Dementia Support Group

Dementia is the progressive decline in cognitive function due to damage or disease in the brain beyond what might be expected from normal aging. Particularly affected areas may be memory, attention, language and problem solving, although particularly in the later stages of the condition, affected persons may be disoriented in time, place and person (not knowing who they are).

0 Online
0 Online
  • sckkey

husband with dementia

I have received several wonderful messages of support. However, whenever I go to the support group it seems that most of the posts are about parents. I seem to think that the dynamics of having a parent versus a spouse must be a little different. If there is anyone out there who is dealing with a spouse with dementia I would be interested in hearing from them and how they are coping with the...
  • rbd58

AT MY WITS END!!!!!

My Mom & I had a decent relationship up until about a year & ago Her problems started with not remembering the rules of the road when driving. Luckily she got scared when she made several mistakes & turned the driving over to me with no argument. She has gone downhill ever since. I finally got her to go see a neuropsychologist for testing & she has a appointment with her PCP in a week to go...
  • marior

dementia worse

my dementia has gotten worse and worse. mine is more situational. im sleeping on the street and driving around without a car. my dad lied to me again and he wont fix my van he made me waste soo much money and tricked me as usual.the dementia is more schizophrenia and fear and paranoia. I dont know how to fill that up with something good so that I can survive a little bit longer. it just...
  • rbd58

Mom's new RX Donepezil

Mom's PCP gave us a diagnosis of moderate Alzheimer's today. She has been prescribed the generic for Aricept called Donepezil. She will take the dosage of 5mg for two months. Anyone else's loved ones given this drug? What were the results?
  • teesha43

MY MUM

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how angry, frustrated, sad, lost or forgetful she get's, she is my mum, and she loves me just as much as I love her. Dementia is such a cruel, hurtful disease, it's not fair and it hurts not only the patient, but families and friends. I look at my mum and it breaks my heart knowing there is nothing I can do to make her better, but I promise I will love...
  • teesha43

Younger Dementia Loved ones

Hi thereI have been reading a lot of the discussions and I was wondering if anyone has younger family diagnosed with Dementia, mum is 68 ( Diagnosed at 64) and it would be wonderful to be able to chat to others who have younger parents with Dementia :)
  • I ran into mom in the bathroom. She had to go, so I said fine, cuz I was gunna get a shower. She was kinda upset with me cuz I was gettin a shower & she didn't wanna be late to somethin she thought she was goin to. She said she had to be somewhere & drop stuff off for someone. She couldn't tell me what the stuff was or who she was givin it to. She talks a lot about goin home to my gram's...
  • traceywilson

How to handle.

Hello, after my mom died I moved into my patents home to tend to my 90yo gma whom has dementia.I don't know how tip handle some things that come up. She gets scared of her self. She believes the reflection in the mirror are other people.
  • minpinluvr65

Early stages of Dementia.

Hi. My mom is showin early stages of Dementia. Her biggest problem is she packs clothes & gets ready to go home. She is home. The home she is talkin about is where she was born & raised. She tells us she has to take stuff home & bring stuff back. When we ask her what the stuff is, she gets upset. She says it's stuff she left at my gram's house. My gram passed away in 03 & her house was...
  • SandHarbor3

Beautiful Dementia Poem

A poem that some may have read elsewhere but which, I believe, is worth re-rereading and sharing with others...Do not ask me to remember. Don't try to make me understand. Let me rest and know you're with me. Kiss my cheek and hold my hand. I'm confused beyond your concept. I am sad and sick and lost. All I know is that I need you To be with me at all cost.Do not lose your patience with me. Do not...
  • teesha43

Dementia and Alcohol

Hi everyone, I hope you're all well.I have an issue with mum, as many of you know she has Dementia and is being cared for by our step father. Recently we had a family function and mum was in a bad mood, our step father decided that she was going to have a few drinks, well 5 Gin & Tonics later mum was being quite inappropriate with what she was saying, she wanted to go and have a chat with a man...
  • There are two types of memory.short run and long run
  • andraeacross

The struggle is real...

I am new to being the caregiver for someone with dementia. I am now full time caregiver of my 90 year old grandmother with dementia. My whole life as well as my kids lives have been turned around by her coming to live with us. I don't have any help throughout week and my grandmother makes me feel guilty if I have to just pick a kid up from school. She has complete panic attacks and if I do go...
  • eirichurts1

My Mom Passed Away

My mom died from a long battle with Dementia. It cased family problems and me and my dad no longer talk. I tried for 6 years but he would not budge. He would not let me see my mom. I am very depressed the way I treated my dad and cant live with it. How ever he was so abusive to me and cased me so many problems. I extended my moms life by years. I was left a inheritance but dont think I have it...
  • My mom has been in a nursing home for almost a year and has been fighting with me not only to get out because she says she is fine and doesn't think she needs to be in there. She was recently diagnosed with Dementia. She has had mental problems which was mainly due to my stepdad's death back in 2010 along with some of her medicines. As time goes on it slowly gets worse. When I try to have a...