Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

1 Online
  • Andrea_3000

Trichotillomania Bracelet

https://youtu.be/LGwJu3nGIegKeen is a smart bracelet, co-created by a "trichster," that helps people become aware of subconscious behaviors like hair pulling, skin picking, nail biting (collectively known as Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors, or BFRBs) and thumb-sucking.I know I have mentioned it to another person on this site, but I just wanted to tell the group about it. Above is a link to a...
  • getbacktoserenity

What do you feel when you resist an urge?

I think this is a very important factor of any impulse control disorder. What happens if you pull away from any particular moment of great urge and temptation?I have been trying to explore this aspect recently. It's been difficult to tug myself out of the strong need to self harm, but when I do...it is only if I insist that I am doing it for my well being. I have to talk myself out of the desire...
  • KitCat24

Hello everybody!

Hi, I'm new to this community but not new to this condition. I'm 22 and I've been pulling as long as I can remember, as early as 5 at least. This last year has been the first year I've been able to open up to anyone in my life about it, but I still struggle accepting it sometimes. I'm just here to know that I'm not alone. That other people feel what I feel, do what I do, and can still be...
  • Shelly_24

Is there anybody willing to talk about this issue

:(
  • gilmoregirl729

Life Sentence...At Least It Feels That Way

I have battled trichotillomania for 29 years.  I am 41 now and it is a daily battle.  I have recently moved to Florida and left all of my family, friends, and complete support system behind.  I am looking for people like me who can relate to this uncontrollable desire to pull, as well as any "life hacks" to getting through each day without pulling.
  • Gussy05

New to this

I have had TTM  for about 12 years. Haven't found a forum quite like this one before. Looks great. Has anyone found anything that helps? I have Tried tangles and St John's wort, barriers and general fiddlys. I want one of those fidget cubes I keep seeing everywhere. Thanks for reading... 
  • Krystal123

looking for someone to talk to ..

I'm looking for someone who can talk and listen. Someone who I can text or call when I wanna pull. Someone I can trust with my secrets. Someone who can help me out. Dm me your snapchat or something, please. I just need someone right now 
  • getbacktoserenity

Alcohol

Does alcohol decrease the desire to pull? It is a depressant so it would make some sense if it does help to relieve the urges. I heard that coffee can increase the urges to self harm since it is a stimulant. Other stimulants such as cocaine and meth also create an urge to self pick because these substances excite the nervous system.And from my own personal experience witch cannabis, it minimized...
  • getbacktoserenity

N-Acetyl Cysteine

Anyone tried this supplement? There have been some promising studies on its effects, although I heard from one psychiatrist that its not as effective as the studies show. 
  • Lately I have finally been able to stop biting my nails. I noticed over a period of a few years that my desire to bite at my nails and cuticles has slowly diminished. I do not know what exactly prompted this change. I have tried for a very long time to keep my nails colored in order to eliminate the impulse. It might have finally helped to kick the habit, although I am not completely sure. I have...
  • seahag

Sugar

For me, it's clearly a matter of too much sugar consumption and not always just junk food sugar, sometimes too much of a real food, such as potatoes, does me in - as I just realized.  I've gone months without any desire, but I made a big batch of potatoes recently and I have had a few too many sandwiches with the bread lately.  Too much bread will do it, but those sugar coated cookies you get...
  • getbacktoserenity

Hair pulling and skin picking/ dissociation???

Im wondering if these issues that we experience are linked to dissociative disorders. I know that when I skin pick I tend to dissociate to some point, and maybe this is why im drawn to such a habit. It upholds the dissociative feeling. Of feeling zoned out and not caring about anything else. What are your thoughts on such a theory?
  • manda1276

trichotillomania

hi, iv been pulling my hair since i was 10 years old, im 20 now im looking for other people stories and answers on how to deal with this, i had just found out what this hair pulling thing is, and i cant stop its so odd explaining it, it feels good its like my fingers are magnets to my head hair and it wont stop till i find that one that feels so good, iv pulled out my eyelashes, eyebrows and now...
  • Onthejourney

Picking ingrown hairs

Hi!I've been hair pulling since I was around 16 and stopped for a year or so, I'm now 23 and continue constantly to pull my hair despite efforts to stop. However that's another story ahha  More recently I've become obsessed with picking ingrown hairs on my bikini area ( I have very sensitive skin and shaving causes bumps etc. Waxing not so much) even with waxing I've had constant ingrown hairs...
  • LeoLost

Barely..

I feel awkward to say it,due to the fact that I feel guilty. But nevertheless I have been pulling my hair for quite some time and don't know how to speak about it. I joined this to seek out for some support. I have gotten to the point of bald patches. I don't know how to control it most of the time, can anybody send some advice my way.