Stroke Support Group

A stroke is an acute neurologic injury where the blood supply to a part of the brain is interrupted, either by a clot in the artery or if the artery bursts. The brain perfused by that artery no longer receiving oxygen carried by the blood and dying with cessation of function from that part of the brain.

0 Online
  • Suez123

Stroke at young age

So my fiance had a stroke only 1 week ago at age 47!... tonight is his 1st night home and I am finding myself unable to sleep worried something will happen.... I have a duvet on the floor as I can't sleep and don't want to wake him. His memory isn great which seems to be the biggest issue (along with some issues with his leg)... its very difficult to watch someone who was once so independent &...
  • okiislandgurl

KUMC Occupational Therapy Student

To my new friends in the DailyStrength Stroke Support Group,I am a 2nd year student in the University of Kansas Medical Center's Master's of Occupational Therapy Program.  As of right now, we are doing a semester long project where we are following a consumer here in Kansas who has had a stroke.  Part of this assignment, we are asked to join an online support group forum to find out those...
  • Jmen

My best friend

My friend had a stroke caused by brain cancer(that she is still fighting)almost 3 years ago.She's not able to walk though has been doing physical therapy when she can and has all of her mental facilities. She's frustrated when she can't do things on her own but refuses help in any way. Other than hosptal visits she doesn't leave the house and sits in a recliner all day feeling horrible. We want...
  • Gigi123

TIA?

Facial drooping started 4 days ago. Have had ct both with and without contrast as well as MRI and blood work. Everything looked good on all tests but I was diagnosed with TIA. I'm not convinced because only face is involved, forehead is affected and tia symptoms should not last this long. Could I have been misdiagnosed?
  • LABFNP

New Brain Bleed and Stroke

I had a sudden onset brainstem bleed and stroke at the end of June 2017.  I suffered from left sided numbness, double vision, and hearing loss.  Ive been going to physical therapy ( now released), eye therapy ( now have my driving ability back) and am improving very well.  I am back at work.  I have yet to see the Neurologist since being discharged from the hospital since they keep...
  • Phoebesfriend

Bringing my husband home.

I have been here at DS since my husbands first stroke over 6 years ago. He's had 2 more and now he's paralyzed from the neck down.At first I thought I would let him be placed in a long term bed in a nursing home when he's released from rehab. But now I know in my heart I can't let that happen. He's only 68 and I refuse to let him feel I've abandoned him.I'm going to bring him home and rent a...
  • lancercleo

Looking for ways to support from far away

Hi there, everyone. I'm new to DS, hoping to get some ideas and different perspectives here. My Dad endured a terrible stroke a few years ago, and he's had a few more since then. We live in different cities and so I am not his primary caregiver. He has all of the medical and financial support he needs. I am trying to figure out how to best comfort him from far away and only being able to visit a...
  • LTL

Just joined, hello.

I am five years out from a subarachnoid hemorrhage at age 44 that has left me with panic attacks, depression, migraines, visual or optical illusions (rapid flashing of lights and colors in my eyes 24/7) and emotional swinging between anger and extreme sadness.  I have problems with overstimulation to the point where its very difficult to be out in public longer than about 2 hours.  I find...
  • Wayne

Confused ,bewildered

had a stroke July 21,2016 .. Since then I can't understand how one second I'm flying in a helicopter to a hospital and the very next day I'm sent home ??? Gave me a bloodclot busting drug and within 3 hours I'm completely normal again . Only thing is I'm a trucker of close to 25 years and now the DOT won't let me do my job . Totally understand but WTF am I supposed to do now ?
  • walrus

“one size fits all”

It’s been four years yesterday, February 22, 2013 since my first stroke and I am no closer to knowing exactly what I had. Was it a stroke, a mini stroke or a tiny stroke? Yes, there is a difference but I still can’t determine which I had. The bumbling doctors (two) that I had since, didn’t seem to know or care. They were more concerned with the “one size fits all” type of “western...
  • barnowl1110

My dad's stroke 5 days before my wedding.

My father had a stroke last month. It was just 5 days before my wedding. It was so severe it almost killed him and the only reason he is even here is because his co-workers recognized the signs. My father has always been a superhero to me. He was always larger than life. A natural athlete who regularly exercised well into his fifties. A police officer for almost 30 years. Charismatic in a way...
  • melbsman

Pons Brain Stem Stroke

My 73 yo mother had a hemorrhagic stroke in the pons/brain stem area about 2 weeks ago. She is still currently in ICU. She has weakness on her left side but is quite strong on her right side and mentally she is all there. Unfortunately she is still on breathing pressure support which is the only thing holding her there. We are hoping that as swelling continually goes down that she regains further...
  • deleted_user

Thanx for my warm welcome

THanx for my very warm welcome itll be nice to get to know all of you I have acquired brain injury from a coma and enchephalitis but have frontal and parietal lobe damage hope to meet you all soon thanx jane
  • BigSarge29420

New Survivor

Hey, y'all. Don't try to adjust you monitor or keyboard. I'm Southern as the day is long and tend to type the way I speak.I suffered a massive stroke on December 15, 2016, while I was work and driving a forklift. Thanks to a truck driver for Estes Express, 911 was contacted and EMS arrived within minutes. I was dang lucky enough to get the TPA shot in less than an hour after the stroke began. So...
  • BrokenHeartedMom

Stroke from trauma

My son was killed in a tragic car accident on October 18th, on Nov. 2nd I had a small stroke.  There was no medical findings to support me having a stroke.  I have fully recovered, they have me on Lipitor which i don't want to stay on.  I am also on aspirin 80mg.  I am still in a profound state of grief over the death of my 18 year old son. I am scared it will happen again.  Anyone else had...