Osteoporosis Support Group

Osteoporosis is a disease of bone in which bone mineral density is reduced, bone microarchitecture is disrupted, and the amount and variety of non-collagenous proteins in bone is changed. It is estimated that 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men over the age of 50 worldwide have osteoporosis. It is responsible for millions of fractures annually, mostly involving the lumbar vertebrae, hip, and wrist.

0 Online
  • littlemart

Treating without meds

I am so happy to see that a lot of people are avoiding the standard meds the doctors like to push for Osteo. My bone density is bad, but I just can't bring myself to use those things like Prolia etc. I know some people swear by them, but the possible side effects scare me too much. I thought these drugs were supposed to strengthen our bones, but so many of them actually cause breaks. What's...
  • Thank you
  • deleted_user

Fractured ribs, no bruising

Hi,I was diagnosed with osteoporosis on May 30, at age 44, but feel that I have probably had this for about seven years. I signed on a while ago, and have just been reading. I found that I was getting injured far too easily playing sports. I have broken toes, and injured my tailbone, but mostly fractured and broken ribs.The weird thing is, my ribs break so eaily, that most of the time, I don't...
  • YiddisheMama

Looking for support

I just turned 50 and took my first bone density test which indicated osteoporosis - T scores of -3.4 and 2.6 and today took my first prescription of weekly fosmax this morning. I feel queasy in my stomach and rather anxious. I don't know anyone else with this disease. I'd appreciate any words of support. 
  • suaritmak

su içmek cildi güzelleştrir mi

çok su içmenin cildi güzelleştirdiği dile getirilir. Bu düşünceye yardım eden bilimsel veriler varmı?rahat, ışıldayan bir cilde sahip olmak isteyenlerin çoğunluğu, bol bol su içimi tavsiyesini duymuştur. Suyun bünyeyi toksinlerden temizleyerek, teni güzelleştirdiği ifade edilir.Bu tavsiyede bulunanların içilmesini tavsiyede ettikleri su tutarı değişiklik...
  • Kimmey2

Hellooooo New here :)

Hello everyone, from Birmingham Alabama.So, I JUST turned 50! and I'm totally great with it! However, I have been fighting joit issues since I turned 40. Had my first bone scan at 40.  I can't even remember the score, but he wanted to start me on meds.  I am so harded headed when it comes to medication.  I have had hip issues and swelling in my ankle for a while.  I chalked it up to RA....
  • Philo52

Calcium Supplements

I recently completed my yearly DXA Scan and am not happy with the results.My scores have been within the osteopenia range for some time however the mostrecent results were disconcerting.Lumbar Spine:Jan 2016 -1.8Jan 2017 -2.3Left hip and Femoral neck are also in the Osteopenia range.I've been taking Jarrow Formulas "Bone Up Ultra."It's 2 pills with each meal so it's quite a bit.Right now, I'm...
  • nesskay65

Osteoporosis Article

Found what I felt was a well written article on osteoporosis from Dr Tom McGuire, Sabastopol, CA titled "Osteoporosis: An Overview and Treatment Options".  He researched and wrote this after his wife was diagnosed. I thought it may be of interest to others, as well. It has many links to other articles and provides information about supplements his wife uses. I so appreciate all who post...
  • gramybear

New to the site

Hi everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate tomorrow. I was just diagnosed with Osteoporosis from Osteopenia. My doctor wants me to take Fosamax but I just can't do it! I have several diseases of the Esophagus and stomach and after reading the side affects, they just scared me too much. Is there ANYTHING that I can take that is natural? Right now I take Calcium, Magnesium, D3, Fish...
  • nesskay65

AlgaeCal

Does anyone have any experience with AlgaeCal?
  • nesskay65

Bonexcin

Does anyone take Bonexcin? I am trying to review plant based calcium to help with osteoporsis and am find many kinds of calcium. The research indicates that plant based is better, but trying now to find best product.  I am happy to share what I have found if anyone is interested.
  • cindy_bartz

Building Stronger Bones Naturally

Hi everyone,My name is Cindy Bartz, I am a certified yoga instructor and was diagnosed with Osteopenia back in 2010. I was frustrated with my DEXA scan results because I was eating very health (whole, fresh foods, very little processed) and exercised (walking, hiking, yoga and tai chi) on a regular basis. I seemed to be doing everything right! My doctor gave me a prescription and told me to take...
  • HarrysMom

compression fractures, frustrated

hi everyone.  i sort of posted here fairly recently - at least thanked someone for the list of supplements we can take to help ourselves.  i almost remember who that was - i am teasing myself a little bit here - i have cognitive problems from MS, so, not really kidding.i haven't had the fractures spelled out to me properly and am honestly trying to work up the strngth to go and make that...
  • nesskay65

Exercise Program

I hope I am not missing the comments on this topic. I am so thankful that there are so many willing to share their information and help. I have always been active and convinced myself that I did not need to have an exercise program. After this diagnosis, I have certainly changed my mind. I have been exercising pretty regularly for several weeks and am surprised (really don't like admitting my...
  • nesskay65

So happy to have found this support group

I am a 69 year old, active, female. Due to my DeXA Scan, I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. My dr prescribed Fosomax, but after reading the "possible" side effects and the "probable" long term side effects, I decided to find another solution. This group has given me information I have been searching for, and has validated some of the things I am doing. Interestingly, I have found several...