Amputees Support Group

Amputation is the removal of a body extremity by trauma or surgery. Many have undergone amputation or have been living with a missing limb since birth. In either case, life as an amputee can be challenging. This is the place to find others going through the same experiences as an amputee. Share your thoughts, troubles, and solutions with the community.

0 Online
  • Hello all,     My name is Shane and I have been through two toe amputations and now am looking at the possibility of a BKA of the right leg. Due to severe cellulitis and lower leg peripheral neuropathy, and Charot Arthropathy, I just can seem to get my foot healthy. I have the right great toe amputated to the ball of the foot and have been through extensive antibiotic treatment and close to...
  • BeckyLiv

Hanger prosthetics Difficulty with fit

Hi;  I am a 41 year left knee disartic amputee.  Up until my current prosthesis I have enjoyed a good fit and good cosmetic appearance.  My current prosthesis is from Hanger.  Simply put, it sucks.  The fit is awful and I have a problem with sores developing due to pressure points that should not be there.  They were supposed to copy the prosthesis I was using when this one was made.  ...
  • ibbshop

Single BKA, about to be double BKA...

I've been a left BKA since 2004 (diabetes), and circulation issues are finally forcing me to lose the other foot below the right knee. I know thousands have gone thru this and live as normal as possible lives, but for me there are a great many "unknowns".  I'd love to hear from some other double BKA's about some of the things I need to be aware of as I transistion next week.
  • Godluvnlady57

Prosthesis in the shower?

Will I be able to shower with my prosthesis on? Or, do I have to have some sort of water prosthesis?
  • mhussey

Only a month...

Hello Everyone! I had my big toe amputated a month ago. I have really tried to stay positive during this ordeal. I have my moments especially when I have to look at it. It was a doctors error. I'm still kind of upset about the ordeal that led to the amputation. I'm really trying to let it go. Does anyone have any positive ways to get through this???
  • Tony70

Right big toe amputated

Hi evervody!I've lost my left big toe about 3 months ago, due to a hiking accident where I had a boulder crushed my left foot and part of my left leg. I went through reconstructive surgery on my foot and I am recuperating. Although, I recently am starting to walk, due to pain on my knee and part of the foot I not able to walk at a normal rate (speed).  My question is: can you walk a normal speed...
  • The School of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Leeds are interested in your experience of lower back pain and balance problems whilst using your prosthetic leg. So that we can get a better understanding of the effect these have on the everyday lives of prosthetic leg users, we have designed an online questionnaire that takes about 15-30 minutes to complete and that will ask you about your...
  • deleted_user

Kansas City - Amputee Resources??

Hi, my wife last week had a double, below the knee amputation, as a result from a serious illness she was battling these last 4 weeks (mennicocial menengitis).We live in Overland Park, KS, and are being treated at the Kansas University Burn Center. I am interested in getting additional information relating to:1. Home, site visit to address what is needed to be changed, etc. at our house2. ...
  • hendosgirl

Elective Amputation??

Where to start? Seriously considering asking my Ortho for an elective amputation. Im 32 years old, mom of 2. Ive had 4 knee surgeries (tibial Osteotomy, revision for non union, tibial osteotomy, partial hardware removal). I have a varus deformity, with instability, post lateral thrust. I have been passed from one ortho to the next (meeting #5 this fall) because of the complexity of surgeries ive...
  • solver

stump length

A little background.  I am a RBK for 15 years.  My stump is aprox 14".  I lost it in a construction accident.  I am a big guy, 6"3", 320 lbs, not diabetic. I have a wound on my stump that is complicated.  I have been to numerous doctors which start out with a plan for healing that consequently ends with revision for various reasons which have not held merit.   I have been tested for bone...
  • macawma

Frustration

hello. I had a bka in September after a antibiotic-resistant infection in a post surgical sight got out of hand. Before this, I was in a wheel chair for about a year trying to heal. I have always been very active in my life and it came as quite a surprise that I wasn't able to get up out of my chair for about 6 weeks following the amputation. I had my first experience with the pin-lock system...
  • deleted_user

Driving questions for R. Leg amps

This question(s) is for all the right leg amputees out there1- Do you still drive a car/truck?2- Do you use your prosthesis to drive with or do you cross over with your left foot or have you had your car modified with hand controls or left foot adapter?3- Would you use or be interrested in using a foot or foot/ankle type device that mimics the foot/ankle movement of a real foot/ankle on the gas...
  • deleted_user

how long does it take to walk again

i just got my prosethic and im an above the knee im just going into rehab to learn how to walk and just wondering how long it takes to learn
  • Marnie2016

Sleeping with your leg

Hi,I am new to this, deciding on an elective amputation due to many unsuccessful surgeries on my left ankle and foot. I have heard that many people fall after getting out of bed, because they forget they do not have a leg anymore. I was wondering- have you ever slept with your leg on? I know that getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I am going to forget and fall.
  • Project1

Blister please help5

i am getting these blisters sins I got my sucksion cub an it is burnin and sore. Can someone help please