Hidradenitis Suppurativa Support Group

Hidradenitis suppurativa (hi-drad-uh-NIE-tis sup-yoo-ruh-TIE-vuh) is rare, long-term skin condition that features small, painful lumps under the skin. The disease manifests as clusters of chronic abscesses or boils, sometimes as large as baseballs, that are extremely painful to the touch and may persist for years with occasional to frequent periods of inflammation, culminating in drainage, often leaving open wounds that will not heal.

0 Online
  • Sarahrm94

Just found out I have HS

I've had painful cysts for as long as I can remember that would develop around my inner thighs and under my armpit area. However, I had gotten one under my breast and I currently have one that came up under my belly. I would develop about 2-4 a month that last a week tops, usually 3-4 days. My doctor would always tell me everyone's different and made me feel horrible and like there was really no...

Dermatologist/Laser Hair Removal Questions

Hi, for those of you that have tried laser hair removal. I have heard a lot of success stories now. I saw a dermatologist two weeks ago (it was not a positive experience, he shot down everything I said about HS). When I mentioned laser hair removal his response was "not related." I was actually hoping to get some of it covered by insurance as it would be for a health reason not an aesthetic...
  • Nurse13

Another problem

Hi guys I'm new at this. HS isn't my first autoimmune disorder, it's actually my 3rd. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis my senior year of high school and then arthritis my freshman year of college. I am now in my 4th year of college about to finish my nursing degree in December and now I have this to deal with and I'm tried, angry, upset and depressed. I have been dealing with this for over...
  • JoshM

any help with odor

I use Dial antibacterial soap, but there are times I can't scrub hard enough to remove the odor. I know its from the infection itself, but That's not easy to explain to someone standing by you in the check out line. Anyone have an advice on body spray or deodorants that don't cause irriation that they have used? Baby powder helps but if it gets into an opening, back to the shower right away....
  • Sterling

Wound Care and Home Treatments

Good morning! My short history. It all started maybe 5 years ago under my armpits (one and then the other - initially I had just thought it was my bra irratating me - guess not) and then has since spread to my inner thigh area and under my stomach (a litte) and butt checks (a little) and under breast (a little). The absolute worst area though is inner thigh. It completely sucks. I went to see a...
  • HS_Survivor

Zinc

Hello all, Recently I started taking a zinc supplement, to my suprise some of my lesions healed right away. This is suprising because the lesions have been open lesions for long period of time. The supplement is in no way stopping my outbreaks however even some healing is a plus. I have stage 3 HS, pretty sure if there was a stage 4 I would qualify. My outbreak even affects my scalp and previous...
  • tjt8712

Biologics for treating HS

Hello,I recently joined this group and wanted to know what anyones' experiences have been using biologics for treating HS. I have been on weekly Humira injections since June of last year and up until the last two months the severity of my lesions had lessened and the flare ups had been reduced. Recently though I have experienced a sever ongoing flare up that is worse than any I have experienced...
  • stevethebear23

We're In This Together

Setting: Laying on the futon in my spare bedroom, sobbing, with hot compresses under my arms. Why the spare bedroom? Because HS has caused a huge divide between my partner and I. I'm so uncomfortable, depressed, in pain, and crabby that I can't even stand myself. I can't look in the mirror, I'm horrified, how am I supposed to get into bed with my partner like this? HS is taking its toll lately....
  • Jerlenny

Advice?

Hey all! I am 16 years old and was diagnosed with hidradenitis suppurativa. I've had it for about 7 years and lately it has been really hard and painful to deal with. I feel embarrassed about the condition and the scars. My dermatologist gave me doxycicline and I've been on it for about 2 months. It doesn't really help much and I have multiple bumps down there. I've been sad/ stressed. I don't...
  • curlysue200

Not a good weekend

hey guys....didn't think I'd get to the point where I needed to type out what I'm feeling but it's been a bad weekend. Ive been keeping the sores under control by staying completely gluten free since last April. On Friday, I decided to treat myself to a TINY bowl of macaroni and cheese from Tim Hortons. I was out with my friends and there wasn't any gluten free options anyways. That damn bowl of...
  • Mufaris1

Face to face

Hello HS community !!Question, has anyone ever met/ been in the same room with a fellow HS sufferer?? I HAVEN'T! We're pretty much always alone:(I  think it would be so nice to actually meet people in person who share this! To be in a physical setting surrounded with people that get it for a change! I just think it could be good for the spirit to be in an environment of understanding as opposed...
  • stevethebear23

Derm appointment finally scheduled!

I never thought setting up a dermatology appointment would take that much courage. I'm honestly terrified. Anyone have any tips to try to ease my mind about my first dermatology appointment? What to expect? How to get over feelings of embarrassment? What to say initially when I meet the doctor for thI first time? (((Ugh am I overthinking this?)))Also, I know it's a long shot. But I'm curious,...
  • aday2

Autoimmune Paleo Diet and Zinc Improved condition

Hi everyone. I am currently 30 years old, and I had HS since I was 14. I started to search for a solution for HS (doctors, dermotalogist) since the age of 23. I have done the surgery, antibiotic ointments and pills, the soaps, the injections; which gave me limited and temporary results. I then read the book "The Hidden Plague: A Field Guide for Surving and Overcomming Hidradenitis Suppurativa" by...
  • deleted_user

Canadian Version Of Hibiclens

I've been a member here on DS for about a month, I have really enjoyed reading all the old and new posts. I love hearing about all the different things we try to avoid breakouts and lessen the pain from active ones. While reading over the last month the product "Hibiclens" has come up several times and I know a lot of people out there are trying it with a lot of success.Hibiclens is not available...
  • spenny

Help

hi there I am new to this group.  I am pretty sure I have hs.  Every time I go to doctor she just gives antibiotics.  I'm in so much pain.  I can't sit down I end up getting rid of them myself.  What should i tell my doctor so she actually listens to me and understands what is happening.  Instead of oh it's just an infected boil.  There all over my but and girl parts and now one just came...