Myasthenia Gravis Support Group

Myasthenia gravis (MG) is a neuromuscular disease leading to fluctuating muscle weakness and fatiguability. The hallmark of myasthenia gravis is muscle weakness that increases during periods of activity and improves after periods of rest. Although myasthenia gravis may affect any voluntary muscle, muscles that control eye and eyelid movement, facial expression, and swallowing are most frequently affected.

0 Online
  • stevebert

Supplements

Anyone find certain vitamins to be effective to improve general MG symptoms?Thanks to this awesome group, 10 days ago I started taking 5,000 IU of Vit. D3. I have also been improving since then, too.I also find B12 during the day helps fight fatigue and actually minimizes the MG symptoms in the afternoon.Finally, I also take Astragulus in powdered capsule form. The Chinese discovered it as a...
  • http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2586257Conclusions and Relevance  Rituximab therapy appears to be an effective option in patients with refractory AChR+ MG, who were observed to have a durable response after treatment. Identification of markers of disease relapse and sustained remission are critical next steps in the development of pathophysiology-relevant,...
  • momtoboys

New! Breathing?

Hello Group! I am so happy I found this. I almost in process of waiting for a neurologist but have textbook symptoms of MG. question: when I lay down al fall asleep I think my muscles are weak/relaxing and I wake up feeling like I wasn't breathing. Brain tingly, numb all over. When I am awake I can consciously breath deeply and am OK. Muscle weakness in face, eye, neck, chest and arms and legs....
  • Speed_Tek

Disclosing your medical condition to HR

With recently being diagnosed with MG is there an issue with disclosing your condition to HR? as an IT manager i worry about a couple of things.1. Can they help in case of crisis knowing my condition2. Putting them on noitice that i have a medical condition and there is a reason for fatigue and symptoms like slurred speach. 3. Do you disclose to your boss?  Two edge sword without knowlege they...
  • acameron80

Exercise

I was diagnosed almost one year ago and I am really struggling to accept my new normal.  I use to love to run and running was my coping mechanism and now I can't.  How can you exercise?  I have always been a hard worker and the type of person to roll up my sleeves and attack any problem.  I don't know how to rest or relax.  Any advice would be appreciated 
  • AshBash001

New to MG- Treatment ?'s

Hi Everyone, I'm a 22 year old female and I was diagnosed with MG a few days ago. Currently a full time student at a University studying Respiratory Therapy (I know, very ironic lol). My neurologist prescribed 30mg of Mestinon twice a day and 5 continuous days of IVIG foe beginning treatment. Along with an EMG and CT Scan.  Can anyone tell me the effects the IVIG had on them while recieving...
  • deleted_user

can you drive if you have myasthenia gravis?

hi, i ve not been on here for a while, hope everyone has had a lovely christmas and all the best, i was just wondering if u have myasthenia gravis can u drive am currently in remissions but i still suffer whilst walking i become very breathless which am not to sure is normal but my consultant says it is, i decided its about time to get a car as it would b alot easier for me to get around and i...
  • SamCat

Hello All

I have NOT been diagnosed, but my maternal grandmother, and great grandmother both died with myasthenia gravis as contributing cause. I have been told that my mother's sister also has it but it has not been confirmed. My mother passed away from other much more obvious issues so there wasnt any testing on her to see if she had it as well.I dont have symptoms, I am only 41, but I am concerned. I...
  • scaredandpregnant

Mg and labour

Hi I am 25 weeks pregnant with my first baby I was diagnosed with mg in 2005 and was started on medication and had a thymectomy 6 months later which luckily stopped all my symptoms I have not taken any medication since I am now pregnant and have been monitored quite closely due to my medical history can anyone give me advise on labour and whether the mg can come back? Also I was under the...
  • Speed_Tek

Recently diagnosed..

I was recently diagnosed with MG to say it's been a hard pill to swallow. My symptoms are just to my facial area which is guess is more rare than other types.   Oh btw.. nothing wrong with thymus apparently my antibodies are off the chart.  Dr. said it broke his machine.. how is that for good news. What types of treatments besides just the normal meds? what types of foods are best to eat as...
  • deleted_user

GOOD NEWS- HIZENTRA

Hello everyone,I have bene gone for a minute, but Im back with good news. For the past two months I have been using a drug called Hizentra. Its like IVIG that you can do at home, by yourself, on your own time. I love it!It has been working great, right now I do it once a week for about 4 hours a day and see improvements within 24-48hours. My doctor states that I can do it twice a week if I need...
  • wab

Rising above myasthenia gravis

Just turned 65...Diagnosed in 1991 with MG..still on 60 mg mestinon 4 times daily plus 180 mg timespan nightly. I have always had the belief that I need to stay ahead of MG by exercise. Crossfit Brand X three times a week plus three outdoor runs. I run three half marathons (Carlsbad in Jan-La Jolla in April- Americans finest City in Aug). Looking for like minded MG folks in San Diego, Ca.....
  • msingh

Huperzine A

I have MG for about 10 years now, currently on Mestinon, Cellcept, and IVIG. Just wondering if anyone has tried Huperzine A for MG.
  • garyrico

HUPERZINE A TEST

Several weeks ago i bought a bottle of Huperzine A tabs after reading about it online and at this site. People seemed to have good experiences so I was thinking of trying it to replace my Mestinon.I was still a little hesitant. ..but today I decided to give it a shot after all these weeks. I let my midday Mestinon wear off and gave it a little extra time for me to start feeling my MG kicking...
  • VibeRyder

Looking for advice

Hello, I was diagnosed with mg about three years ago and recently suffered my worst exacerbation yet. It began about a month ago with increasing difficulty walking. About a week ago I was unable to climb stairs and was admitted into the hospital for 5 days of ivig and an increase in my Prednisone. Luckily my breathing was unaffected, the problem area is my legs and arms. I was discharged...