Amputees Support Group

Amputation is the removal of a body extremity by trauma or surgery. Many have undergone amputation or have been living with a missing limb since birth. In either case, life as an amputee can be challenging. This is the place to find others going through the same experiences as an amputee. Share your thoughts, troubles, and solutions with the community.

0 Online
  • minstan

Trying to understand what my Dad is going through

I saw the group online and so I decided to join to try to get some answers about what my dad is going through. He just had a full leg amputation. First our relationship is estranged for we have not spoken in about 4 years but he keeps incontact with his siblings that I am close to. I just came back from a business trip only to find out that he had the surgery but didn't let anyone know until...
  • Shellberdoo

BK amputee - losing suction

I have been an amputee for 9 years - hard to believe!  I am a BK amputee and feel like I'm almost always struggling with the loss of suction.  Most recently, right after seeing my prostethist everything felt great for about a month and then I lost suction.  I thought my sleeve might have tiny holes that I couldn't see so ordered a new sleeve.  To my disappointment,  I am having the same...
  • BudgieUK

Odaban Anti-perspirant

I am a below knee Amputee. I started using this Odaban Anti-perspirant last week. As I have a problem of excessive sweating inside of my prosthetic liner.Problem now??? Since I started using this spray which you  only use once a week! My leg has swolen up so much that I cannot get my prosthetic leg on even without any woollen socks!!!My Question is Does anyone know if Odaban Causes limbs...
  • ohaque

Mobility Technology

Hi all, this is a slightly different post to the usual, but I'm hoping I can get some help on this. I'm a research coordinator at the Nesta Challenge Prize Centre, we develop and run competitions that aim to focus technological innovation on particular socially-beneficial goals. We're currently working with a multinational charity to develop a US$3-4 million prize to encourage and reward...
  • macawma

Frustration

hello. I had a bka in September after a antibiotic-resistant infection in a post surgical sight got out of hand. Before this, I was in a wheel chair for about a year trying to heal. I have always been very active in my life and it came as quite a surprise that I wasn't able to get up out of my chair for about 6 weeks following the amputation. I had my first experience with the pin-lock system...
  • mhussey

Only a month...

Hello Everyone! I had my big toe amputated a month ago. I have really tried to stay positive during this ordeal. I have my moments especially when I have to look at it. It was a doctors error. I'm still kind of upset about the ordeal that led to the amputation. I'm really trying to let it go. Does anyone have any positive ways to get through this???
  • Hi All, I am reaching out in regard to a show I am casting that I am hoping some of you might want to be a part of. This is a new documentary style series that will follow a group of women as they hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Inspired by the book/movie "Wild" we are looking for women who need to step out of their day-to-day lives to gain clarity or heal. We hope to follow as this group...
  • azul

What just happened?

Hi,   So... Back in March of 2016 I had a craptaculer accident where a man hit me on the interstate causing my vehicule to rollover 4 times. I remember the entire thing up until the hospital emergency room.  My heart stopped 4 times, 7 broken ribs, punctured lung, broken big toe lol, my left arm was originally degloved and shattered. An infection required the amputation.I awake a month later...
  • Muzzi.L

To amputate or not to amputate?

8 years ago I was involved in an MBA that left me with 3cm shortening on my left tibia as a result of osteomyelitis. Infact my right fibula was grafted, replacing the left tibia. The shortening has caused many other problems, over extension of the left knee, strain and pain on right hip, lower back, altered gait etc. I already have nerve damage on the left leg (the shorter one) compromised...
  • paulahh

Receiving my BTK prosthesis tomorrow. Advice?

I would like to hear your advice tips and general comments based on your experiences. I am a Type II Diabetic. Amputation was almost 8 months ago. Stump would not heal and required a second surgery (I&D) back in April to facilitate healing.
  • hopefulauthor

Basic Questions about Amputation

Hi all,I have a confession to make: I am not an amputee. I am here to learn a little bit about the struggles that you all have faced. I sincerely hope my request does not offend anyone, as that is not my intention. I am an aspiring writer, and I am currently working on what I hope will someday be a novel. One of my main characters lost her left leg below the knee due to a car accident when she...
  • Bennyooten

Mobility after bka

My name is Benny I'm having left leg below knee amputation in 2 weeks.  It's elective trying to improve mobility.  Ive had drop foot for 17 years and I'm 33 now it's miserable.  Does mobility usually improve 
  • Marnie2016

Sleeping with your leg

Hi,I am new to this, deciding on an elective amputation due to many unsuccessful surgeries on my left ankle and foot. I have heard that many people fall after getting out of bed, because they forget they do not have a leg anymore. I was wondering- have you ever slept with your leg on? I know that getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I am going to forget and fall.
  • Rania

I feel huge pain no one can imagine it

Hi my  name is Rania..I lost my left leg below the knee due to a very bad car accidents. I have been in non stop pain for more than one year the Prosthesis that I'm wear now is very bad quality it's hard and cause me pain this beside the nerve pain .My disability has affected my whole  life am civil engineer now I can't work at any site I can't walk only few steps doctor asked me to not get...
  • GianaM3

Here to learn.

Hello everyone!I'm here as well to hopefully ask a few questions for my writing. I really hope this isn't out of line or offensive. I'm writing a story and I'm a little stuck because I also don't know too much.So, I was hoping if at all possible that maybe someone would be willing to talk to me and tell me a bit about themselves/readjusting to life after having a limb (the character in my story...