Narcolepsy Support Group

A sleep disorder (somnipathy) is a disorder in the sleep patterns of a person or animal. Some sleep disorders can interfere with mental and emotional function. If you are having trouble falling asleep or having some other kind of sleep disturbance, this group is for you.

1 Online
  • Camryn34

just upset

Hello, i'm 17 years old and i was diagnosed with narcolepsy 1 year ago and i am medicated on the highest dose of nuvigil.... and i am miserable. i feel like my days are just cloudy every day and like clouds cover my eyes like it's miserable and dull. it ruins my days and i feel exhausted and feel i can't enjoy my life. it kills me and i just wish the cards were different and i wasn't ever...
  • Deadredsister

xyrem. not working

Hi. I am a 55 yo female,recently diagnosed w/narcolepsy after more than 4 decades of extreme sleepiness. My sleep doc perscribed xyrem after trying a multitude of meds that didn't work on me. I have been on 4.5g twice a night for about a month and a half,but still can't fall asleep on first dose. I also take 1 mg of clonopin,10mg of flexeril and 10mg of soma along with xyrem.wondering if anyone...
  • Husband

New here

I'm a 43 and was diagnosed with narcolepsy with cataplexy 5 years ago. Since then I have had to retire because my diagnosis disqualified me from doing my job. The doctors see me once every 6 months just to tell me there's nothing new on the market for treatment. Turns out I'm allergic to everything on the current market. So I'm untreatable. Has anybody run into this problem?
  • tngirl

Glucose testing and sleepiness

I've started checking my blood sugar several times a day to see if I can find a connection w feeling crappy.  A little self study on how food and adderall effect my blood sugar levels and fatigue.  If anyone has done anything similar I'd love to hear about it or if anyone has researched the effects of adderall and/or ambien on blood sugar.p.s. I'm 42 yo female diagnosed narcolepsy and...
  • deleted_user

fibromyalgia

Has anyone else on here also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia?
  • Queen_Bash

A Driving Train Wreck- HELP NEEDED

25 yo female diagnosed with Narcolepsy without Cataplexy about 8 months ago. I have been taking modafinil since being diagnosed but the effectiveness of the drug seems to wear off after a short space of time. I orginially started on 200mg but this was then increased to 400mg a few months ago as I started having sleep attacks again. Unfortunately this higher dosage has started to become...
  • alexisdanielle

Just wish people could understand sometimes

I was diagnosed about 2 years ago with narcolepsy without cataplexy. I have severe EDS, takes me less than 3 minutes to hit R.E.M. once I'm asleep, and I never feel refreshed in the mornings and have an extremely hard time being able to wake up and get out of bed (rather just roll over and go back to sleep. Pretty sure I'm a Type 1 even without cataplexy).As far as I know, I have had it since I...
  • Kiimii

A Dream within a Dream

Has anyone else here read "A Dream within a Dream" by Edgar Allen Poe and thought that he too, must have some sort of sleep disorder?There is so much heart break in the poem, where a man tries to explain ferverntely to others that what he dreams is as real to him as reality. My narcolepsy has led me to have vivid, lucid dreams every night since I was 5. Because it all felt so real, and because...
  • AndrewLondonUk

Flu Vaccine

Hi,In 2009 I had a seasonal flu jab for the first time. Shortly after I began to experience cataplexy, later the signs of narcolepsy became evident.I keep reading about the pandemic vaccination and it's role in new cases of narcolepsy. Is it just a huge coincidence that my narcolepsy began after my jab or is there a link nobody is reporting on?Advice would be appreciated.ThanksAndrew
  • spanieldad

Advice please

Hi allIm a 53 year old man who has had Narcolepsy with cataplexy as long as i can remember, I have never had a diagnosis as im to worried about loosing my job etc, I have Sleep paralysis, Hypnagogic hallucinations, cataplexy, automatic behaviour and sleep attacks, my short memory is appaling. I sleep  12 hours a night if i can then it's a battle to stay awake all-day, my question is can...
  • deadtired

Alone

hi I'm new and just officially diagnosed last week. I have narcolepsy without cateplexia. I have a terrible time explaining what narcolepsy is like to my family and I therefore have very little support. I'm 48 with 2 daughters 9 & 11. We have live with my boyfriend now for 2 years. I have fought my symptoms for so long I have no idea how to ask for help. I am ashamed that I even need help because...
  • SMM04

Armodafinil & Adderall

Frustrated! Playing around with the dosages but still so tired and falling asleep. Adderall has no affect on me at all. Any recommendations to bring back to my doctor? 
  • sleepygirl

Narcolepsy + Memory Loss?

I am a 23 year old female dx narcolepsy without cataplexy. I have had trouble with my short term memory for as long as I can remember (ha-ha). As my narcolepsy has gotten worse, so have my memory problems. I forget entire events and conversations within hours of having them. I'm always losing things, despite having a place for everything, I still manage to set things down and totally lose...
  • sleepygirl

Introducing myself..

Well hello! I'm a 23 year old cis female recently diagnosed with narcolepsy, though it's something I've been struggling with since middle school (doctors tend not to listen to kids so even though I tried to get help way back then, nothing came from it). Personally, I find sleep attacks inconvenient and sometimes embarrassing, but they're the least of my concerns, symptom-wise. I get horrible,...
  • arfie

Roll Call

If my ifs are in alignment, there have been 3 newcomers here in a single week. I've been lurking in this forum long enough to believe that might even be unprecedented here. Maybe. Haven't been enthusiastic in my lurking to have kept records, but I thought I would re-introduce myself with hopes that others might introduce themselves, as well.I have been attempting to find on-going dialog since...