Alcoholism Support Group

Alcoholism is the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages, even when it is negatively affecting your health, work, relationships and life. If you think alcohol is causing you to lose control, it's time to seek help. Our group is a safe place to vent, check in, get back up if you fall, and reach sobriety.

3 Online
3 Online
  • Hi All, So I moved States in June. I got sober in Northern CA and had a great AA community, a sponsor and many rich wonderful friendships with the men and women in the rooms. I moved 2/3 of the way across country in June and since then have found it hard to get into a rythm with meetings and the community here. I've gone to a meeting or two a week since moving; and honestly: I don't like the...
  • In a recent genome-wide association study, experts identified three genetic markers that may increase a person's risk of developing cannabis dependence (CAD). The study involved 14,754 participants from 3 independent substance dependence cohorts including 2 ancestral populations. Depending on the cohort, between 18% and 36% had CAD. Analysis identified three independent regions with genome-wide...
  • I am a member of the HAMS Harm Reduction facebook page. I don't drink... Coming up on ten years... Watching the fb group I see that many members have a difficult time controling their drinking... They really struggle with it. I still feel that moderation should remain an option for anyone with an alcohol problem. What do the numbers say? I'm off to read this...
  • Hi, I'm new to this. But I have been dealing with alcohol issues for a long time. I'm 32 and will be 33 at the end of the year. I don't want to die being known as alcoholic. I have dreams that can't go to wais . Because I can't find the strength to let go. I really want to do better but I'm scared of what people might think of me.
  • Vanisher

New to AA in NYC

Hi all:I'm new to AA in NYC. Can anyone recommend good meetings in the Manhattan or Brooklyn area? I have been sober only a few months and each day is the slowest day in the world, but I somehow get through. I just want to stay on track and am so afraid. Feel like I'm walking a tight rope. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Wendy
  • Lots is going on with me right now. First of all 7 months and some odd days alcohol free here. I am having a rough go of it right now. My husband is terribly unhappy in his job and is working a lot which leaves me to the house and kids plus my job and very little emotional support. I am having some problems with foot pain, and being in my job I am on my feet pretty much all the time. I also have...
  • had two years picked up on weekends problem with trying moderation is,, i have an eating disorder anxiety ptsd and alchohol is not the main issue it makes ptsd worse brings out anger i cannot afford that i am a senior and am isolating i feel like i failed myself and my group i was attending alchohol and my metabolism doesnt work with ED so i have been in groups all my life , senior years are...
  • cd0001

Spouse in rehab

After several years of heavy drinking, my husband finally agreed to go rehab and admitted today. I am sick with worry & hate that he is not allowed any contact the first 5 days. Curious, if anyone else can tell me what to expect? It's going to be a long 30 days but I know it is for the best. I have my own issues with alcohol but I have decided to quit. Today was day 1....
  • herk444

5 Days Sober!

I am 34 years old. Bourbon Whiskey is my drug of choice. My alcoholic journey started around 10 years ago. I drank in college from time to time, but it was never anything serious. When I got my first job out of college in 2006 I bought a pint of Jim Beam. That was the greatest relief of stress I had ever experienced! The first year I gradually esculated to where I was binge drinking only on...
  • Well, its now three weeks since I decided my alcoholic wife was only part of my problem and I very quietly and calmly told myself I dont drink anymore. So far its been fairly plain sailing. No terrible craving and Ive even cooked with wine three times and not been tempted. Alright, after pouring the marinade on some beef I did smell it, and it made the inside of my cheeks water, but it only...
  • Ms_jiggles

Just venting

As some of y'all know the past 8 months have been filled with heartache. Today is the last day that I saw my mama a year ago. I had to drive 6 hours to take care of her while my stepdad was out of town. We sat on the back porch talking and laughing. If I only knew that that was the last time I was going to hug her goodbye when I left, I would have held her a little big longer. I feel so selfish...
  • I dropped off this forum about 9 months ago when I gave up trying to quit drinking. I can't win the battle in my head. I DON'T WANT TO DRINK, but I do want to drink. The craving and urge gets so strong that I lose all control and can't think straight. You know how when you drink, you lose self-control and make bad decisions ... now I get that way when those urges come on. 23 hours a day, I don't...
  • Daisy

Pulling myself together

I will not drink today
  • on a new med been down longer than i realized and months have passed i made a decision that was very costly owned a place rented it out and rented an apartment lost money lost time health and friends after my brother passed away made bad decisions got super isolated and depressed these things plus renewing relationship with drinking sister contributed to my starting to self medicate again not...
  • Is there some kind of science behind this?What's on Your Gratitude List?