Diverticulitis Support Group

Diverticulitis is a common disease of the bowel, in particular the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches on the outside of the colon. Diverticulitis results if one of these diverticula becomes inflamed. Diverticulitis most often affects middle-aged and elderly persons, though it can strike younger patients as well.

0 Online
  • CindyV

Newbie & Flight attendant

Hi there, I am a flight attendant and 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis.I think I had the first sympthoms in March, 2 heavy cramps in my stomach, but afterwards I was fine again. Then, during a layover at Jamaica severe pain at the left side of my stomach, I had to lay down for 1 day, next day everything was fine again.April 20. me and my friend went on a vacation trip to...
  • Thisiscrazy

30 days out of Hospital

Hello... Well I am 30 days out of Hospital after doing 4 days of Cipro and Flagyl Iv meds.. and 11 days of at home pill treatment... I am now on my second week with no meds and doing the no fiber diet.  I feel like I am constipated and bloated and my stomach is constantly grumbling.  has anybody else have these issues?  When should I start taking more Fiber?  I still have what I like to call...
  • Beau

Fed up.

Gee where do i start.  Been so poorly on and of.  Raised white blood cells and swollen tummy.  Lòose stinking stools.  Does this sound familiar?  Was told i had divertuculitis last week but not sure where to start really. Was told it was something else in 2009 CFS.  So ive just got on with it.    However really smelly stools and extreme pain in legs finally got me an colonoscopy....
  • Rowe

Diverticulitis Saga - very helpful information

Hi there, my name is Rowe and I am from Australia , I found some fantastic very informative information from a website in the USA "listen to your gut" Jini Patel. If you have had a flare up and taken antibiotics be aware you have destroyed what good flora you had. The most important thing is to go on a liquid diet to give your inners time to recover , then you need to go on a very bland diet NO...
  • CRA123

Surgery or No Surgery?a

I'm a 48 yrs old male, & have been dealing with a bout of diverticulitis since late November. I was officially diagnosed after a CT scan on 12/8/16, then was hospitalized for 7 days on January 10th after being off the antibiotics, & having a sever flare up that caused a perforation in my sigmoid colon with a contained pocket of air & infection. They treated me with 7 days of IV antibiotics, &...
  • deleted_user

ribbon stools

Hi everyone,I am wondering about the ribbon-like stools you get during an acute attack of diverticulitis. Do they persist after the acute attack is over? Obviously diverticulitis makes your colon narrow. Does it stay that way after the attack passes? I'm worried I will never be able to have a normal BM again, and that it will hurt whenever I try.Thank you!
  • LottaPain

Diverticulitis and shingles.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 2 weeks ago.  Now I also have shingles. Has this happened to anyone else? I feel miserable 
  • deleted_user

Quick Recovery from an Attack

Hi there. I've had diverticulitis since December 2011, but I'm sure I had signs of it much earlier. I'm 40 and female. When I have caffeine, brown liquors, brown soda, junk food, processed food, hamburgers (waaah), or sausage, I am asking for trouble. So I've eliminated most of these contributors to attacks, though when I don't...I think I can cheat a little. Like oooh,that Culver's burger went...
  • Tiredmomof3

Worried

Iam 35 year old mom of 3 :)I had a blood clot a few years back and the E.R. dr ordered a ct scan i was treated and then released a few days later my drs receptionist called and informed me that the radiologist also notied i had fatty liver disease and diverticulitis my family dr never asked for me to come in and see her regarding the matter so i brushed it off and focused on healing and...
  • Habibi

Just been diagnosed

I have just been diagnosed and am feeling quite overwhelmed and down about it all. I was on IV antibiotics for three days and now on a course of antibiotic tablets for a further week. I was on a liquid diet for three days and now on a low fibre 'soft' diet. I'm reaching out to this community for some diet help. Does anyone have an actual low fibre diet that i could follow. I'm struggling...
  • yorkiegirl

Is it just me?

Doe anyone notice that when the weather is cold and rainy or rainy and chilly outside your belly discomfort/pain is worse?  I seem to see a connection.  Is it just me?
  • taniawi

12 year old severe autistic child need help

My son Chris is 12 years old severe autistic and still in pampers and non verbal.  He has many digestion problems and when I bring him to special doctor they dont help they just say hes autistic.  I had to take him out of school and homeschool him due to most food was giving him pain.  I took away most food and started juice vegeatbles and doing well.  Thing is I dont understand is when I...
  • deleted_user

When will my bowels get back to normal?

Off cipro and flagyl now for 2 weeks. Taking probiotics and my bowels are still not back to normal. Started back on high fiber slowly ,but poop is either real soft or diarrhea.. how long will this last ...any sugesstions . I know I dont want to be constipated but also dont want diarrhea..Any one else have this problem any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated,So tired of...
  • NanaC

New

Just diagnosed yesterday after 10 days of discomfort. Prescribed cipro and metronidazole and liquid diet for 7 ddiet Dr explained liquid diet... As anything that I can make into a liquid. After a little research, I am finding that the are a number of things that were indicated as ok... That may not be. Liquidized oatmeal... Fruit and V8 to name a few. I am a bit confused. Any insight would be...
  • beaches27

Frustrated

Hi I'm 49 living in Australia . Have been diagnosed with diverticulitis November 2016. Have been symtamatic for 7 yrs. I am having an attack every 3/4 weeks . Doctors keep giving antibiotics . Is this how the rest of my life will be :(I'm missing so much work and distressed as I know you can understand. I've changed my diet only have a glass of wine here n there. Had colonic irrigation , been to...