Trigeminal Neuralgia Support Group

Trigeminal neuralgia, or Tic Douloureux, is a neuropathic disorder of the trigeminal nerve that causes episodes of intense pain in the eyes, lips, nose, scalp, forehead, and jaw. Trigeminal neuralgia is considered by many to be among the most painful of conditions.

0 Online
0 Online
  • LilMsSunshine

Hi

I just joined this site. A few months ago I was hit in the face pretty bad. A month after I began to have terrible shooting pains in my face. Went to the ER the doctor said it was nerve pain and prescribed neurontin. It was working but not so much now. I only found out about TN by googling my symptoms, and I have all of them (1 & 2), so I'm certain it's what it is. I can't see a neurologist until...
  • kdickerson29

MVD Surgery

I am scheduled for MVD surgery in a week but I have been reading post-op comments across several websites about post-recovery issues. Can anyone share their experiences? I would be so grateful. I am not feeling as confident as I was previously. It seems there are a number of lingering issues and hence, trade-offs. The upshot is that one really compromises their quality of life. What can I expect?...
  • evadecember

Acupuncture

I don't even know why I'm typing a post, I never get any replys!! I'm going to post anyway. So my first appointment for acupuncture is Tuesday 9/6/16. I'm a little scared of getting poked with the needles. Don't know why, I guess it's cause my face will be getting poked with needles!! I really wish I can ask someone with TN if they've ever had their TN treated with acupuncture, or if they've...
  • evadecember

Anybody out there

What kind of support is this? Nobody is online, no one ever replies to posts. This isn't a support group at all!!!!
  • evadecember

Acupuncture

So my husband convinced me to try acupuncture? He seems to think this will help so much that I won't have to take my meds anymore! I'm not as hopeful as my husband but I guess it can't hurt to try it. My neurologist gave me the okay so I guess I'll try it. Has anyone ever tried acupuncture for TN?
  • lennonforever

TGN - MRI is negative

I diagnosed myself with TGN. MRI shows nothing, but I was told it didn't view base of my neck. My painmis gnawing, not sharp. I was given Tegretol, with much relief. What do you all think about this? Thank you in advance.
  • NeuroNerd

New to the Forum

Hello, all. I've been dealing with TN for the last 7 years or so. My mother also has it (for almost 40 years), but she and I were only diagnosed about 3 years ago. Up until then, neither of us had heard of TN and just called it "facial pain." Growing up, a lot of people thought my moother was just over-dramatic or sensitive. Now that we're both diagnosed, we've tried looking for reasons and...
  • Hi ...14 months after my MVD surgery, my HFS returned. It took me about a month to fully recover. I lost my hearing due to the surgery also. Has anyone had a 2nd mvd done before? if so, how was the outcome and where did you go and the surgeon? Thanks.
  • madeleine5

Advice, please

Please bear with me, but I really would like answers to my insecurities regarding TN. Brief background: I was diagnosed with TN a few months ago, but I believe I had my first attack nearly 30 years ago, starting in my left hand jaw. I often had what I thought were migraines lasting for a few days with pain on one side as if someone had slapped me. I joked that if only I could be slapped on the...
  • I'm freaking out. I was just diagnosed over the weekend. Give Tegatrol. It's not working at all. And now ...I'm having a panic attack and can't stop crying. My pain is 3 times worse then it was. It's radiated back and bottom of the right side of my head now not just the top and face part. I feel weak... dizzy... Somethings going on ... I'm at the ER. But I can't stop crying because I can't think...
  • If you had an MRI and it found nothing but you have TN with migraines, seizures, burning facial-eye-jaw pain. There is a special MRI that I had done after my first MRI showed no problem. I went to John's Hopkins Neurological Center in Baltimore MD and Dr. Lim did a special MRI and found two blood vessels that collapsed on my Trigeminal Nerve. I had a microvascular decompression surgery procedure...
  • TonyB

Recovering from MVD

Hello folks,I am writing this because it has been a difficult recovery after Micro-vascular Decompression (MVD) surgery. My name is Anthony and I developed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) symptoms about 2 and half years ago. My wife is convinced it may have been related to a minor traffic accident. However, my neurosurgeon stated that sometimes it could be birth defect that gets worse with age....
  • GraceinMotion

Theories on how you got TN

Anybody know or have a theory on how they got TN? In my case it seems to have started after extensive dental surgery. My symptoms that I am now stuck with are horrible burning/stinging pain in the roots of my teeth, cheek pain, neck pain and headaches. Going to the dentist flares it up even during a routine cleaning, dental shots definitely make matters worse once it wears off and other times...
  • littlemart

How many here have MS?

My neuro thinks I have a mild case of TN. I've had those sharp shooting pains thru my temples, under eyes, cheeks etc for years. Seems to come with my MS. It's not the "I wish I could die" type of pains and they are short-lived and sporadic. But those pains in the temple and head are scary. I recently went thru a round of terrible teeth and mouth pain. I figured it was my periodontal...
  • sarahhammond

New to TN - question!

Hi all,I am new here! After months of what felt like tootchache (and numerous visits to the dentist who could not find any problems) my Dr has diagnosed TN. This was due to my symptoms:Pain in jaw, cheek area, eye/head.Shooting/stabbings pains, unbearableUnable to eat/brush teeth/lie down without painConstant dull ache in right side of face that no pain killer helpsDr prescribed carbarmazepine...