Depression Support Group
Depression is a real and debilitating condition that is often misunderstood by family and friends. Its meaning can range from a prolonged period of sadness to an actual mental illness with specific symptoms. Find and share experiences with others who are going through the same struggles.
Nobody responded to my last post and that kinda hurts because I'm looking for help. For most of my life I've dealt with severe depression and self hate. I'm 35 years old now, for the most part I read self help books to try to help myself but don't know how to apply what I read. I was just reading last night that a person can start to believe tings if they tell themselves it enough and I'm afraid I actually believe what I tell myself and what others have, how do you stop self hate?
-
((I tried to post this in one of my journals...but DS kept giving me an error message)))Decided to venture to Detroit. I rarely get to this side of the state since my father was murdered on the east side about 41 years ago. My mom and I rarely went to this side, but I recall she visited the Sommset (www.thesomersetcollection.com/) mall with one of her friends a few years ago. She talked about the...
-
Do you like being the center of attention?


are even less people around here than normal today.
I hope this makes sense
http://www.vastpublicindifference.com/2010/02/remember-me-as-you-pass-by.html
You need a career, you need a home you feel is securely your space, nice clothes, etc. Right? when you have those you maybe will feel stronger, or safer? I am slowly working towards getting all of that. At 35 you still have time to re-educate, and then get a career based on that new education, and build yourself up prior to retirement. For me, at the age of 47, I don't have a heck of a lot of time left and have had to just cut through it and say 'okay what am I already good at, let me take that and run with it' and so admin has been my thing, despite admin being not inspiring at all.
Anyway that's telling you more about me than about you: but the point is, your self esteem comes from your self respect, and your self respect comes from what you have achieved or learned, or can do. The things you have overcome. So to gain it, you have to take on life's challenges and say okay, how shall I win this? And then with grit, determination and gumption, wade on through it and get yourself to the other side.
Take care,
Kat
I learned this from my therapist and also a guided meditation gave me a similar technique to try. Anytime you find yourself thinking difficult thoughts about yourself or even find your mind jumping to conclusions about a negative outcome to a situation which has not happened yet. You tell yourself "You are wrong, that information is incorrect. I am choosing to trust and love myself"
Louise Hay has a similar technique that I am going to try. Whenever you step down onto your left foot. You say to yourself: "I accept myself and I am loved" or "I accept and Love myself". You do this for about a month. (Intense right? Everytime you step with your left foot)
I use the first technique regularly . Some days are certainly more challenging and I say it more than others, but it does help bc I am not playing into the negative thoughts. I am shutting them down.