Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) Support Group

Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) an ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile, and defiant behavior toward authority figures that goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. When a child cannot seem to control his anger or frustration, even over what seems to be trivial or simple to others, the child will often react in violent or negative ways to his own feelings.

0 Online
0 Online
  • We have 2 children, a 9 yo son and 12 yo daughter. We have no issues with our daughter. Our son has always been strong willed, but as he has grown older he has become more and more defiant, violent, aggressive and difficult. His behavior at home is extremely stressful for the whole family. I was so happy to find this online support group and have been reading some of the discussions and...
  • My soon to be 12 yrs old son was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD/ODD at age 4. He also strugles mightily with anxiety and some learning disabilities. Over the past ~2 yrs dealing with his behavior problems has begun to take its toll on my marriage. My wife and I have struggled to get along with each other and I know a lot of it is due to the daily struggles with our son. I would to assume that this...
  • George0421

Tough morning

Hi all. I'm new here. I have an 11yo daughter that we adopted from the Foster Care System. She has ADHD, Bipolar and terrible anxiety. We are concerned that she is ODD. Within the past two weeks she has: threatened my wife, thrown stuff at both of us, hit another kid at church in the head, stolen stuff from other kids, her dance studio, stolen the car keys and food from church, and has just...
  • Hello, I am the mom of an 8 year old little boy. I have taken advantage of the passfunding available in my county for the help with residential tx. The bad thing is that is only covers 51 days. The doctors don't know if this will be enough time to truely help him to the extent he needs it.He has very violent outburst and is growing like a weed. The cost for the tx center is 80,000 per year. This...
  • Nat1

My daughter

I have a 6 year old daughter who has recently been diagnosed with odd,adhd and attachment disorder. The odd is the biggest issue at the moment, I have been told by the professionals that I'm not consistent with the boundary setting with her. Could somebody given me on how to do this?
  • My daughter goes between her dad and I's homes. Both homes are different with different parenting styles, discipline, I'm married with a stepson and her dad has a live in girlfriend. Financials are different too so she gets alot at her dads. Its making the already difficult challenges of her having ODD even worse. I have no control over her dads choices and although we try doing similar...
  • The police were called yesterday by my husband, sons dad to, because we literally could not deal with him again. We had been chasing him and holding him down for over an hour trying to get him to stop trying to hurt his 12 yr old sister. He does this all the time. It completely wears us out and my husband who also has odd starts getting worked up and I have to stop him from hurting son...
  • Thank God there is a support forum for ODD. I have lived with my daughter and her three children for three years now. The youngest is 11 years old and has ODD, also ADHD which he is taking Concerta for. I always thought my daughter was just lacking in the discipline area, and letting him get away with this bad behavior. After researching just now, everything I have read about this disorder...
  • My son is 7 yo. and was diagnosed two years ago with ODD (We've been dealing with this since he was 2 1/2). He is severely oppositional and defiant (he also has ADHD). In the last year, he has become difficult to discipline. He refuses to stand/sit in time out, will not stay in his room if sent there and if we block the door he will kick, pinch or scratch us to get out. I've come to realize that...
  • He has been in counseling for several months now & there's been zero change in his behavior. Isn't this something I can just work with on my own at home? It is exhausting walking on eggshells waiting for the tiniest little thing to upset him & him blow up with the awful temper tantrum. He's 10 and far too old for this behavior. He has blow ups over my vocabulary choices & things truly that...
  • deedeebee

gene testing for meds?

Has anyone tried genetic testing for medications? My son has been on Ritalin, Focalin, Zoloft, and Risperidone, and they all made him worse. His psychiatrist recommended a genetic test to find medications that will work for him. The results came back today. It categorizes medications into three columns: use as directed, moderate gene-drug interaction, and significant gene-drug interaction. The...
  • My odd son, says everyday that he hates school and isn't going. I stay calm and firm and tell him he has to go. How do any of you handle this situation? My son is only 9.
  • I see a lot of posts about boys but I am hoping to connect with other moms struggling with tween girls that struggle with ODD.
  • steveq2016

MHFTR gene??

I was talking with a friend who after we talked for a bit about kids, sounded like her son was just like my son is now, ODD and out of control.She said that the change for her son was a doctor had her get a test for the MHFTR gene defect, and he had it. The doctor put him on a new diet and supplements, and now her son is in college and doing great.My son has been on Concerta, Abilify, ritalin,...
  • kbucket79

Another Newbie Here

Today I realized that I need help. I've known for a long time, years in fact, that I need help with my ODD kids. But today was the first time I realized that I need help for me. My strength and willingness to keep trying has run dry. It occurred to me that there are support groups for everything so there had to be one for this and I am so grateful.As I read the first few messages tears came to my...