Pulmonary Embolism Support Group

By far the most common form of pulmonary embolism is a thromboembolism, which occurs when a blood clot, generally a venous thrombus, becomes dislodged from its site of formation and embolizes to the arterial blood supply of one of the lungs. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing, pain during breathing, and more rarely circulatory instability and death.

0 Online
0 Online
  • Whitebandit

Accurate Diagnosis

I am so pleased to have found this support group and forum.I wish to establish amongst the experiences of members the accuracy of CT scans in the diagnosis of a PE.My reason for this is due to a flippant comment made to me by my GP, during a consult post my PE diagnosis.Background to my issues:I suffered a provoked DVT in my right leg following orthopaedic surgery to my right knee. This was in...
  • Gosh, it's been a while since I've been on here and the new changes are...DIFFERENT. I'm now 2 years out from my PE and was doing quite well, physically. I say "was" because I'm now nearly 22 weeks pregnant with my second (my older one is 5) and I'm struggling quite a bit with this pregnancy. At my anatomy scan last week, I learned this little boy is sitting breech with his head right around my...
  • Hi all,hope you are all doing well (or better!).This week I went for some check-ups (heart echo, lung echo and hematologist). Good news is that my heart is in good shape and I have only slightly increased pressure in the pulmonary arteries (I still have residual clots from my first PE back in 2014).The hematologist suggested I switch to another blood thinner. I am currently on Xarelto. The...
  • jdpcurr

Help please

hi. I'm Patrick. My girlfriend was just released yesterday from the hospital here in charlotte nc. She was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolism. She had clots in both lungs. Upper and lower. She is such a strong woman and def my rock. What she went through scared the ever loving hell out of me and her. I don't ever want to go through that again. I'm looking for maybe people in my area or a...
  • I have been sick with one thing after another since my PE two months ago. I have had one repsitory issue after another, headaches, stomach issues, earaches etc. You name it I am picking it up. I am normally a very healthy person. I can't seem to get back on my feet. I have a few good days and then I get something else. I have another virus right now. I am curious to know if this could be an...
  • Hi all, obviously new here. As the title says I was diagnosed just this last Sunday after driving myself to the ER. Just had my first INR test Thursday after seeing my GP on Tuesday. It was 1.2 so the increased my waraphin (sp) to 1 pill 5 days a week and 1.5 pills 2 days a week as well as shots I do at home. There is little info about what to expect on recovery even from doctors...so every...
  • hxmegxc

questions

I'm not looking for help for anything. I just want to be able to talk about what's gone on. Almost 13 years ago i met my best friend, my other half. About a year and a half ago she almost died from a blood clot. She recovered. A year later, she started not being able to breathe again and 911 was called. She was taken into ICU. Being as she was a big girl, they said they "couldn't" fit her into...
  • I had a bilateral pe with infarction back in November. Doing much better. Back to work and exercising. Had some weight loss and trying to gain it back. I'm off xarelto also. My question is does anxiety continue this late in the game. I'm better but the past couple of days felt mild brief pain in calf. Have occasional rib pain when I do to much exercise. Just wondering if this is what some of you...
  • Hello,I was recently diagnosed with 2 PE's and 3 blood clots in my leg. My lung is damaged from the PE's and i'm having quite a bit of pain in the rib area that radiates to the shoulders. I hate taking the strong pain med's and worry about becoming addicted. Are there any tips for how to get more comfortable in dealing with the pain without taking prescription meds? I can't sleep at night...
  • soola

Back again

I started posting about 2 months ago when I was diagnosed, although in hindsight, I had symptoms of PEs before last Christmas. To update, I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and was supposed to have a full hysterectomy last May. But the week before surgery, my leg swelled up. I had the ultrasound that told me I had clots. That postponed the surgery by another month as they immediately put...
  • I was wondering if anyone could answer. I had blood tests after finishing xarelto. Seems I am positive for factirbV leiden. Do they usually test again for accuracy? I've been off xarelto for a couple of weeks. See my doctor on Monday.
  • DaisyDear

Considering surgery

I've had two episodes of pulmonary embolisms and I'm now a lifetime coumading user. I need to have total knee replacement surgery and the surgeons that I've seen all say that I need to have a filter put in before surgery. The thought of this scares me. Has anyone who already had PEs had knee or hip replacement surgery with or without a filter?thanks!
  • Has anyone with PE's experienced a lump in your chest like you swallowed somehting wrong and then developed a dry cough. I'm a little worried because they say to watch for coughin up pink mucus or blood. Nothing is coming up but for the past two days, i've had this weird knot i my chest.
  • klh16

New

I was diagnosed last week and was just looking for some advice really. I'm only 20 which is rare and the doctors have all been shocked with my condition. I had/have no symptoms other than a harsh pain down my side and in my neck/shoulder area. I was discharged from the hospital on friday and since then my pain has been easing to the point where it now barely exists. I am finding it very strange...
  • Hboyd

First night home

Hi everyone, So glad I can acorss this forum. Saturday night I woke up with shortness of breath and some pain in my arm, it continues off and on for the rest of the day and I finally went to the ER. They did the ekg and it was fine, most tests came back fine, chest X-ray came back on but the blood test they do for blood clots did not come back ok. I then went for a ct scan and they said they...