Seasonal Affective Disorder Support Group

Seasonal affective disorder, also known as S.A.D., winter depression or the winter blues is an affective, or mood, disorder. Most SAD sufferers experience normal mental health throughout most of the year, but experience depressive symptoms in the winter or summer. The condition in the summer is often referred to as Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder. Seasonal mood variations are believed to be related to light. An argument for this view is the effectiveness of bright light therapy. SAD is measurably present at latitudes in the Arctic region, such as Finland where the rate of SAD is 9.5% Cloud cover may contribute to the negative effects of SAD. SAD can be a serious disorder and may require hospitalization. There is also potential risk of...

0 Online
0 Online
  • I live in Alaska & any Alaskan knows when August approaches that summer is coming to an end & winter is not far behind. Also...our state flower the fireweed when it blooms all the way to the top...it means there's only 6 more weeks of summer left. So when I see the fireweed shooting up to the top...I start to get anxious & start dreading the oncoming winter. I want to be proactive about setting...
  • I did not leave ds for facebook. You have to give your full name to do it on facebook. Not me!So, are there any others beginning to feel some strength inside (which I never feel in the winter). I feel more solid, not so fragmented.Glory be the sunshine and warm temps we are getting. Is there anyone else still here?
  • This is only one small tip of the iceberg on vitamin D....it can really help with SADhttp://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-18354/5-reasons-vitamin-d-is-even-more-important-than-you-think.htmlhttps://www.facebook.com/notes/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad-winter-depression-winter-blues/info-on-how-to-test-for-vitamin-d-and-what-the-levels-mean/10152969739407086I don't know if you can get to that one if...
  • Hi. I am new to the group. I have SAD along with bipolar disorder.SAD makes a mess out of my mood disorder. It's like I have 2 different types of depression- one from the bipolar disorder and one from SAD! To me, the two types of depression "feel" different. I use a 10,000 lux desk lamp first thing when I wake up. If my "dose" or timed minutes are too low for too many days, I become...
  • jessicahendriks

Interview

I am looking for someone to interview someone who has been diagnosed with SAD for an article for my college's newspaper, preferably someone who lives in Canada. I'm having a really hard time finding someone. I thought I'd try here. Message me if interested.
  • Lets think happy thoughts.My house has had added insulation and I will be warm this winter. I have a propane fireplace...and I am hoping this winter will be COZY...I am not going to get depressed and stuff myself with carbs...I will be cozy. Think golden glow...even if by artificial means.What is one good thing you have planned for the winter?
  • Razor91

Summer?

I was wondering if you can have seasonal affective disorder but in Summer, I'm usually okay during winter, but this year I can't get out of this depression, I don't know if it's my normal depression or something more, either way I'm very confused.
  • blueviolet725

more resources

81 mental health resources...http://greatist.com/grow/resources-when-you-can-not-afford-therapy?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=opengraph&utm_campaign=resources-when-you-can-not-afford-therapy&sr_share=facebook
  • while we are in late spring...and days are still long...we should begin an action plan for next winter.I am speaking to the people in the northern hemisphere.last year I did not have one. I moved, my husband got Lyme and Erlichea and then it blew out his diabetes, as he got better by Christmas, mom hurt her leg and was on bedrest for 6 weeks...and then it was my worst time of year in feb.I hope...
  • SaddestEyes

Ugh

I'm feeling absolutely horrible. Nothing seems to be working. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it through the entire winter.
  • willowdream

New!!

I hadn't realised that this was an actual thing until a friend from my church told me.I do feel so down during the winter months, everything seems to affect me more and makes me feel worse than they would during the summer. I've heard of winter blues but thought it was just a saying. I have always disliked winter, I hate the cold and the darkness and gloom that comes with winter. It makes me feel...
  • well, if we live in the northern hemisphere, it is the beginning of freedom time for us. if we are in Australia or New Zealand, etc...it is the start of the dark ages. this page is really not very active...but I just wanted to share that I made it through...moving, caretaking etc have had me so busy, I had no choice. I think vitamin D really helped too. I was not consistant (sp) on my...
  • Hello,I'm a fellow sufferer but also a Product Designer currently working on improving light therapy for SAD. To be able to do this I really need input from people who've used light therapy. If you could fill out this questionnaire, I'd greatly appreciate it:https://qtrial2015az1.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_dcmXglTw9xKHEW1Many thanks,Sara
  • Does anyone here have eye implants? I had cataract surgery 4 years ago, and opted to have implants put in so I didn't need to wear eye glasses anymore (I still use readers) I have noticed my SAD has been worse since then. I found an article online stating that these implants may block sunlight to the retinas. Has anyone else encountered this?
  • I often feel unmotivated in my studies. I started suffering from depression several years ago and it affects my studies greatly. I find my self constantly searching for motivational youtube videos and quotes to help me each day. Since we all are dealing with one issue or another let us help motivate each other. Please feel free to leave a motivational quote that may inspire one work hard to...