Anemia Support Group

Anemia (or anaemia), which literally means "without blood," is a deficiency of red blood cells and/or hemoglobin. This results in a reduced ability of blood to transfer oxygen to the tissues, and this causes hypoxia; since all human cells depend on oxygen for survival, varying degrees of anemia can have a wide range of clinical consequences.

1 Online
  • Donzygirl

My iron is a 7?

I just went to the doctor and he told me my iron was a 7 and that is really low. He gave me iron pills but I just don't want to take them. If my iron is a 7, how low is that and how dangerous is that for me? I don't ever feel weak, or get headaches or anything like that. I go work out everyday and everything. One other thing, I don't have a menstrual cycle, could that be because I have such...
  • tinytoto

Iron was at 13, no aneamia

My iron levels have roller coasted up and down over the past three years and I'm now on my third round of iron therapy. The first and present times my iron levels went right down to 13 leaving me almost incapacitated. I'm waiting until next month to see a Hematologist, but my life is presently ruined. I have only begun to regain some strength in my legs that I can travel farther than my own...
  • ellycrys

Any suggestions?

i've been waiting to fing a new gp to get a referral to a rheumatologist for almost a year...   my dermatologist is convinced i have sle based on my biopsy/symptoms/ rash on my face and has me on plaquenil and steroids, plud anti-inflammatories.  That has really helped.   I still have flare ups but they last less time and are less severe.    All of my triggers are the sun, and things that...
  • Deidree

Need some feedback

I have been dealing with low feritin for years. I'm about to start a biologics for AS so the Dr ran more labs work. I was pretty sure my levels were low as I've been brutally tired, foggy brain, etc...Feritin: 7  (normal range 15-247)RDW: 15.3 (normal range 11.5-14.5)My 7yr old has low feritin as well :(Would love your thoughts!
  • MissingStrength

Figuring it all out

Hello,I was just diagnosed as acutely iron defficient anemic. My ferratin was a 3 the rest of the numbers were low but not severely so. The GP said it was really low but not so bad that I needed a blood transfusion.Let me back up a little. I had started to get pretty weak. My arms and legs were having trouble supporting me. I was getting winded with the simplest things. I had gone on a trip to...
  • Cblacq

Not Anemia, Low ferritin

Hi All, Hoping for a little advice and support. I've been having muscle and joint pain since last November. This pain is almost always present although it is WAY worse when my cycles (periods) are late. They have changed greatly in the past year and are irregular sometimes up to 45 days apart. I'm 33 with 3 children. The youngest is 4. The longer the days between my period, the absolute worse I...
  • Cyndigio73

Being sent to a hematyologist

hi, I was diagnosed with anemia, and am being sent to a hematyologist, and was just wondering what anyone else's experience with this might be?Thanks
  • Fly304

Unusual cold hands and feet

Hi, i wasnt sure where to put this question. I have a sudden onset of freezing hands and feet. Never had anything like it. I wear gloves and socks, run them under warm water and sleep with a electric blanket. It started a few weeks ago. Ive been to the dr several times in the last few months, for other reasons, and blood has come back normal. I saw on the net anemia could be a cause, so i ruled...
  • sfw57

Need some support, just been diagnosed with anemia

Hello all, I have always tried to maintain a healthy lifestyle and never had any medical conditions, but it all changed about a month ago. I had donated blood a few times a year and had my blood work done by a physician at least once a year and everything always checked out great. However, I always had certain symptoms of anemia (feeling cold, irritability and fatigue). My last blood donation...
  • swagencies

Where to start?

Our 19 year old daughter has been giving blood without issue for 3 years and has been vegitarian for about a year and a half.suddenly she is Anemic!!Big issue is that if she is long term Anemic she can't follow her dream of joining the Army.She has a just Ok blood count after 3 months on suppliments but, needs to get to a point where she doesn't rely on them.She has quite heavy periods ,...
  • liketoknow

Is this normal?

I have just had very severe anemia, my hemaglobin went down to 4.6, I was told it should be around 12.  It came on all through last year ut I did not go to the doctors until last November, the doctor I first saw said it was a viral infection and there was nothing they could give me, I had to just let it run its course.  I got weaker and weaker and could hardly move without getting breathless. ...
  • rico88

Dosage of iron

This group doesn't seem very active but I'll post anyone in hopes someone will reply. I was diagnosed anemic last week. Doctor prescribed 325 mg ferrous sulfide per day and a follow-up in four months. I complained about stomach discomfort and the doseage (I'm 73) and he said it is ok to take one every other day.Does anyone know if an every other day dosage is as effective?Also, I'm considering...
  • I am completly lost any help is appreciated ive been researching for weeks and weeks... I feel terrible, and have felt terrible for years, all the docters told me I had anxiety and needed to be on anxiety medication. 4 Years later I finally just went into a lab and ordered my own tests....But my tests do not seem to match up.I have read that when you have low iron that your body naturually makes...
  • Ribbit

Anemia % kidney disease

Hi Eveyone, I am new here. I have amenia as a result of kidney disease. I am tired all the time. There is not much I can do about. Does anyone else have this type of anemia?
  • deleted_user

Joint pain & swelling a symptom of anemia or n

I recently visited the doctor about my lingering joint pain and swelling, most noticably in my hands and feet and also lots of pain in my knees. After blood tests were done, it was discovered one of my blood counts was 98 when it should be around 130, haemoglobin I think. The doctor said that was the cause of those symptoms. I thought for sure it would be rheumatoid arthritis. My ANA test hasn't...