Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Support Group

Atrial fibrillation (AF or afib) is an abnormal heart rhythm (cardiac arrhythmia) which involves the two small, upper heart chambers (the atria). Heart beats in a normal heart begin after electricity generated in the atria by the sinoatrial node spread through the heart and cause contraction of the heart muscle and pumping of blood.

0 Online
  • RitaB

New Diagnosis

I have just been diagnosed with afib and there is no local support group in my small town.  I haven't been to the cardiologist yet, and I was told it may be months.  In the meatime my doctor has put me on metropolol and baby aspirin.  My anxiety and fear are through the roof and I feel like i want to quit my business and my volunteer work because I am so scared.  All I want to is cry!  Does...
  • rhess27

Constantly short of breath/unable to catch breath

I was just diagnosed with AFib, and my cardiologist just put me on Metoprolol (25mg time release) and Xarelto (20mg).  The Metoprolol is in addition to Cozaar/Losartan that I've already been on for a long while and has done well for me in keeping my BP under control.  The Metoprolol, obviously, is more to treat the irregular heartbeat.  Anyway, all this started very recently--I first noticed...
  • Goaway-12

Atrial Fibrillation now they want to treat

I have had Atrial Fibrillation for as long as I can remember, first episode I noticed was in my teens, always been told it's a panic attack, I'm too stressed (friends tell me I'm the most chilled person they have met) until about 20years ago my doctor caught it at 240bpm, called an ambulance and sent me to emergencyl. All investgations done, doctor told me there was nothing they could do to help...
  • ronh

Afib changes. Thanks for any answers

I had my first AFIB episode 3 years ago. Fast pulse crazy chest movement went to ER and drugs calmed it down with the paddles in the room. I was put on medicine to control it. Another episode sent me back to the ER a month later and they changed the Meds.   Since then I have had an episode about every 6 months.   I been taking  lisonipril and dilt-Xr daily. And use pripanolol to control speed...
  • hydro1570

3 weeks post ablation still SOB

Hi all, my husband 39 yo had cardiac ablation done for what was diagnosed as AFIB & he was hospitalized twice for it. He was never on any meds. They did the abalation 8/2 & he is still SOB & lightheaded at times when walking far or doing any type of light activity. Sometimes even getting up from sitting after awhile. EP doc acted like he is young & will be fine & did not even care about his SOB....
  • hightechguru

My AFIB story

Last September I was cleaning a bridge that crosses a creek in our front yard. I slipped and fell on the slippery surface. I tore my rotator cuff, which I knew right away, since I had tore my other one a couple of years prior in a motorcycle wreck.  Went to the doctor and he scheduled the MRI and then I went in for surgery. Oddly, within days of the fall, I started having strange things going on...
  • DebW

I was diagnosed with AFib

Hello,I was diagnosed with Afib in January of this year. Since then, I have had a few other issues and have found out I need to have surgery.I was told by the surgeon that even though I will be having heart surgery to replace my bicuspid valve and my aorta (I have a large aneurysm), the AFIB may still become an issue at a later date.Has anyone in this group had a valve replaced and still have...
  • fatboy

amioderone?

wondering if any of you are on amioderone. i took it for two months and felt the best i've felt in a year. no afib after having almost constant afib. due to a couple side affects my dr had me stop the drug till i have some lab work to check out my liver. anyone else have problems with this drug?   
  • Billyboy

This is opposite to expected, surely?

After 20 year's experience with AF, I take the best level of Sotalol for me - morning 80mg, evening 160mg. My heart rate is around 70. I currently have a new heart problem and a cardiologist has suggested dropping the Sotalol to 80mg BD. This has made me feel very ill and appears to have dropped the heart rate to low fifties. Anyone got thoughts on this?
  • metis44

Afib with low BP

New here.. looking for others that have afib with low blood pressure and heart rate.. Now I am on the beta blocker and Medodine (which does the exact opposite of the beta blocker).. talk about a fight in my body.. its unreal.. One is trying to slow heart rate and the other trying to speed it up..  
  • I'm happy to have come upon this support group via the atrial fibrillation blog.Here's my story: Afib came a knockin' at my door in 2009. After 3 failed cardioversions and amidarone failed to restore sinus rhythym, I had my first ablation in August of that year to treat persistent afib. Having been knocked off my feet by the afib and accompanying chorus of palpitations, breathlessness and loss of...
  • snowshoedude

Running/Exercise After Ablation

It has been 25 weeks since my long post ablation flutter episode and over seven months since my first and only ablation. As an avid runner, I had recovery questions going into the ablation that many fellow afibbers kindly helped answer. So while things are still fresh in my head, here's a recounting of what I learned post ablation to return the favor for others who might have the questions I had....
  • Surfrat

Just checking in.

Well, it's certainly been a long time since I stopped in here at Daily Strength. It's quite obvious that there's been a major website reconstruct during my absense. A little tricky to get used to at first. I hope all is well and who's still here from the old site?? - Tom (aka: Surfrat)
  • SameDayNurse

Oh For Heavens Sake

Finally found whatever this is I have been looking for......consider myself fairly intelligent haha but maybe not so much on this website.....seems like a lot of us havent found the way yet. All is well in my world nothing new to report, still the Queen of Flecainide and still feeling great. Hope to check back more often and find things somewhat back to normal . jan
  • deleted_user

brain drain

A week ago I had another attack of atrial fib that lasted for 5 hours, went to hospital. I had an ablation done 8 months ago, and I continued to have a-fib episodes but far less then before the ablation. I have SOB,chest tightness with pain in back, and weakness, but the biggest problem is left sided headaches with confusion. I can't seem to deal with the simplest task. Does any one out there...