GERD & Heartburn Support Group

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is defined as chronic symptoms or mucosal damage produced by the abnormal reflux of gastric contents into the esophagus. This is commonly due to transient or permanent changes in the barrier between the esophagus and the stomach. If you are afflicted with GERD or heartburn, join the group and find support.

0 Online
  • leelee

GERD and EOE

Have anyone with GERD later get EOE. My stomach lining stay inflam like gastritis as my GI puts it with ulcers and recently had my esophagus dilated after the finding of a lot of inflammation on my esophagus. A biopsy was done and came back positive for eosinophilia. Have anyone else had this issues as my GI don't want to diagnose me with EOS but eosinophilia resulting from the acid from my GERD....
  • Willyt

Linx procedure

i just had Hiatial Hernia surgery and the Linx procedure yesterday.  (11-17-16).  
  • adlk1234

Esophageal Manometry test

Has anyone had this test done ? I am scheduled to have one prior to being scheduled for a Nissen fundoplication. I am told it can be very uncomfortable, even painful. I would like to have some honest opinions on this if you've had it done and just exactly how bad it is. Thank you.
  • e4now

question

does anyone else have issues with the esophegeal sphincter?
  • I just joined this group the other day and posted as well, however I wanted to inquire if anyone here is on Dexilant and experienced any issues/side effects. I have been taking 60mg a day every morning (30 mins before breakfast) since March and it worked like a gem and now beginning of July I started getting my GERD symptoms back along with dizziness and fatigue. Aside from Dexilant, I take...
  • ThusFar

Question about diet

I am newly diagnosed.  For a year I have had SOB and gasping in the night.  My doc decided to have the ENT scope me because part of my gasping has been caused by my throat closing at night.  The ENT found my voice box very swollen likely due to reflux.  Apparently you can have a small trickle of acid coming up without knowing it.  I do have occasional heartburn, stomach burning, and rarely...
  • Hello.  I am new to this whole support group thing.  I have had GERD, a hiatal hernia, acid reflux, esophagitis, IBS and other lovely stomach issues for a long while now (maybe 15+ years diagnosed).  Just last week I had one of the worst flair ups I have ever had!  I couldn't keep anything down; my Zofran wasn’t working at all.  My potassium depleted so bad I had to go to the ER to get...
  • brattsr2cute

A permanent solution

Hi all,My name is Brittany and I'm 24 years old. I have been dealing with GERD since I can remember. I had reflux as an infant and all through my childhood and into my adult life. I have been on every medicaion you can think of. I've taken every over the counter med possible and maxed out prescription meds. I am currently taking Omeprazole 40 mg 3x a day. I have tried all the diets and avoided...
  • wannasing

Elevated Bed-head and Back pain

I just spent my first night sleeping with an elevated bed-head (6 inches). It really stopped the reflux, but my back was achy all over in the morning. I mostly sleep on my side, but even sleeping on my back I could feel pulling. Is anyone else doing this, and how do you prevent back strain?
  • Tonia73

What medicines do you all take for GERD?

HELLO EVERYONE, MY NAME IS TONIA AND I HAVE A SON WHO HAS A VERY RARE DISEASE CALLED ACHALASIA. HE WAS DIGNOSED AT AGE 12 AND IS NOW ALMOST 24. HE HAS HAD 2 MAJOR SURGERIES FOR THIS SURGERY OF THE ESOPHAGUS. HE SUFFERS NOW WITH SEVERE ACID REFLUX DUE TO HIS STOMACH BEING OPENED ALL THE TIME TO THE ESOPAGUS. HE SUFFERS WITH EXTREME ESOPHAGEAL SPASMS THAT NOT EVEN THE STRONGEST PAIN MEDS HAVE...
  • Community Leaderacuriousfish

Apple Cider Vinegar working

Just wanted to put this up. I've had acid reflux for a long time. 20 or so years ago when I got stressed I'd start throwing up a clear liquid. Over the past few years it became more like the standard heartburn, it would wake me up at night, I'd wake up with acid in my mouth. I tried to avoid certain foods but after a while I'd get it anyway. Maybe it was weight gain, age, other meds, don't know.I...
  • DDD88

How to wean off Lanzoprazole

Hi , I really would appreciate anyone's help... So I assume I was diagnosed with Gerd back in the days when I was 18. So for 10 years I have had it and got heartburn once in a while. A few years I had to be on PPIs for a few months and I easily was off of it. TO be honest I didn't even pay attention to anythning and stopped when I got better.So now I am on Lanzoprazole for the past year or so, I...
  • sara23

New

Hello everyone! My name is Sarah and I'm 19. I've been dealing with gerd symptoms for about 3 months maybe 4 and I wasn't sure what I had until I went to the doctors and was diagnosed with it. The burning pain in my stomach/esophagus and the nausea I just couldn't take anymore. I was starting to feel like everything I ate was making me sick and the pain so terrible I would barely eat which led to...
  • sara23

Beverages ?

Does anyone know of any good tea ? That's gerd friendly or other beverages I could try ? I've been only drinking water. Any suggestions would help. Thanks! 
  • deleted_user

Voice problems with GERD

My GERD affects my voice because the acid has been making its way up into my esophagus and burning it. My voice becomes very hoarse at times especially in the mornings, sometimes I lose my voice altogether. It is very stressful. I am trying to modify my diet to help this problem but its not easy knowing what to eat and what not to eat. Does anyone else have the "voice" problem?