Myasthenia Gravis Support Group

Myasthenia gravis (MG) is a neuromuscular disease leading to fluctuating muscle weakness and fatiguability. The hallmark of myasthenia gravis is muscle weakness that increases during periods of activity and improves after periods of rest. Although myasthenia gravis may affect any voluntary muscle, muscles that control eye and eyelid movement, facial expression, and swallowing are most frequently affected.

0 Online
  • Becky1993

Only just been diagnosed

Dose it get better. I carnt cope Im 22 and have 2 small children one aged 5 and one aged 2. All I seem to hear from ppl is rest. That don't happen woth 2 kids. I'm struggling to walk what can I do to help.... going out of my mind xxx 
  • Meng

Neurologist number 5....

Just saw neurologist number 5... Not the worst experince I have had but not sure if it was a big help towards a diagnosis...First off she thought I had been referred to her due to numbness in my hands and feet??? and she did not have the note from my recent appointment with a GI - who did a good neuro exam and prescribed mestinon or any labs or other important info.But she listened and did an...
  • I was diagnosed over a year ago. In this time I have kept telling myself I was going to be able to deal with it without any one help. I still have blurred vision. One of my doctors said that I shouldn't drive. I moved in with my mother. I feel like i have lost all my independence all at one time. I am on predisone. I was working 60 to 65 hours a week this time last year I am not working about 26...
  • Has anyone else been advised to have a eye lid or eye brow lift to help with eye lid dropping ?
  • jessiebclark

has anyone had eye muscle surgery based on an undiagnosed case of myasthenia gravis? I was diagnosed with fourth nerve palsy and underwent surgery two years ago -- only to have MG symptoms return a few months ago. This time I was diagnosed with MG but have vision issues due to surgery.
  • SurrenderToHope

Mestinon Before Diagnosis

Hey guys,I will be having an EMG on August 21 and have negative blood work for MG, but my Neuro still suspects it based on my symptoms. I have seen mentioned before that people were prescribed Mestinon or other meds before an actual diagnosis to see if it helped. This may have even been used as an indicator for your physician.I'm wondering how many of you were given meds to try before your actual...
  • musical99

Essential oils

Hello everyone,Just wondering if anyone uses essential oils, how they use them and what types of plants/herbs are the best. And what might be toxic for MG?I know that I am dependent on my western medicine but I want to try alternatives to try and balance my health as much as possible but scared to bump the current balance I have achieved with Mestinon.I have heard of a health alternative called...
  • Well, this Wed. 10/19 I am finally getting my second hip surgery.  It has been delayed about 9 months because of a MG diagnosis and related prednisone taper.  I am a little concerned, but my neuro says I am stable, and he has no issues with the surgery.  They will be doing a spinal, and I am hoping not to need any pain killers that can effect breathing.....just in case...  Has anyone else had...
  • Hi all, I joined this website because I have difficulties with some of my symptoms. Most important is my- what I call- trunk weakness. A little info: I have MG for 7 years now, anti achr positive, currently on mestinon, prednisone, ivig. No thymoma.I am not sure if it is caused by MG. If it is indeed muscle weakness. Maybe it's something neurological (not muscles but more coming from the brain),...
  • I have seen no benefit (except relief from double vision) with Prednisone and Mestinon and the side effects have been horrid.  I see the neuro-opthalmalogist tomorrow and hope he doesn't want to up the meds. Or do I hope he will and I'll see better days? 
  • Keepsonablessin

Sore neck

Has anyone had luck with creams or patches for muscle pain when your neck doesn't want to hold up your head? 
  • AbegailS

Partial Sternotomy

Good Evening Everyone! Saying "Hello"  from Toronto! Hope all is well with everyone and that these days will be easier on all of us!  I met with the Thoracic Surgeon today who advised me that a Partial Sternotomy would be the best recourse for my Thymoma and Myasthenia Gravis.  After reading the Patient Information to prepare me for the surgery and after reading some dialogue on Daily Strength...
  • whales86

Anesthesia precautions

hi. I can't find it but isn't there oercations we need to make sure the   Anesthesiologist needs to now with the MG 
  • maggie17mich

Thymoma + Myasthenia Gravis

Hi guys! I was recently diagnosed with MG and needing some advice. I turned 21 in August and have stayed away from the bars being that I am on 20mg of Prednisone every other day and taking 60mg of Mestinon every 4 hours. I went out for a drink last night and my entire body became covered in red blotches after one drink. Is this "normal"? I am having a really hard time with this disease and...
  • bayoucrazy

New to MG

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago with MG.  I was 51 at the time and being a female it wasn't as common, or so I was told.  At the time I thought I had a stroke because my right eyelid drooped to almost closing.  My question is about muscle weakness.  Does it come on gradually or all of a sudden?  Will I just be walking and perhaps fall down??  I am a middle school teacher and am 1 1/2...