Diverticulitis Support Group

Diverticulitis is a common disease of the bowel, in particular the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches on the outside of the colon. Diverticulitis results if one of these diverticula becomes inflamed. Diverticulitis most often affects middle-aged and elderly persons, though it can strike younger patients as well.

0 Online
0 Online
  • JendelieO

Some info on flare-ups

Hi Folks,I was hospitalized for diverticulitis 7 years ago, but with adhering to dietary guidelines, have since only had minor problems. Then boom, suddenly a major flare up! In researching to try and find out what could have caused it, I ran across a study that concluded that taking ibuprofen or aspirin 4 or more times a week, is a risk factor for developing diverticulitis. Lo and behold, I...
  • jen345

Diverticulitis and perforated colon

A week ago I came home from a day at town in extreme pain. My husband rushed to the ER and after 10 hours (CT scan) it was diagnosed I have diverticulitis and s perforated colon. After 7 days in the hospital of high white blood cell counts, fevers, antibiotics I was sent home. I I am still feeling poorly. The dr indicated that I should not have to have surgery. I am still in pain iny side,...
  • rholmes

Recent flare up

Hello i was diagnosed with diverticulitus 11-15. Because of a low grade fever and some discomfort, i had a CT scan done today. It was diagnosed as anather diverticulitus flare up. Coul i get some help on what to eat and what not to eat. My surgeon is wanting me to go under the knife. Please comment.
  • AG68

symptoms of pre-flare up or pre-attack

It's been 14months since my last major attack....but I'm feeling poorly...anyone have any tell tale signs of an immenint attack?
  • mkd3702

New & Confused

Hello All - 03 August was the last time I was "in control". I woke up on 04 August with steadily increasing pain in my front, lower left abdomen until I was nearly doubled over in pain. No other symptoms at that point. Pain meds at the doctor and a full day of tests at the hospital brought the diagnosis of diverticulitus. I didn't know what it was, or what was going to happen next. The next...
  • markel

I NEED HELP....

I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis and have been on two kinds of antibiotics.. cipro and flagyl I just learned that It would be a good idea to be on a liquid diet which I will start tomorrow while taking the antibiotics.. My husband is very health conscious, he has been telling me the qualities of Probiotics. I have constipation more then anything and since I started the Probiotics, I...
  • Dilley

Where do I go from here?

Hello I am just out of hospital been treated for diverticulitis and abscess on colon ouch! I gave a question which I tried to ask my doctor but found myself sobbing and left. I will see her again when time makes this less upsetting. Basically after being misdiagnosed several times my appendix ruptured in turkey on holiday after that I developed a hernia and my existing diverticulosis became...
  • deleted_user

Too young?

Hi, I'm only 24yo and after 2 trips to urgent care and a trip to the er for lower, right abdominal pain - the er dr told me I have diverticulitis. I think im in the denial stage at the moment because EVERYTHING i read shows that its very rare in someone my age. I'm actually the youngest person that I can find with the condition so far on the internet. 27yo is the closest to my age that ive found....
  • jewl12

Diverticulosis

I have questions. Last year after having pain in my lower left side and back. I went to the doctor and he ordered a CT. The CT showed that I had diverticulosis but not diverticulitis and a couple of degenerative disks, I pretty much knew about the disks. I have arthritis. He also ordered a colonoscopy. It turned out fine except for the diverticulosis. After all that cleaning out and a round...
  • Learn from my mistake. If something in your gut tells you the doctor did not go all out for you and instead of looking at other avenues for a solution, GET A SECOND OPINION. Had I listened to my gut 9 years ago I could have avoided 5 major surgeries due to diverticulitis. My doctor brushed my pain off as food poisoning instead of sending me for an MRI to see what what going on in my gut....
  • I recently got out of the hospital after a 4 day stay for severe Diver infection. I was treated with IV Flagyl & Bactrum then for 10 days oraly after I got home. Was on a low residue diet for 3 weeks then started a traditional diet as per my Dr. After a week on the diet change, I began to feel more achy and bloaty in my abdomin. I put myself back onto a soft / liquid diet. I have not had...
  • getstrong

help

I was diagnosed with diverticular pockets after bieng hospitalized in june 2015. In feb 2016 i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, this after i quit eating drinking most bad things. Sinse then i have had what I call flareups which i thought wascaused by the many diabetes medicines i went on but had bad side effects. i have had about three and am having one now. these are my symptoms can someone...
  • Hi all, I'm new to this site. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in feb this year, before that I was hospitalised 4 times- each time they thought it was a gyni issue! Now we know it wasn't! I was hospitalised again a few weeks ago- worse flare up I have ever had. Pulse and blood pressure so high they thought I had a problem with my heart but it was the infection causing my pulse to go so...
  • waynejohnmunro

Diverticulosis Misconceptions

I was diagnosed with Diverticulosis 10 years ago. I have had on average 6-8 flare ups a year in my first 2 years. For those of you who have only recently been diagnosed with the disease you have my full sympathy. Some of you may only have a flare up once a year. For that i say be grateful. My only tip is that you should be very careful with the advice that you receive on forums like these. They...
  • Kittyk96

I am new to this group

Just joined and read a few of the posts, all I can say is damn, you guys have been through a lot, but it's nice to know I am not alone.I was diagnosed with "severe" diverticulitis in September 2012. The surgeon who did my colonoscopy told me to go home and think about my options, to decide if I wanted to have surgery. He also said "with what I saw when I was in there, I would not hesitate to...