Narcolepsy Support Group

A sleep disorder (somnipathy) is a disorder in the sleep patterns of a person or animal. Some sleep disorders can interfere with mental and emotional function. If you are having trouble falling asleep or having some other kind of sleep disturbance, this group is for you.

0 Online
0 Online
  • Laura72

College with cataplexy?

Hi, I'm a college student and have been experiencing episodes of what I think are cataplexy for almost six months now but haven’t been diagnosed with anything and have a sleep study test in about a month and a half. I’m finding it more and more difficult to be at school as I’ve had episodes in class and have had to explain to professors that while I don’t know what is...
  • I work 2-11pm and have for 8 yrs. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy in 2009. I switched doctors recently and one of the first things he said to me was that I needed a different shif and my previous doctor had never said anything about it. So he filled out the work place arrangement paperwork my employer provided. My employer wants the doctor to specify the hours I should work but the doctor said he...
  • arfie

Self Diagnosing

I am willing to bet dollars to wishes that Narcolepsy runs through my bloodline like a freight train. I am only willing to bet, though. Family estrangement also runs in my blood-line and I decidedly/deliberately lack the determination and courage to brave the bloody fields between my estranged blood family members. They are ONLY blood. There are almost no functional bonds between the branches of...
  • deleted_user

Is this mild cataplexy? help pls!

I am a nursing student and almost finished with school thank goodness. It has been almost impossible for me to get through school being as exhausted as I am. Fighting to stay awake and fighting some odd symptoms. Lately I have been having what I would describe as brain "zaps" kind of like a feeling of electricity in my head or as if someone is "stirring" my brains. When I have this feeling I feel...
  • mindy805

Xyrem and memory loss

i have been taking Xyrem for 10 years. I am on the highest dose. I have been struggling with memory loss both short and long term. I used to be very productive at work always on top of things and got things done on time. I am now not able to remember doing regular tasks that are due on a weekly or monthly basis. I can remember where I file things and if I find where I filed it I don't remember...
  • canadianqueen

Narcolepsy Maybe?

I've not been diagnosed with Narcolepsy but was told I may suffer from it. I wanted to know if anyone could relate to this because I feel I don't have Narcolepsy. I dream all night long and wake up in the middle of my dreams, so I always remember them and they are very vivid. Some days I'm tired, but not enough to sleep but have no energy to do anything. At night, it takes me an hour to fall...
  • hiddenshadow

What is your cataplexy like?

I'm wondering if anyone could share their story if they were diagnosed with narcolepsy because of their cataplexy alone? Did you bring a witness to the appointment, or did some doctors believe that you had cataplexy hands down? My knees randomly buckle, and sometimes I will fall over because of this. There are times where I catch myself, or my knees won't fully give in, but I'm unsure of when it...
  • 2tired2type

FOCUS

I have come to terms with having narc and its vast plethora of symptoms,a long time ago .But I will never get use to the fact that I spend all my focus on the inability not to focus and stay awake. Anyone else feel like its the same bad deja vu everyday?
  • RMJ13

Narcolepsy Spouses

My husband was diagnosed 4 years ago and we are really starting to have a hard time on our marriage. I am having a hard time really understanding the disease and being a good support system for him. I hate that he has it and I know that it's selfish but I have to be honest. I especially hate it for our three kids. Anyone else out there to talk with???????
  • oaklord

Xyrem help please!

I have Narcolepsy with cataplexy and rls, I started taking Xyrem only two weeks ago, and I am only on the low dose of 4.5 a night. Since I started it my rls has increased loads, and I can't get to sleep, whereas before I started it I was always out like a light the moment my head hit the pillow. When I do sleep I don't dream any more so it seems at least to help in that respect. I have had...
  • dstrange04

Xyrem Advice

I was diagnosed with narcolepsy with EDS about a year ago. My doctor recently started me on xyrem and I'm really struggling adjusting to it. Does anyone have any experiences with xyrem and tips/ advice to offer?
  • SleepyCourtney

Insurance won't cover modifinal

I experience sleep attacks and cataplexy, and meet all diagnostic criteria for narcolepsy except for early-onset REM (which was absent on my MSLT).My doctor nonetheless stated that while he believes I have narcolepsy, he was required to write idiopathic hypersomnia as my official diagnosis, due to the REM issue. He explained that due to the fact I take an anti-depressant (Zoloft), my REM was...
  • I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Idiopathic Hypersomnia, but I have since felt like it was the wrong diagnosis. Like hypersomnia, I am always very tired. But I also have hallucinations some times at night while falling asleep or waking up. I also have night terrors, and sleepwalk at times. During the day I NEED to take 3 or so 10 minute naps or I find it very hard to stay awake. Can anyone with...
  • deleted_user

drinking or sleep disorder

Jail time for woman who hit, killed teenUpdated: Wednesday, 04 Jan 2012, 6:44 PM ESTPublished : Wednesday, 04 Jan 2012, 12:38 PM ESTNalina Shapiro Posted by: Eli GeorgeWEST SENECA, N.Y. (WIVB) - The parents of Ryan Purcell joined a packed courtroom Wednesday as fatal hit-and-run driver Lori Maciejewski learned her fate.In October, Lisa and Peter Purcell lost their 18-year-old son, Ryan, when he...
  • I just revived my 1st shipment of Xyrem. I don't know why but I'm so scared about taking this..lol. I think it has to do with having bad side effects with the other sleep medicine I've taken before.