Cleft Lip / Palate Support Group

Cleft is a congenital deformity caused by a failure in facial development during gestation. It can be treated with surgery shortly after birth with highly successful results. Cleft occurs in somewhere between one in 600 and one in 800 births. Cleft occurs in several severities and is divided in two major categories: cleft lip and cleft palate.

0 Online
  • AmaraSwane

Just a normal teenage girl

Hey everyone,My name's Amara, i'm turning fifteen on the 23th and was born with an unilateral cleft lip (and palate).     And i'm new!This is actually the first time i've joined a cleft group, but i'm really excited to know that i'm not the only person who has struggles. So the first thing i would like to talk about is my appearance. I think this might be the worst thing about a cleft lip. Cuz...
  • badger

I'm new here

Hey loves,I'm new to the daily strength forum but not new to living with bilateral CL/CP. Lately, I have been struggling to cope and feel beautiful. I find myself holding onto years of agonizing memories and anger from countless surgeries and bullying. After reading your posts, I was immediately comforted to know that I am not alone. Some of the posts are word-for-word my exact thoughts and...
  • mynameisnotlily

Self-Concious

Hi, my name is Stella and I'm in middle school. I have a unilateral cleft lip and palate. I'm really self-concious about my looks and I'm worried that people will find me weird looking. I'm also worried that people will put my birth defect before my personality. I'm scared no guy will ever like me because I'm "too ugly." Do you guys have any tips for me so i can be less self- concious?
  • Z94

Just need to get stuff off my mind

Hi I'm 22 yrs old was born with a cleft lip/ palate. My life has always been hard from the daily struggle to gain acceptance from parents to simply being different from everyone. I use to be able to keep my head held high with all my plans for the future but recently life has been really hard and my whole appearance has really been getting to me. Well I don't know what else to say this is my...
  • AmberIrenex3

Conflicted

My lips have always looked a little different throughout my 17 year treatment for my bilateral cleft lip and palate. My upper lip has ALWAYS been extremely thinner than my lower lip. When I had my jaw surgery, the discrepancy between the two was minimized greatly however, my upper lip remained much thinner. When asked if I wanted to surgically change my upper lip, I declined. That decision is one...
  • chrislawrence

Embarassed

i am so sad to say this about my shallow self but to be truthful. I'm embarrassed by my  baby with cleft palate/lip/jaw. She looks like a creature. I'm having a hard time looking at her and won't take pics or let people see her. I'm ashamed I am struggling and think I'll always feel this way. I think my parents and family feel the same way. She'll be a freak all her life.i knowi'm terrible but...
  • AmberIrenex3

A Welcoming

Hey!! I was born with a Bilateral Cleft Lip and Palate. My treatment lasted about 17 years and included multiple surgeries and many years wearing braces. Upon finishing my treatment, I decided to dedicate my time to helping others born with any variety of a cleft given how rough treatment can get. I have created my own YouTube channel (username: AmberIrenex3) where I speak about what it has been...
  • Woodoow

Nice holidays

Hi !How's everyone doing ?This place has been quite dead lately, hope it's because you're all busy enjoying life and making plans !It's a shame, that place really helped me, especially during 2012-2014 ; and I'd like newcomers and old-timers alike on here to feel the same. (The redesign of the site didn't help neither, I'm learning graphic and webdesign and one of the few accepted rules if any is...
  • Maiaaa

Help

Hi my name is Maia I am 15 and was birn with a bilateral cleft lip and palate. I go to high school/college so I have to deal with the normal teenage stuff and the cleft palate stuff at school and It's horrible
  • incurrentstanding

New

Hello, My name is Angelo Miller and I was born with a bilateral cleft lip and pallet. I am 25 years old, air force veteran and working on a business degree. I've been in denial about the look of myself for as long as I can remember. For so long I would look in the mirror and somehow convince myself without much thought that I was like everyone else. This has been a great survival tool for me!...
  • jackieemma

Trying to find answers

I have a one month old daughter, Emma, with a cleft palate and Pierre Robin. She also has reflux which contributes to her feeding issues. She is finally gaining weight slowly with a Dr. Brown bottle. Her weight increase is no where it needs to be so doctors are wanting to place a "G tube" and tack her tongue. Has anyone been through this? If so was it worth it. Useful advice welcomed.
  • ZombieT

Question: Would u Date someone with a cleft?

I was talking to my gf the other day & this question came up. Obviously she would but when she asked me if I would I couldn't answer. Either as someone with a cleft or even if I didn't have one I wasn't sure.What brought the question up was I saw a young gal (18ish) or so who had a left. She was @ work but seemed so sad. I told my gf I had half the mind to just walk up on her & ask her if she was...
  • mnabdelg

The struggle with congestion

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. My name is Mariam, and I was born with a cleft of the hard palate. I had two surgeries, one at four months and one at eight years. My cleft was the result of teratogens in my mom's environment, which cause the timing problem during my embryological development. And.... walah! A cleft.Because I don't have a cleft lip, my cleft is "invisible". However, I...
  • JonSnyder

I wanted to share my original song.

Hi, everyone.I wrote and recorded a song recently that I wanted to share with all of you.It's not about the cleft experience directly (although I do have a few of those in the works). It's more about the human condition in general and it means a lot to me. Usually I feel more uncomfortable with the sound of my own singing, but on this one I don't mind.It's based on a Ray Bradbury story called...
  • daisybefree

Denial & Depression, trying to find peace

Hi,I'm new here and I feel weird and funny admitting that I have a cleft lip/palate. I'm 27 and for the first 12 years of my life I had no idea that I was "different". I was never treated differently, I was never told I looked different, I was accept wholeheartedly by the people around me.It wasn't until I was in middle school that things started to change, I started to notice I was different....