Insomnia Support Group

Insomnia is a symptom, rather than a disease, and is characterized by inadequate quantity or quality of sleep. People with insomnia complain of difficulty falling or staying asleep, which results in significant impairment of daytime functioning. Insomnia is categorized as transient (shorter than one week), short-term (one to three weeks) or chronic (longer than three weeks).

2 Online
  • Sleepy2008

Sleep meds & side effects

I take a sedating antidepressant for my insomnia which generally works pretty well! Trouble is that it's making my hair fall out which is awful :-( I'm not keen on stopping it though as this is the only med that has worked as well for a long period of time! Does anyone else have unwanted side effects from their sleep meds?
  • becca11

I need some people who can relate...

I'm having a really rough day today, and it's hard to find people who can relate to the suffering that insomnia brings. I'm hoping some people on here can empathize with what I'm going through. It's been 15 months of severe insomnia for me--it started a full night I just didn't sleep. Then the next night too. And so on... I either can't fall asleep or I'm waking up constantly, or I wake up in the...
  • Taigarci

Can't sleep I don't know what to do I want to die

Hi. This is my first time here. I have been having sleeping problems for about 2 years now. It started when my anxiety increased because of a lot of things that were going on in my life at that moment. At the beggining it was super stressful but having a CBT therapist helped me a lot. My insomnia never went away but felt more manageable. Now im on psychoanalysis because my first therapist kept...
  • Tazz_vb

Nightmares

I have been afraid to sleep. I have been having nightmares every night I do sleep and those are causing me to stay up. Can anyone give me advice on what to do about this?
  • Pam11

Sudden insomnia

Hello everyone, my name is Pam and I'm 24 years old. The last month has been torture since I suddenly developed horrible anxiety and depression but then things started getting worse this week. I haven't been able to sleep all night so I've been basically up more than 24 hrs . I try to sleep but I cant, I literally tried everything you can think of.  Im scared because I need to sleep and I don't...
  • erichinlyonfrance

Week 3 sleep restriction, now cutting Ambien

Year 12 of insomnia, mainly staying asleep but also falling asleep. On Trazadone for 7 years and now Zopiclone for 5. Finally went to sleep center twice and mini wake ups 13 times on average during the night and slept 5-6 hours with a full zolpiclone. Realized that even with the meds, I am not staying asleep. Started sleep restriction 3 weeks ago with blue blocker glasses. Go to bed at midnight...
  • I am a 4th year Psychology student.  I am currently investigating the effects of insomnia in my final research project.  This is a subject very close to me personally, as I have also suffered with severe sleep issues for many years – and when I graduate, hope to continue in this area of research.Due to the nature of the project, I am looking for volunteers who fit the following...
  • swaggiemama

Time change

i have had insomnia my whole life. I’ve been medicated for the last 4 years. After sleep studies ect. Currently on lunesta. Anyways.. what do you with the time change. It always makes my insomnia significantly worse trying to get my body into a good new routine.. thoughts? Suggestions?
  • Somnambulent1

Introducing Myself-First Post

I’m a 48 year old female who’s experienced insomnia/anxiety on and off for the last 10 years following a car accident. This last bout started in September after Irma threatened us in Florida. Before that I had been sleeping like a champ for the last 2 years. This is so horrendous. I’m on herbals and an occasional Zyprexa, although I hate it because it’s gives me loose stools. Came here so...
  • christinamarchi

Will I ever sleep without prescription meds?

Hi everyone. This is my first post on here and am a little unsure of how this works. So I'm just going to go for it, I have been struggling with insomnia for almost 2 years now. Have been on ambien to help cope with it. I have tried everything: yoga, meditation, cognitive behavioral therapy, acupuncture, lavender oil, sleep stories/music, sleep routine, EVERYTHING. I'm starting to feel helpless...
  • JasonEternal

Have I done permanent damage to my sleep cycle?

So in short, I've been dealing with a chronic case of rhinitus (and then Sinusitis for one week) over the month of October. It was scary, did all kinds of meds such as decogestants, anti-histamines, and even the zopiclone sleeping pill to help me get over the wakeful effects of corticosteroid nasal spray (for the Rhinitis). For many grueling weeks I was only getting 2-3hours of sleep, and that...
  • AlwaysTired

Chronic Insomnia and Now ...

... trying to step away from the Benzodiazepines I've been on for nearly five years ...This is the first forum I've found that related to insomnia!  I hope to find others that can relate ... not wishing insomnia on anyone, but imagine more people deal with it than we know!My insomnia started several years ago - when I was working 3rd shift as a supervisor - I assumed the reason I wasn't getting...
  • Ash1007

Overcoming Insomnia & Ambien

I've been reading the posts on this board for the last few months and they have really helped encourage me & prove to me that I'm not alone in this. So thank you everyone for sharing your experiences here :) Now I figured I should share mine.After 7 years of taking Ambien every night, I finally quit and am finally sleeping again.  It took me a longgg time to get here but it is possible! Last...
  • mickeymeow

A Test......

Try this ...download this android app at http://goo.gl/ND6Hky .1.select "Highway" 2.disable all others sounds3.adjust the vol up to the point that you can't hear other noises3.click play and count up to 300would you feel sleepy and fall asleep within 300 counts ?I think the "buzzing" sound will put you to sleep , it's impossible to fight it .try it and let me know your result .
  • ThatOne

Me, right now

It doesn't happen often and I used to think it was just the caffeine but now it is happening again that I can't sleep because my mind is just too active and I'm just trying to steer it away from all the potential horrible thoughts I could have right now like repeating traumatic situations in my head over and over and concluding that the world is a bad place overall. I just try to do something now...