Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Support Group

Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) describes a spectrum of permanent and often devastating birth-defect syndromes caused when the pregnant mother consumes alcohol. The main effect of fetal alcohol exposure is brain damage, which can be caused during any trimester, because the fetus's brain continues to develop throughout the entire pregnancy.

0 Online
  • deleted_user

Does my son have FAE?

I am a mother to a 9 year old boy who has sensory processing disorder. He was diagnosed at about 2 years old. I thought all along that this was the cause of his coping difficulties and learning problems. He has an IEP for auditory processing problems, expressive speech and learning difficulities. He has ADD but does not have any hyperactive traits and is actually every well behaved. He had...
  • deleted_user

my wife has fas and is having sex with others

Hello, i'm won dering if anyone else has this problem. I;m married to a girl diagnosed with fas. My biggest trial at the moment is dealing with her need for sexual promiscuity. It has grown over time progressing from internet affairs to now an acvtual boyfriend whom she is having sex with. This is a very hard issue for me to accept but I'm doing my best. Iknow she can;t help it. is anyone else...
  • red47640

New Here

I'm new to this group, and I'm not even sure I fit the criteria for FASD or ARND (yes, I've done my research). My mom drank for the first 5-6 or so weeks of her pregnancy with me; like a lot of women, she says she didn't know she was pregnant. I don't know how much or how frequently she drank. I was premature by almost a month. As a kid I was pretty disruprive and angry, although there may have...
  • deleted_user

how to deal with fas

i am a person dealing with fetal alcohol sydrom an just want to know am not alone dealing with it day to day
  • chillipepper

Chronic Lying

We have taken on our 8 year old Nephew, but we are an honest family. His chronic lying is driving me insane. What should I do?
  • deleted_user

New, concerned about neice and nephew

Hello, not sure where to begin. There is a very long story to tell. I think I will start with a recent event.My brother in law stopped by my hubby's work the other day with his two kids. A 13 month old and a seven year old. One of hubby's co-workers saw the kids and became alarmed.Once they were gone, she pulled up the posters for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and they were the spitting image of the...
  • rubyjosiemom

Fetal alcohol and growth delays

Hi there,We adopted my daughter from Russia in 2004 when she was 15 months old. While we don't know with 100 percent certainty, it appears that she may have some fetal alcohol related issues. One of her issues is that she is very short for her age. She has always been at the lower end of the growth curve, but recently has been going through puberty and while her body is changing rapidly, her...
  • deleted_user

FW: Soliciting comments to include FASD in the DSM

From Teresa Kellerman.......... In a message dated 5/25/2011 4:30:27 P.M. Central Daylight Time, tkellerman@cox.net writes: NOFAS Illinois has initiated a project to submit comments to the DSM-V committee urging them to include FASD/ARND in the next revision of the DSM. I am forwarding their message to all of you. This is our last chance to have our voice heard regarding inclusion of FASD in...
  • deleted_user

Alternative therapies

Hi,I'm a student midwife in the UK and one of my assignments is based on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. I was wondering if anybody had ever tried alternative therapies to help with the symptoms of FASD and if so would you be willing to share your ideas so I can research them further. I don't need any identifying details such as names just the generic term such as massage etc.Thanks in advance for any...
  • deleted_user

Concerned for my 2 1/2 year old step daughter

Hello,I am writing in hopes that someone will be able to help me with my concerns regarding my 2 1/2 year old step daughter.I fear that she may be an FAS case or possibly FASD, but not sure. Her mother had drank heavily the whole pregnancy, amongst other things. Now my boyfriend and I have my step-daughter frequently for visits anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks long depending on the convenience of...
  • My husband says a lot of confusing things. Yesterday he was wondering where the "drum-legs" were on the chicken I roasted.Mostly his sentences are missing a lot of information that he is thinking, but does not say out loud. I usually have to ask several questions before I know what he means.He is not a child; he is 50. We just got the diagnosis. What are some tips for talking to him?
  • deleted_user

Just realized husband has FAS

Hello. I'm 57 and have been married for 21 years. I've always felt something was not quite right with him. There were a lot of red flags. I did not ignore them, but now I don't think I can take any more of this marriage. Writing here will help me with this process. When I met him he was in AA and was without a drivers license - for another 9 years! He had had 5 DWI's. Treatment for Alcohol 3...
  • deleted_user

Need help

My step-daughter is now 11.5 years old and we finally this past year got the diagnoses of slight FAS. This has presented itself as speech impediment, trouble with math, attitude problem, and trouble using the bathroom for pooping, The trouble has become that she now hides the soiled underwear for weeks and the attitude is getting worse. It is beginning to cause a huge rift between her mother...
  • deleted_user

I don't know what to do about my mother in law

My husband of 3 years was diagnosed with fetal alcohol syndrome in february of 2009. It is no news to anybody that knows his mother that she drank heavily during her pregnancy. Growing up his mother took him in repeatedly to find out what was wrong with him but when they suggested FAS she stopped bringing him. After that she never attempted to get him any help. His mother and father kicked him...
  • deleted_user

support

Hello all.my step son has FAS, and its been a long road to get him diagnosed.. His mom has no contact with him, and he lives with me and his dad.. he is 14 going to be 15 soon, and his behaviors are getting worse all the time? we have had him on meds in counseling, he has an iep at school and takes special classes to help.. We are so stressed out and in constant battle with him.. the stealing and...