Shingles Support Group

Herpes zoster, colloquially known as shingles, is the reactivation of varicella zoster virus, leading to a crop of painful blisters over the area of a dermatome. It occurs very rarely in children and adults, but its incidence is high in the elderly (over 60), as well as in any age group of immunocompromised patients.

1 Online
1 Online
  • Hi there, I am new to this group. I have self diagnosed myself with shingles...because I have all the classic signs. My question is " do you have to get prescription for anti-viral drugs, or if I let it be, will it go away on it'so own?Any answers you can give me would be greatly Appreciated!!Thanks
  • raleanne

What should I watch for.

Just diagnosed a few days ago . I have shingles on my forehead , my scalp , my eye , my nose . bumps behind my ears , and in front but not sure that is shingles or swollen from something else. The pain is excrutiating . I am devastated. I don't have time for this crap . Is this true it can last for months? My eye is closed shut every morning .I am on valtrex and eye drops ... is there anything...
  • juliettagirl

eternal phn

Helo Friends,I have posted here since my phn in April 2012.I am still suffering. My head is still numb and feels like it is ina paper shredder.Are there sufferers out there in pain for this long a duration ormore?I am beginning to think I will never feel normal again and I will have to live this way until I die. I am now 67.Can anyone on this list share their long-terme experiences. Has it gotten...
  • schmidt131

PHN

Who of you have PHN? I'd love to start a discussion about how each of us cope. Maybe each of us could share a tip or trick that helps to ease the pain, even if temporary. I had face shingles in August 2011. PHN has been my constant challenge ever since.
  • WarriorGal

? Itchy Rash?

71-y-o -- had chickn pox. Canno ttake Shun gle svaccine causeof RA and immune supressant drugs for RA.I now have a MOSTLY FLAT red itchy rash on my right side mid section. NO BLISTERS.Could it be Shingles? Should I see a doctor?
  • juliettagirl

new method

i agree. the interface is awful. complaining will not do any good...
  • marytcontrary

"Cure"

My friend had shingles and is over them in about 2 weeks because she believes, is because her hubby put alcohol and chigger medicine on the rash. She also had the antivirus pills. There is only a bit on numbness on her hip where she had them.Can they have found something that can help? I don't know but she is well and happy with no pain or side effects!!!!!It really was shingles--2 doctors...
  • nic40

Electric shock feelings

Hello, I am very stressed and concerned about some weird feelings I am getting 2nd week into shingles on abdomen. I took the anti virals and rash is gone, but still getting pain on and off and electric shock feelings in abdomen and upper chest area. Is this normal and will it just eventually go away? Please very worried. Thank you
  • jimg2

Getting better

I am a 75 year old male. I have had shingles for about 8 weeks. I was out of town when I first got it and didnt know what it was. On day 3 or 4, I went to emergency care and got a prescription for Valtrex, I hoped it would be over in 2 weeks, it wasnt , then I hoped it would be over in a month, it wasnt. At first I took 1 Advil a day for pain. My back was quite painful at first with lots of...
  • cv51

Better to rest or be active with shingles?

I was diagnosed 5 days ago. I'm on antiviral med and have rashes on my leg and lower back. My pain is moderate so I'm only taking OTC painkillers as needed. Sometimes I feel tired or like I have the flu but other than that and the pain, I am okay. Normally I'm an active athletic person (walk marathons). I'd prefer to stay active, walking, gardening, etc, but not sure if it is the right thing...
  • cv51

Now getting ear pain too

My shingles was diagnosed 6 days ago and I was put on an antiviral med. It started with extreme pain up and down the inside of my right leg, tingling, and feeling of tightness in the calf area. Progressed to rash on lower right back with pain like a severe sunburn. Then a rash came out on my inner right leg. Now I'm getting pain in my right ear and a feeling of numbness in right jaw. Will try...
  • She had been working in her yard and thought it was bug bites. On her stomach and right hip. No, shingles. Now the pain is intense. Her doctor said it would be a week. BS! I told her hubby to expect the next 3 weeks He said her moods have changed. He is in for a bumpy ride.
  • I have had shingles for almost a year now; staring with the headache, broadening out to the rash, entering into left eyes, and horrendous pain. am a 61 year old male who has other health problems but never saw this coming.Have tried neurotin, gabapentin, neurotryptaline, amatriptylene, lycodaine patches, and finally oxycodone which helps a bit but is a double edged sword as it also knocks me out...
  • amyall

Why did I get this??

I'm 46 and in good health. I hardly ever get sick so I assume my immune system is pretty good. I'm always under stress but haven't been any more than usual lately. Since I don't meet any of these risk factors, why did this happen? I know no one can answer that but it seems like there are others in my same situation so I'm really just looking for assurance!
  • deleted_user

over 7 wks - still numb

Hello group,I'm 44 and woke up with a rash over 7 weeks ago on my face. It was shingles and I was put on valtrex for 2 weeks. (I started the valtrex right away)Unfortunately, long after the shingles is gone, I still have numbness on the right side of my face (upper lip area, side of nose, and cheek).Could this be permanent? It doesn't seem to be improving. Also, there is still some slight...