Anemia Support Group

Anemia (or anaemia), which literally means "without blood," is a deficiency of red blood cells and/or hemoglobin. This results in a reduced ability of blood to transfer oxygen to the tissues, and this causes hypoxia; since all human cells depend on oxygen for survival, varying degrees of anemia can have a wide range of clinical consequences.

0 Online
0 Online
  • nikki6349

Newly Anemic

Hi All, I joined this group in hopes to find people going through the same thing. I was recently diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia 2 weeks ago. About one month ago, I began feeling extremely lightheaded, fatigue and was experiencing rapid heartbeat. One day it was so bad I left work and my husband took me to the ER because I could not shake the feelings. After an EKG, bloodwork and urine...
  • sabia

B12 Deficiency Anaemia

During pregnancy I was diagnosed with severe B12 deficiency and anaemia, so severe that my GP called me urgently to give loading doses. I had a c-section and my haemoglobin was 7, I was told at the hospital I'd get a blood transfusion.I was in hospital 2 days and treated like dirt, I was discharged with iron tablets and paracetamol for the pain, no transfusion. Since then it's been 2 years of...
  • I have been recently diagnosis with Hypochromic Microcytic Anemia and would like to talk to other people who have been diagnosis with it as well. Any information will be appreciated.
  • Hello everyone,I'm recent college grad so my life is a bit crazy right now but it seem to get a little more crazy when I got a phone call two days ago. My doctor made be get my anemic levels check because I became barely anemic when I was diagnosis with H. Pylori in Sept. she just wanted to make sure it was still doing good. Well I got a call saying that my levels are around 9 something which is...
  • jacobdo77

Anemia Help

Anemia is a common occurrence in people that have Achlorhydria. Achlorhydria is the complete absence of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Achlorhydria is caused by Hypochlorhydria the reduce strength of the hydrochloric acid in the stomach.Hypochlorhydria can be caused by aging, medications like PPIs. antibiotics, antihistamines, and a host of other chemical medications. These medications stop...
  • In March I started to take Iron pills for my anemia. First I started taking 28 mg, then 60 for a while then back to 28 b/c of the side effects. I seemed to be getting better and last week went back to the Dr. for a update. She recommended I take 45 mg slow release twice a day as well as a stool softener. The side effects are killing me.I have pain in my side, back pain, I feel weak and queasy and...
  • Hi. I've had ongoing iron deficiency issues for 4 years now. Have had all the tests and no bleeding found anywhere. I've had iron infusions on average every 6 months. Last one was in January, and it's being recommended I have another because my iron stores are pretty much non-existent. My hematologist was sure that once I stopped menstruating, the problem would go away, but I haven't had a period...
  • Donzygirl

My iron is a 7?

I just went to the doctor and he told me my iron was a 7 and that is really low. He gave me iron pills but I just don't want to take them. If my iron is a 7, how low is that and how dangerous is that for me? I don't ever feel weak, or get headaches or anything like that. I go work out everyday and everything. One other thing, I don't have a menstrual cycle, could that be because I have such...
  • mega54

Understanding Anemia

I have done a lot of reading about improving your iron level. It is very complicated because even If you get enough iron to match your Daily Minimum Requirement of Iron from the best possible sources and do not consume anything that keeps it from being absorbed, you will not get enough iron. That is because you can only absorb about 18 % of the iron you consume. There are many helpful...
  • I have had been feeling tired accompanied with anxiety and feeling down for months now. I knew that the tiredness was not normal - I would feel tired from any exertion such as climbing the stairs (not breathless - dizzy and wanting to lie down). I couldn't bring myself do normal everyday things like make my bed, make myself food or run errands let alone revise for my exams. So I knew it was...
  • Greetings,I'm a new member, and I live in Australia. Does anyone else live here?I do think our test results are stated differently than in the U.S.(see quote below)"The normal haemoglobin range for a man is approximately 130 - 170 g/L.The normal haemoglobin range for a woman is approximately 120 -160 g/L."My haemoglobin dropped to 50. I was given 5 units of blood, and 1 unit of plasma. I now...
  • Hello heroes of the interwebz. I need your help. Recently I was diagnosed with post concussion syndrome. However due to the circumstance I highly doubt what happened caused a concussion. I had a migraine while training at a martial arts gym and when the migraine symptoms lasted for 3 weeks I was diagnosed with concussion. The reason I do not think it is a concussion was because the only thing...
  • I want to cry.Started Venofer treatments 3/22/16. Original numbers: ferritin 3.4, hemoglobin 5.9, hematocrit 20.3. Was admitted to the hospital 4/7/16 to 4/9/16 (by this point I had already had 2 infusions) and left with two additional infusions, no blood transfusion, hemoglobin 6.8, hematocrit 22.4. I have been so weak since 4/7 but started feeling stronger around 4/14. Yesterday I actually...
  • orangey

Ezfe

I started Ezfe and a couple days later my anxiety is subsiding? Anyone led had this happen
  • Hi, everyone!Long story short - always had bouts of anemia, but this time my hemoglobin = 4. This is really low, I never had it so low. Did anyone ever have hemoglobin=4 or less?I have a very busy life, but how to keep up with all this, when I have 0 energy? How do you recuperate, while still running the family? 3 young kids, grad school, hubby, house chores, etc.,etc.,etc., you know the drill...