GERD & Heartburn Support Group

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is defined as chronic symptoms or mucosal damage produced by the abnormal reflux of gastric contents into the esophagus. This is commonly due to transient or permanent changes in the barrier between the esophagus and the stomach. If you are afflicted with GERD or heartburn, join the group and find support.

0 Online
0 Online
  • A week ago all of a sudden my esophagus just seemed to swell up. For the first 2-3 days I was just have a hard time swallowing and choking if something was too big. by day 4 I could not swallow anything but liquid. I went to the ER. They did a barium swallow test which showed nothing but a delay in my swallowing. No physical blockage, which I guess, is good. They sent me home and told me to take...
  • Squarley

Chest pain

Chest pain in chest and back and esophagus hurt a lot with my as acid reflux and Gerd anybody else experience that and sometimes it goes to my back.
  • Hello everyone,I have been suffering with dizziness and other symptoms for the last 4 months. It has been horrendous, and Ive written in other forums trying to find out why why why because I am so so so ill. I have been admitted to hospital several times, gone to ear doc, neurologists you name it, to get well--- nowhere. Tests come back always fine.One of the other symptoms was problems breathing...
  • nymima

Pepcid

I was just prescribed Pepcid 40 mg today for acid reflux. Is Pepcid considered a PPI? I know there is some kind of discussion about these meds in reference to kidney disease, esophageal cancer and even dementia. I don't know what to do now.
  • Just wanted to put this up. I've had acid reflux for a long time. 20 or so years ago when I got stressed I'd start throwing up a clear liquid. Over the past few years it became more like the standard heartburn, it would wake me up at night, I'd wake up with acid in my mouth. I tried to avoid certain foods but after a while I'd get it anyway. Maybe it was weight gain, age, other meds, don't know.I...
  • sahaj

why every morning...

I never feel fresh on waking up in the morning.I always wake up with heart burn and burning throat.I throw up on drinking water,start feeling dizzy and sleep again.
  • I've had major heart burn the last week. It's hard to get around. I take tums now. Any advice? Please? Thank you.
  • Ok so I've been taking a PPI for years now. I've tried going off them and I've been to two GI doctors. I had a scope dune and all that. In what I thought was unrelated I made another appointment with my general doc for various weird symptoms such as heart feels like it skips a beat and itchy skin and eczema flare. I thought it was all just anxiety and allergies getting worse due to stress.Welli...
  • Hello everyone! New here. I have recently stopped PPIs, about 3 weeks ago. (I may have had two nexium in last 3 weeks.) I was on them for 4+ years. I started a very low carb diet nearly 3 months ago as I can't handle carbs any longer. I was on different PPIs at different times. Lanzo, ome, nexium being the last. I have been experiencing some burning sensations, not too bad, but lots of dizziness,...
  • Well not really new, it's been almost 2 years, it started at the same time that I started having allergy issues (Never had them before) but the doctors told me it was acid reflux, and gave me OTC stuff to try. It helped for the first set (Which was a 14 day trial, that you do every 2 or 3 months) but that was the only time it helped.I admit I was really bad at drinking soda's but have since...
  • Several times I have awoken with a strong vomit taste n my mouth and eventually start to throw up pure stomach acid....usually if I can drink some milk it will subside and I will be fine...last week though I woke up to ththis happening, and with every intake of breathe my chest was tight and I was wheezing. To make a long story short I ended up n the er where they did nothing....followed up...
  • joneszy93

Endoscopy scheduled

I called and scheduled my endoscopy. Its going to be on Monday the 29 at 10 in the morning. I'm kind of nervous, but I'm going to have my boyfriend with me so I think that'll help calm my nerves a bit. At this point I just wanna get it done and figue out what's going on and get it done. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on what's going on what the results are.
  • kklim

Hi All.Had food stuck at bottom of esophagus several times in past six months. Managed to regurgitate the food. Had endoscopy done yesterday and doc says there's inflammation in the lower third of my esophagus. Could be due to my having acidic saliva (I have little saliva due to radiation treatment I had 21 years ago). Was prescribed omeprazole (trade names: Prilosec, Zegerid).Other than taking...
  • docjjosh77

GERD or Reflux Help

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GRED) is a chronic digestive disease. The esophagus is about 8 inches long and connects the throat (pharynx), to the stomach. The esophagus contains two sphincters (valves). The upper esophageal sphincter are under conscious control. The lower esophageal sphincter is controlled by the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system. Reflux occurs, when gastric...
  • vickicrouch2

My first Endo!

Well I did it!! I finally did it! I was terrified of the procedure so kept putting if off. I finally forced myself to go even though I thought for sure I was going to run out of the building. I told everyone including the front office receptionist. lol that I was already having a panic attack over just being there. They took me back to "fill out paper work" lol and had me change into a gown where...