Widows & Widowers Support Group

This community is dedicated to those who have lost a husband, wife, or partner. Anything is open for discussion here, with the hope that we can focus on grief, bereavement, life after loss, and continuing on after a great loss.

3 Online
  • luckydaughter

A Ride On The Roller Coaster

Today has just been a ride on the emotional roller coaster.  I woke up feeling pretty good.  I have been widowed for 7 months but my husband was diagnosed as terminal 23 months ago.  This morning, I felt like "Well, now it's been almost two years, really, that I've been in pain.  Surely the heart can't hold that much pain forever, can it?  Isn't it time to be happy?"Is it?  Do I even know...
  • LostWithoutCarol

How I will honor her memory

I have thought of something to do to honor my late wifes memory. She loved the Clemson Tigers and i just happen to see a really nice hat that had their logo on it. So to honor her memory from now on I will only wear Clemson Tiger hats. I think this small gesture will help me to get by, as i look at it in my car on her seat and wear it for her. 
  • addison

Difficult time

It has been almost 11 months since I lost my soulmate. We were married 54 year we did everything together. I was married at a youg age and we made it through some ever tough times. We lost a teenage daughter to a drunk driver. We started a business togetherand we did well in the business. I am so lost I don't know what to do. I have been to counceling. I have been to grief share and...
  • luckydaughter

Update: I dodged a bullet

Hi everyone.  Two weeks ago I posted an entry entitled "I need to be very careful".  I was explaining how I walk a path every day for exercise and along the way, I have met a man who I felt attracted to and it is obvious that he is attracted to me as well.I was beyond surprised..............stunned, really.  I have only been widowed for 7 months and there is absolutely no way I am ready for...
  • Kimberlina

Never needed directions before...

Today I woke up to what I felt like was going to be an OK day.  Got to work and decided to print the directions on how to get to my daughter's house,  just in case google did not work on my phone.  I could not get it to give me the directions the way  my husband used to get us there.  I had a mental little break down :(  After a good cry I regained my strength thru prayer. I think I am...
  • Blondie21

Confused

My husband and I were madly and deeply in love for 7 years and married for almost 5. We were soulmates and I knew I would be with him until we die of old age. I'm 28 and he was 40. I didn't think I'd lose him at such a young age. After getting the death certificate and finding out the cause of death, I was completely devastated all over again.I never thought I'd like or love anyone ever again....
  • avmom

My new life

Today is one of the first days I am completely along since my husband passed away 16 days ago. I keep hearing noises upstairs but I know I am alone. I am sitting thinking about all the things I should be doing like, going through his closet or even just picking up the mess in the house but I can't seem to get motivated. I have an appointment with the lawyer today to try to keep the house from...
  • waybackjack

Anyone Else Dreading Spring?

Specifically, the mowing aspect of it.My damn knees went out this past winter. Yes, the lion's share of the work can be done by tractor but it's still necessary to hit the edges and trim with a walk-behind mower, to the tune of 30 minutes per mowing session. Walking downhill is especially difficult.I mean, why all that painful work when my wife's no longer here to enjoy the place?You know,...
  • Kimberlina

Pennies from heaven not always pennies....

Driving the 3 1/2 hour trip to my daughters was a little nerve racking.  Bay area traffic is not my favorite even when my husband used to drive us.  The visit was a nice change of being home alone in an emty house thinking or just watching TV to escape reality. Driving home was still intense and I can feel the muscles in my back are a little sore from holding on to the steering wheel...
  • luckydaughter

"You Can Do It, Baby Girl"

Like many, if not most, widows and widowers, I find myself having to learn how to do new things...............fixing the low water pressure in the kitchen, checking the oil in the car, driving distances that are out of my comfort zone.  Lately, I find that when I do these things, I catch myself telling myself "You can do it, Baby Girl."That is, of course, something that Steve would have said to...
  • avmom

Where do i begin

Today is 13 days since I lost my husband of 20 years. He spent 13 days in the hospital and 12 days at hospice at home with me taking care of him. He was too young to die. He died of liver failure. He had cirrhosis of the liver but it was a fall that pushed him over the edge. He waited 4 days to go to the hospital, he didn't know he had internal bleeding. This put too much strain on his already...
  • scottito

Been Through It

It's coming up 2 years since my Juanita died on May 8, 2015. Four days after that, I made our presentation to take on another 17 food banks, for a total of 33 food banks in 5 counties that we provide food for. All told, we distribute about 2.3 million pounds of food each year, plus another 750K of federal commodities. Four days after losing my wife my workload doubled, and then the preparation of...
  • AfterMom

Waking up from dreams that he is still alive...???

FYI, I am hitting my 2 year mark of my husbands death after 41 yrs married.It is very hard for me to handle my night dreams, because he is always still normally alive in them. I am interacting with him, either by touch or verbally or both, then I wake up to the horrible reality that he is gone. My subconscious is completely unaware.It literally is so shocking, and waking up spirals me into...
  • porkchopcash

Stuck

I am trying to be good.  But I hate this! We go through all the daily routines.  I keep myself very busy.  I've gone through every day on auto pilot since he left me September 1st.  I am emotionally drained and so now I'm just stuck in a emotionless rut. Well, emotionless except anger.  I seem to loose my temper all the time now and over everything.  I don't know how to make this "new life"...
  • nana012

I have cancer

I had to have a lung biopsy, and I have cancer. A very rare form that doesn't have any standard treatment. There just isn't a lot of case history for this. It is epithelioid hemangio endothelioma. The cancer support group doesn't talk every day. I can understand why. I'm waiting for the oncologist to call back for an appointment, and will hear in the next few days. Who knew. Ha!