Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Support Group
Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) describes a spectrum of permanent and often devastating birth-defect syndromes caused when the pregnant mother consumes alcohol. The main effect of fetal alcohol exposure is brain damage, which can be caused during any trimester, because the fetus's brain continues to develop throughout the entire pregnancy.
deleted_user
My step-daughter is now 11.5 years old and we finally this past year got the diagnoses of slight FAS. This has presented itself as speech impediment, trouble with math, attitude problem, and trouble using the bathroom for pooping, The trouble has become that she now hides the soiled underwear for weeks and the attitude is getting worse. It is beginning to cause a huge rift between her mother and I and the strain is very painful. Both physically and emotionally. We live just outside of the Toronto area in Ontario Canada and I am having trouble finding any support beyond that of family. Looking on-line I have been unable to find any kind of support groups, other than links to sites that so nothing but describe the affliction. Not sure if it's just that I'm not searching properly, or if I'm just so upset about this that I'm past the point of thinking straight. If anyone can help with links to Canadian sites, or even know of anything I can do, I would appreciate it.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
did I start to gain real functioning living skills that others get much younger. When I was younger, I, personally found that on-going cognitive-behavioral & life-skill development therapy with a psychiatrist and various community counselling programs really helped; it takes a lot of assessments to be filtered in the right direction, but I truly believe it helped me, and in turn, my family, as I learned to function better. My parents REALLY did a good job of teaching me NOT to consume alcohol or other substances, that would surely cause more problems. I hope and pray for you that you find the strength & resources you require to get you through, hang in there. Luv, Priscilla.