ADHD / ADD Support Group

Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and attention deficit disorder (ADD) are more common than you might think. It is a syndrome that exhibits symptoms such as hyperactivity, forgetfulness, mood shifts, poor impulse control, and distractibility. Join others who suffer from these conditions and share your experiences.

0 Online
  • Are you a current college student with ADD/ADHD between the ages of 18-25? Then I want to hear from YOU! I am conducting my senior thesis looking at the experiences of college students with ADHD and I need participants. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Your responses would be REALLY helpful for me and would help us learn more about the experiences of college students with ADHD.  And guess what?...
  • jayq

Preschooler ADHD treatment

My 3.5 year old was just diagnosed with ADHD. We have had two visits with a MFT. One just my husband and I and one with my daughter. What type of therapy will they do with her? Medication isn't an option at this time. I have heard ABA is for Autism but sometimes can be used for ADHD. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with it all but I am also overwhelmed by the behavior of an ADHD child so it...
  • skii

Hey

Hi I have ADD and I'm in high school and have a lot of homework because I can't focus or give a crap to do it anyone have any good tips or tricks that have helped them through this? Just wondering 
  • NaturalMom

Homework - Coping Strategies

Here are some homework coping strategies that have worked great for my son and me:1.  Remove clutter.  Clearing the desk and work area of clutter helps clear the mind.2.  Avoid distractions.  Sit in a separate room from any distractions, including TV (even if off), cell phones, books, pets, noise, and movement.3. Do work early.  The earlier you do it, the more mental energy you'll have for...
  • NaturalMom

Executive Function Therapy

I just learned of this new therapy called "Executive Function" exercises for ADHD and Autism.  These are simply brain exercises that are apparently very effective, and they improve behavior as well.  Please see more info. in my post under "Homework" below. 
  • NaturalMom

Homework

I can definitely understand your frustration about homework -- a lot of kids and parents feel the same way.  I would suggest that you, your parents, or a group of students try to talk to your teachers and school administrator about reducing the amount of homework. Evidence has shown that giving more homework does not necessarily improve academic achievement.  Prepare for your meeting with the...
  • bornconfused

Trapped...

I was diagnosed with ADHD 8 years ago.  Since then i have been on medication but take it only when I need to study.  Now i am in medical school so the need to take the medication is very frequent.  Some days are good and productive, but other days the side effects hit me hard.  I become very critical of myself to the point of tears, my appitite is severly curbed, my concentration is so...
  • Faithfully77

Emergen C

I was told the other day by a lady that does neurofeedback and has studied ADHD and ADD very closely as well as having a now 23 year old that grew up with ADHD - that Emergen C is very good for the children and adults alike with ADHD or ADD. Presently, my son plays spring football and we were always told by his pediatrician to give him Gatorade for his inherited low blood pressure. As we now...
  • Stepmom

Stepmom to 11 year old with ADHD

Hi everyone.  I just recently married the love of my life 2 months ago.  I have 2 healthy kids 14 and 11.  My husband has an 11 year old son with ADHD. He is not being treated with medications or therapy.   Being new to this process I am having a lot of frustrations and a very difficult time dealing with his behaviors.  I feel horrible about how I feel sometimes but I have never been exposed...
  • CGH16

New to group

Good morning. I am new to group and this is my first post. I have ADHD as well as BiPolar Disorder so I"ve posted there as well this morning. Just thought I'd read some posts and eventually share, if I can, any insight I have. Thank you. ...Chuck
  • tbbrandyn

hello everyone

Hello everyone. It has been a while since i have been on here. I was told that I was ADHD when I was a young child. Over the years in school I had a hard time with subjects and an even hard time with taking tests. Over the years i just learned to work with it and was never put on meds for it. Just thought that my parents didnt want me on them when I was younger. Over the years since then I have...
  • deleted_user

my son wit adhd and disruptive behavior disorder

please help my son has adhd and disruptive behavior disorder and is on meds but he still acts out and its only at home and with me. they have no problem with him at school or when someone watches him. it takes me a long time to talk him down and to cool of and he seems to act out more when around 630pm and on and my only guess is that his meds have worn off. but I can give it to him at 630pm or 9...
  • uagyrl

Any adults with ADHD on here?

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD as a 35 year old. I am struggling with insurance to pay for meds since I wasn't diagnosed when I was a kid - crazy right? I must have had it all along. I can't finish projects, I start WAY too many projects at once and get lured into starting another before I finish. I'm also struggling with severe depression and anxiety, which I know doesn't help. Just...
  • muelkm

Behavior issues & suspension in elementary school

Hi Everyone,I've been reading through a lot of posts and feel comforted knowing that there are others out there going through the same thing. My husband and I have been on quite the journey with our son, who is now 7. There have been many frustrations, unhappy moments, lots of crying, multiple therapists, psychiatrists, the list goes on. This is by far the hardest and most frustrating thing I...
  • Melissa_anne

Recently Diagnosed

Hey everyone, I was recently diagnosed with ADHD at 34.  I honestly never knew that I had it til now.  I saw something online and for fun wanted to check the symptoms of ADHD and found I fit a lot of the criteria.  I went to the Dr. and they diagnosed me with it.  I have gone years thinking I am an idiot, thinking I just get bored with projects easily, being called ditzy was normal for me,...