Narcolepsy Support Group

A sleep disorder (somnipathy) is a disorder in the sleep patterns of a person or animal. Some sleep disorders can interfere with mental and emotional function. If you are having trouble falling asleep or having some other kind of sleep disturbance, this group is for you.

0 Online
  • deadtired

Alone

hi I'm new and just officially diagnosed last week. I have narcolepsy without cateplexia. I have a terrible time explaining what narcolepsy is like to my family and I therefore have very little support. I'm 48 with 2 daughters 9 & 11. We have live with my boyfriend now for 2 years. I have fought my symptoms for so long I have no idea how to ask for help. I am ashamed that I even need help because...
  • sleepylittle1

Feeling alone

Im 19 and in the last year (2015) was diagnosed with narcolepsy-cataplexy. I have cataplexy, sleep paralysis, hallucinations, and day-time sleepiness. My family does not understand this disorder, though they have come with me to the diagnostic appointment and understand the tests conducted. I have gotten in a car accident (nothing major) from falling asleep while driving at 7am, a month or so...
  • nora94

Narcolepsy without Cataplexy

So, I am totally new to this site.I have Narcolepsy Without cataplexy. I was diagnosed with it a few months ago (July 2016). I also have ADD and I'm in nursing schoool. I take Adderall 10mg twice a day with caffeine supplement 200mg whenever I need it. I was also prescribed Ambien 10mg to take at night but I rarely get enough hours of sleep to take it. The last time I took it, I ended up sleeping...
  • SleepySydney

Newly Diagnosed-questions

Does anyone here have narcolepsy without cataplexy, sleep paralysis or hypnagogic hallucinations? I was diagnosed last week due to my severe EDS and MSLT results- I slept all five naps, for four of them had a sleep latency of under 3 minutes, and had 2 SOREM. My PSG was normal although I was in REM for 39% of the time which seems high to me. I also do not fall asleep uncontrollably. I have...
  • Cpcake980

Looking for hope

I am 36 and was diagnosed in 2012 with narcolepsy and cataplexy. I don't fully understand it or what is happening to my body. Over the last year my cataplexy spells have taken a major turn for the worst and I am having severe spells multiple times a day. I feel alone in this and have little support or people who believe this is a real disorder. It's very frustrating and it's hard not to be...
  • canadianqueen

Narcolepsy Maybe?

I've not been diagnosed with Narcolepsy but was told I may suffer from it. I wanted to know if anyone could relate to this because I feel I don't have Narcolepsy. I dream all night long and wake up in the middle of my dreams, so I always remember them and they are very vivid. Some days I'm tired, but not enough to sleep but have no energy to do anything. At night, it takes me an hour to fall...
  • deleted_user

Is this mild cataplexy? help pls!

I am a nursing student and almost finished with school thank goodness. It has been almost impossible for me to get through school being as exhausted as I am. Fighting to stay awake and fighting some odd symptoms. Lately I have been having what I would describe as brain "zaps" kind of like a feeling of electricity in my head or as if someone is "stirring" my brains. When I have this feeling I feel...
  • What is the best medication for dealing with cataplexy? I've heard xyrem works really well but I can't take that, i'm on Fluoxetine HCL 40mg. What worked best for other people? 
  • Lightjm

Newbie to forum not to N

So, I have N. I was dx about 10 years ago. I did not know a forum like this exsisted. I am very thankful that this is here. I look forward to reading what everyone has to say and glad that I am not alone!
  • I work 2-11pm and have for 8 yrs. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy in 2009. I switched doctors recently and one of the first things he said to me was that I needed a different shif and my previous doctor had never said anything about it. So he filled out the work place arrangement paperwork my employer provided. My employer wants the doctor to specify the hours I should work but the doctor said he...
  • I'm 15 i was diagnosed with narcolepsy and cataplexy 3 years ago. Its been really hard for me, it seems like the doctor is'nt doing much to help me. I feel like i'm taking so much medication, i think it's making me very despressed and causing severe anxitey issues. The past three years things have only gotten worst. I don't do much, i only have 1 friend, i really don't have much of a exciting...
  • NRiddle87

Nothing to look forward to

I've had Narcolepsy since middle school. I was having a very hard time staying awake in class and i kept getting in trouble about it. They would have meetings with my mom to discuss it and tell me I had to be staying up too late and needed to go to sleep earlier. I ended up dropping out of school as soon as i turned 16 because I was too depressed and i didnt understand why school was so hard for...
  • Laura72

College with cataplexy?

Hi, I'm a college student and have been experiencing episodes of what I think are cataplexy for almost six months now but haven’t been diagnosed with anything and have a sleep study test in about a month and a half. I’m finding it more and more difficult to be at school as I’ve had episodes in class and have had to explain to professors that while I don’t know what is actually...
  • arfie

Self Diagnosing

I am willing to bet dollars to wishes that Narcolepsy runs through my bloodline like a freight train. I am only willing to bet, though. Family estrangement also runs in my blood-line and I decidedly/deliberately lack the determination and courage to brave the bloody fields between my estranged blood family members. They are ONLY blood. There are almost no functional bonds between the branches of...
  • mindy805

Xyrem and memory loss

i have been taking Xyrem for 10 years. I am on the highest dose. I have been struggling with memory loss both short and long term. I used to be very productive at work always on top of things and got things done on time. I am now not able to remember doing regular tasks that are due on a weekly or monthly basis. I can remember where I file things and if I find where I filed it I don't remember...