Gastric Bypass Surgery Support Group

Gastric bypass (GBP) is any of a group of similar operative procedures used to treat morbid obesity, a condition which arises from severe accumulation of excess weight in the form of fatty tissue, and the health problems ("co-morbidities") which result. If you are considering gastric bypass or have had it, join the community where we share our experiences and find support.

0 Online
  • lucy0100

barretts esophagus

I had the lap band in 2006.  I had gerd before surgery.  Now I found out I have baretts.  My surgeon said my lap band is contributing to it.  He's suggesting taking out the band and doing RNY surgery.  I have not been successful with the band.  Anyone else have gerd problem with band?
  • cockatiel22

Liquid Diet Question

So I'm having my sleeve surgery on April 14th!! I am scared to death. I am a high risk patient so I'm scared of infection and blood clots l, both of which I'm prone too. Anyways, what do you all recommend for the liquid diet for the 2 weeks prior to the surgery?
  • Good morning!5 months post-op and doing well.  Down about 80+ lbs, clothes that have been in the closet for awhile actually fit (Yay!), energy is good...life is blessing I am embrassing every day!No regrets with my decision for the surgery (RY) even with the major hair thinning.  This too shall pass.  However, I am finding it more challenging to eat pretty much anything these days.  Yogurt...
  • Lcat4

What newbies need to know

What newbies need to know before/after surgery1. Do your own research! You are responsible for your own health! Ask questions and do lots of research!2. Be clear about why you want this surgery. If you are having the surgery to weigh a certain number on the scale, wear a certain pant size, to make your spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend happy, or to fit in or to stand out, then realize now that none...
  • jalysiasmommy

Post op question

hey guys so I am 3 weeks post op and I am following everything from the dietitian but I have not lost any weight in over 10 days. Is this normal? I would think since my calorie intake is so low I would be dropping weight like crazy but nothing. Any suggestions
  • Ser3nity

Wondering if I chose the right surgery

After two consultations, and three years worth of research, I finally settled on getting the RNY gastric bypass surgery. I decided this because of my relationship with food and how hard I've struggled over the years with excercise and diet. In the past 10 years I've gone from 150 to 293 at 5'2". I have hypothyroidism, PCOS, endomitriosis, and sleep apnea. I have back and knee pain constantly and...
  • Memere-2-4

Since Aug 16th....... 98 lbs down.....

walk ...sip... munch to mush....no problems...no pain.... life if grand.....
  • EmilyNichole3

Bypass

Hi, I'm getting the bypass within the month. I am 20 years old, 350 pounds, 5'8", very addicted to food, major back problems with two herniated discs and nerve pain that I take pain meds for.I just want to know your experience if you want to share :)
  • Aunttree14

Working on revision from gastric sleeve to bypass

Hello, I'm new to the group. I'm in the process getting a revision from sleeve to bypass. I was sleeve in 2011. It save my life I went from 306lbs to 150lbs in my first year. Now I'm having issue with a lot weight gain and acid reflux real bad. Couple other issue. Blood work done, EDG test is on 3/21.  Has anyone had a revision? I paid for my sleeve out my pocket. Hoping my insurance will pay...
  • sofiesbluedream

Alcohol issues

Has anyone out there struggled with alcohol use after gastric bypass?
  • Frenchyxoxo

8 weeks post op and it hurts to eat

I'm 8 weeks post RNY and it hurts to eat almost anything. I get the feeling of hunger, I try to eat but it's uncomfortable. Can I eat salad? I'm scared to try anything. Some days it's not too bad and I can get a little down and keep it in but other days like today I just can't eat anything. I can't drink a lot either.
  • nieka

Excited and waiting for my surgery

Hi I'm new to the group and have been referred for gastric bypass. I'm waiting for my first visit, as most of you know there is a waiting list.  I'm excited as I have struggled with my weight all my life I'm so tired of continually trying and not being able to loose or keep it off if I do. I just want to be able to loose weight and keep it off. Any Thoughts, advice or suggestions?
  • ValBrown

Many years post op

I had gastric bypass surgery way back in 2001 not for weight loss but because my stomach had paralysed and all medical treatments to help the situation had failed. I had a very forward looking surgeon who explained that if he removed my stomach and then created a small pouch out of my small intestine, I should eventually be able to eat enough to maintain my weight and have a better quality of...
  • Lcat4

Blood tests and nutritional deficiencies

I got my regular every 6 months Bariatric blood tests back and found that I am low in iron saturation and MCHC which tests for anemia. I have not tested low before. After doing my research, I found out that I need vitamin C combined with iron. This explains why I have been feeling a bit low energy. I will also be adding more vitamin D from 5000-10,000. It is not below low, but it is down from...
  • jacksonl200

Wonderful!!!!

Its been since 11/28/16 since my gastric sleeve surgery. I weighed in at 230lbs & today I weigh 180lbs. I feel absolutely wonderful.  Once cleared with my doctor I joined the gym. I go after work at least 3-4 a week. I still take my vitamins. I try to stick to a rountine of 1 protein shake for breakfast, lunch & dinner 4-4 1/2 oz. of healthy foods, protein most important. Meaning if I have 4oz...