Diverticulitis Support Group

Diverticulitis is a common disease of the bowel, in particular the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches on the outside of the colon. Diverticulitis results if one of these diverticula becomes inflamed. Diverticulitis most often affects middle-aged and elderly persons, though it can strike younger patients as well.

2 Online
2 Online
  • Kittyk96

I am new to this group

Just joined and read a few of the posts, all I can say is damn, you guys have been through a lot, but it's nice to know I am not alone.I was diagnosed with "severe" diverticulitis in September 2012. The surgeon who did my colonoscopy told me to go home and think about my options, to decide if I wanted to have surgery. He also said "with what I saw when I was in there, I would not hesitate to...
  • panacuba

My cup runs dry

Hi everyone, It has been three months since I was first diagnosed with Diverticulitis and I won't lie to you: I'm just a bit down in the dumps.No perforations, no blockage...I'm not on any meds (I finished the antibiotic treatment in the first month).So what's the problem? The doctor claimed that I can never again drink alcohol (which stings, but I don't need it) or drink anything that has...
  • Good morning: I thought I had diverticulitis because my colonoscopy showed I had pouches. Diverticula? But my CT scan did not show diverticulitis. My chiropractor said I could be having flare ups and pain without having diverticulitis. Any thoughts? I believe ground up turkey causes me a flare up. I just read online that lean ground beef is easier to digest. I am going to try that. I...
  • JendelieO

Some info on flare-ups

Hi Folks,I was hospitalized for diverticulitis 7 years ago, but with adhering to dietary guidelines, have since only had minor problems. Then boom, suddenly a major flare up! In researching to try and find out what could have caused it, I ran across a study that concluded that taking ibuprofen or aspirin 4 or more times a week, is a risk factor for developing diverticulitis. Lo and behold, I...
  • I am new here. I was in the er yesterday from a swollen esophagus and throat. I am severely dehydrated even after being given fluids. I was just diagnosed with diverticulitis last Wednesday and am still on Flagl and Amoxicillin until tomorrow. I have no idea what to eat or do at this point. Anyone have any suggestions? The info I read on the internet and a book I just bought seem to conflict with...
  • I was diagnosed with Diverticulosis 10 years ago. I have had on average 6-8 flare ups a year in my first 2 years. For those of you who have only recently been diagnosed with the disease you have my full sympathy. Some of you may only have a flare up once a year. For that i say be grateful. My only tip is that you should be very careful with the advice that you receive on forums like these. They...
  • (warning descriptive/graphic) I was Dx with diverticulitis 3 years ago, CT scan, MRI, Got Cipro and Flyagil. Recovery was slow so I thought but nothing like this round! During colonoscopy in 2014. I also had 2 follow up sygmoiscopy (last one spring 2015) and several scans. I just had another bout of diverticulitis, again, Cipro and Flagyl. 3 days into it, I got watery diarrhea several times a...
  • tessygirl

Surgery

I have been a year clear of flare ups until two weeks ago. it was bad, I was hospitalized for 4 days and lost a shed load of weight. I also had a very bad anal bleed for the first time. I have decided to opt for surgery once I am clear of infection and have the diseased part of my colon removed. I have read that 88% of patients who have surgery do not get diverticulitis again. Any thoughts...
  • janegb54

Define Flare-Up.

After being in hospital several days , they say I have Diverticulitis. Am taking Bentyl 3 times a day. This is all so new w/me. My stomach growl off and on 24/7. There are times waking in the nite w/crazy loud growling. Sounds like a war in belly. Would someone explain ( Flare- Up.) And the biggest does and don't w/this health problem.Thank You.
  • richardbias

Not 1 not 2 but 3

Good day everyone... I wish that everyone is doing ok. Well I just want to share that early this morning I had a colonoscopy done in conjunction of bowel colectomy scheduled for tomorrow am 5/26/16. In addition to bowel colectomy... I will also have a cholecystectomy (removal of gallbladder) and an appendectomy (removal of the appendix).not to mention that I'm still having discomfort when I...
  • janegb54

new here.

I was diagnosed w/diverticulitis just this past Thurs. After being in the hospital followed w/tests. Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't done much research on line yet. This group seems like a good starting place. As ppl. dealing w/same issue. Would someone tell me, a few good foods and a few bad foods. Unsure. I'll learn. ty so.
  • richardbias

Anyone else?

I had been diagnosed with diverticulitis Jan of 2016. In a span of 4 months with right diet and following recommendations, I had flare ups. 2nd time was end of February and 3rd one early April(although not as bad as the one I read here or everywhere else).On April of 2016, I had severe pain on my right lower abdomen. Pain was so severe that it also radiates to my back. In the hospital they told...
  • Hi All,I am new to this forum. I had my first bout of diverticulitis in January after long ago having IBS and 6 months prior having ischemic colitis of no known cause except I have cardiomyopathy and was dehydrated that day.I had a colonoscopy on Friday and had so much pain during the procedure. I had lots of diverticula small and large. No colitis, no polyps.Has anyone had this? I did have pain...
  • New here - - Flagyl "take with food" - -how does one do this on a clear diet?
  • Hi all, New here...I'm in my 2nd flare up since being diagnosed about 8 months ago. Severe pain at initial diagnosis lasted 1 week before going into the ER as we thought is might have been a rupturing appendix. did the antibiotics/ liquid diet/ and anti-spasm meds...1 month later colonoscopy resulting in mild diverticula diagnosis and 3 polyps removed with 1 being pre-cancers.1 flare up, very...