High Blood Pressure Support Group

Hypertension or high blood pressure is a medical condition wherein the blood pressure is chronically elevated. Persistent hypertension is one of the risk factors for strokes, heart attacks, heart failure and arterial aneurysm, and is a leading cause of chronic renal failure. Doctors recommend weight loss and regular exercise as the first steps in treating mild to moderate hypertension.

1 Online
  • Helen99

Losartan, 25 mg/day, is in my future....

Hi ~My family doc has been monitoring my blood pressure for about 2 years now.  It ranges from 125/78 to 145/88 and fluctuates all the time.  HBP runs on both sides of my family so I am not surprised.  I am not taking blood pressure medication yet but am pretty sure I’ll have to at some point.  My big fear is hair thinning/loss.  I have been blessed (sarcastically speaking) with fine hair...
  • aramirez626

How to figure out what is causing my high BP

Hello all! I am new to this site and am desperately looking for advice. My blood pressure seems to fluctuate between 140/80 - 145/90. I am trying to figure out what is causing this. a little about me:43 Yr old Male6 ft tall, 204 lbsAll blood work normal except Triglycerides, which are at 218 mg/dL.I eat a low carb diet, high in protein, not low in saturated fat however, but try to eat leaner...
  • bayrabbit01

Drugs and possible side effects

Does anyone know if  Prednisone, Metoprololor or Amiodipine have any side effects like heartburn from taking it on an empty stomach?  Just trying to narrow the pills that I am taking to find out which pills I might have to take on a full stomach to avoid this one annoying side effect....
  • Shae1961

HBP Woes

Hello,I've been having BP problems and today I ended up in ER.  The triage nurse took pressure at wrist w/little cuff and she got 209/113, 2 mins later a 2nd nurse took it w/average size upper arm cuff and he got 189/99 and then the doc took it a few minutes after that saying I needed a large size cuff (5'6" and 260 lbs) and he got 147/86...why such a big difference?By the time I left the ER BP...
  • Bojogirl

Hi I'm new here!

Recently diagnosed with HBP. I am female, 70 yrs old and about 30 lbs overweight. I searched online and found the Dash Diet isabout the best there is for someone with HBP. Problem is...I'm not sure I understand all of it. How much is a portion and howmany portions of each are allowed per day? I'm on medication and pressure has gone down quite a bit to where it is manageable. I don't do as much as...
  • ExerNut

Weaning off BP medication

I'm an unusual nut to crack, as my doctors would tell you. I'm an apparently healthy 66 years old, weigh 95 lbs, am 5' tall, eat healthy foods, and exercise regularly. I've been on BP meds off and on (mostly on) for 13 years. After a rocky beginning--Norvasc caused a severe headache, Lisinopril made me cough, Indapamide sent me to the ER, and Toprol left me with a heavy feeling in the chest--I...
  • bayrabbit01

Blood pressure meds

Is it possible to withdraw from blood pressure meds, either tapering or cold turkey while keeping your blood pressure at a normal level?   Or will I have to keep taking them for the rest of my life?  Any  thoughts?
  • JohnGalt55

Bizarre Side Effect from BP Meds

Hello, I regularly had BP readings around 140/90 and borderline tachycardia pulse rates in the 90s/100s. My doctor placed me on beta blockers which did wonders for my BP and pulse but developed numerous side effects and was switched to calcium channel blockers. Mere days after going on the beta blockers, I started to develop an odd feeling best described as an old engine idling roughly. I also...
  • MaryTurk

Something to think about

Me: God, can I ask You a question?God: SureMe: Promise You won't get madGod: I promiseMe: Why did You let so much stuff happen to me today?God: What do u mean?Me: Well, I woke up lateGod: YesMe: My car took forever to startGod: OkayMe: at lunch they made my sandwich wrong & I had to waitGod: HuummmMe: On the way home, my phone went DEAD, just as I picked up a callGod: All rightMe: And on top of...
  • Hi thereMy dad is 61 years old, 62.5 inches tall and 68 Kg. He has been having a blood pressure of 170/100 for a quite long period (about 2 months), he is not facing any issues so far, but I believe this number is pretty big. Below are the few more details for the reference.Blood Sugar lever: 70.0 mg/dLTotal Cholesterol  : 222.0 mg/dLTriglycerides        : 166.0 mg/dL Please clarify me on...
  • Shae1961

HBP Woes

I have had HBP for approx 20 yrs.  I also have AFIB and GERD.I am approx 50 lbs overweight and trying desperately to lose it.Lately I've been having BP spikes (180-190 over 95-105) on a daily basis.  I get slight breathlessness, chest tightness and sometimes a headache (not severe).  These spikes last anywhere from 15 mins to 4-5 hrs.I am currently taking HCTZ, Atenolol, Aspirin, Avapro,...
  • rainbowlegacym55

anyone care to share on lisnopril and side effects

Been on it for awhile and have to say all but the cough it seems to work what are long term side effects
  • sonya0378

CoQ10?

Anyone try CoQ10 to lower blood pressure?
  • rainbowlegacym55

bp reading ok but at night i hear my beating heart

i have ptsd anxiety or bp
  • dpressedx2

Lisinopril causing anxiety?

Lisinopril is the only medicine I take which is why I believe it's the lisinopril causing me some anxiety. Anybody else experience this?