to break up with me.  Part of the reason is because of my autism, specifically my...
  • Newby2MCTD

College Bound worried about testing

Hi. I'm new to this site. My 18 yr old son graduates from high school next week and will be attending college in the fall. When he was very young he had speech delays, gross and fine motor delays and sensory/anxiety issues. He was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Delays - Not Otherwise Specified  (PDD-NOS) when he was 6yrs old. Once he got speech therapy and was able to start talking it...
  • Jersey_of_Oz

with 12 days left.... seriously?!?

There are 12 days left of school, and counting....As I have said before, I have struggled with schools with my son from the beginning because of his diagnosis and related behaviors; And, as I have said before, we moved into this school district over Christmas break, so he transition ahs not be the most smooth. He has trouble generalizing skills, so it is like starting from the beginning every...
  • Looking4friends

Looking for a friend

Is there anyone here in the Central Valley(California) looking for friendship? I have a friend name Matt with Aspergers (32 yrs). He is looking for friends here. He enjoys fishing, target shooting, gaming, his dog, movies... just hanging out and visiting. He is somewhat independent but shy. If you or if you know of somone who might be interested in making a new friend, please reply :)
  • our2daybaby

New to the group

my name is Josie our Daniel is 13 and has autism , and is very high risk ,he is beginning to go thru puberty any advice or experience to share.
  • Jersey_of_Oz

A failing system

I have been working forever with schools to try to get my son with ASD what he needs... but the system keeps failing him. He has a rewards system - finally - but the sytem is still failing him. HE came home yesterday with a note from his teacher that I just want to scream about because I am sick of things like this happening. Here is the long and short of it.Short is he was stanging in line...
  • Lyla159

Advice?

I was diagnosed at age 4 and have always been able to manage myself well but lately I feel like ive regressed and no one around me understands why im suddenly "Worse" than I used to be and why i cant just go back to how I was and honestly I don't know why Ive regressed but would love to talk to someone about it.