Amputees Support Group

Amputation is the removal of a body extremity by trauma or surgery. Many have undergone amputation or have been living with a missing limb since birth. In either case, life as an amputee can be challenging. This is the place to find others going through the same experiences as an amputee. Share your thoughts, troubles, and solutions with the community.

0 Online
0 Online
  • hendosgirl

Elective Amputation??

Where to start? Seriously considering asking my Ortho for an elective amputation. Im 32 years old, mom of 2. Ive had 4 knee surgeries (tibial Osteotomy, revision for non union, tibial osteotomy, partial hardware removal). I have a varus deformity, with instability, post lateral thrust. I have been passed from one ortho to the next (meeting #5 this fall) because of the complexity of surgeries ive...
  • Bennyooten

Mobility after bka

My name is Benny I'm having left leg below knee amputation in 2 weeks. It's elective trying to improve mobility. Ive had drop foot for 17 years and I'm 33 now it's miserable. Does mobility usually improve
  • Hi,I am new to this, deciding on an elective amputation due to many unsuccessful surgeries on my left ankle and foot. I have heard that many people fall after getting out of bed, because they forget they do not have a leg anymore. I was wondering- have you ever slept with your leg on? I know that getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I am going to forget and fall.
  • greyhounds92

New to group

Hello all Im 42 yr old who is a fiancee of an amputee... Although he has home health aides coming in 6 days a wk I help him the other times when they arent there..... They are only in 4 and a half hrs a day... He has a great attitude through all of this its been a yr since his amputation got his prosthetic leg 2 months later and was doing home PT for 4-5 months then graduated to out patient PT...
  • Auggiejames

New to all this

So I'm a new amputee. I lost all of my hand except my pinky on my left hand and part of two fingers on the right. In the 2 weeks I have started to become depressed. I'm just curious if it gets easier? Where I live there is no groups or anything like that. So anything might help. Thank you
  • SammySlugger

My son at the fair

My son has an Symes amputation. He is nine years old and his prosthetic fits great and never comes off. We went to the county fair yesterday and the first ride we got on, the carnie told us he had to get off and get a permission slip to ride because he has an injury. I , his mother, instantly became furious as did his Grandma. We put up an argument as we didn't feel it was fair, it embarrassed...
  • Hi there!The Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Loma Linda University Health is conducting research on the use of virtual reality to manage phantom limb pain in amputees. If you or someone you know is interested in participating, and meet the following criteria: 1. Age 18 or older2. Have an amputation of hand or forearm (below the elbow)3. Amputation was completed greater...
  • Becky-Alexander

Jokes about missing limb

How does it make you feel when people crack jokes about your missing limb? I'm not sensitive about my missing arm, as I've lived with it from birth. I always smile and laugh along because it's usually a friend or acquaintance. And maybe they feel comfortable joking with me because they know me well and love me. But to be honest, I never like it when someone cracks a joke about my arm. It's ok for...
  • Hello all!My name is Megan and I am a final year Product Design Student in the National College of Art and Design in Dublin, Ireland and for my major project I am interested in creating 3D printed prosthetics. In order to create the best possible product I need input from those living without limbs; I need to understand what it means to be and amputee and I need to learn about your experience...
  • hopefulauthor

Basic Questions about Amputation

Hi all,I have a confession to make: I am not an amputee. I am here to learn a little bit about the struggles that you all have faced. I sincerely hope my request does not offend anyone, as that is not my intention. I am an aspiring writer, and I am currently working on what I hope will someday be a novel. One of my main characters lost her left leg below the knee due to a car accident when she...
  • jdress

tired and gianing weight

Tied of phantom and pian in remaining leg and drug hang over from docs meds It been three years will i ever be pian free agian what do poeple do to boost thier energy i always exuasted?
  • dmsnj

Skin Issues?

I am a new BKA (a few months) and am wondering if anyone has skin issues that have changed post surgery. Sweating, rashes, the skin on my head feels strange even after a shower. I did hear of someone putting anti perspirant on the stump. Would love to hear other thoughts on this.Thank you
  • I am an above the knee amputee. I wear a gel liner and my socket has soft plastic inner layer and is hard on the outside. Just wondering with all that )my socket is so huge, barely fits in my pants (its so big that my pant leg is too short and I have to roll up my pant leg) and it is not that comfortable. Is this normal? Is there something out there that is more comfortable or do I just have to...
  • rachelj11

Sores from prosthesis

I've had a below the knee prosthesis since I was 6 years old and am fully aware that occasional sores are inevitable. As I've gotten older (nearly 30) I've found that I am limited in how active I can be before my stump is in too much pain to walk. I can exercise but not daily and I have to plan my activity (i.e. if I want to go to gymnastics class on a Thursday then I shouldn't ride my bike on...
  • LeftBKMarch2007

What to do?

I have two extra leftfoots that I don't use anymore. Where would be a good place to try and sell them? I tried ebay but I got no reply to my ad. Any ideals would be appreciated