MCTD Support Group

Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) or Sharp's syndrome is a human autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the body. MCTD combines features of polymyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and systemic scleroderma and is thus considered an overlap syndrome. MCTD commonly causes joint pain/swelling, Raynaud phenomenon, muscle inflammation, and scarring of the skin of the hand.

0 Online
  • Dana0131

Hello, I was officially diagnosed 2 years ago MCTD  presenting SS and SLE. This past year my disease took over my life. Lost alot of people,  because they are afraid of asking me about the disease and family try to understand but don't,  no matter how much information I provide. I had coworkers point in my face and tell me my nursing position is not a fmla job. My job is forcing me to use all...
  • jessiT

Hi everyone. I haven't been on for a long time but decided to come back to the forum. I was on plaquenil but had eye issues so the dr put me on methotrexate. It scares me to death to take it. Has anyone else taken it and if so does it really make a difference.
  • Katalyzt

Okay, so I finally bit the bullet, and shelled out $300 for an appointment with a cannabis doctor her in California.This is basically one of the few totally legit doctors in my area of SoCal.  There are no Jimi Hendrix posters on the wall.  You meet with two doctors for an hour-- they are a bit more informal than most doctors, but it's all business.  They looked up MCTD, and were doing...
  • NancyDancy

Frequent UTIs.....anyone else?

I am so incredibly frustrated!!!   I am gong on my 7th round of antibiotics in just a few months.   I keep on testing pos. for a specific Urinary Tract Infection, called "Group B Strep".   If anyone else gets a lot of UTIs, please please please tell me how your Doctors are dealing with it.   Mine are mostly giving up as they can't understand it.  They just keep giving me antibiotics and I...
  • CarolG

I am new, too

I am Carol and I am new as well.  I recently got a diagnosis of MCTD and I am in the process of trying to get my medications started.  I have really bad joint pain and tried to take Plaquinil and had an allergic reaction to it.I wonder what kind of a diet we need.  If anyone knows please let me know. I am afraid as this is a new diagnosis and I am afraid.I am glad there is a support group for...
  • speechteacher1

Swallowing woes

Hi there friends--Just wanted to get some perspective on swallowing issues. I think I have trouble with food feeling stuck & taking a long time to go down my esophagus. Only it due any happen all the time. I finally got to have a swallow study & of course my swallows were perfect! So that was weird and I'm not sure they are grasping the fact that I'm getting inklings that perhaps this is the...
  • brunob

pain after angiogram

Hi All,I had to have an angio done last week as part of the work up for lung transplant, and I am having some serious back pain. I had the radial procedure so they didn't use the groin area and I didn't have to lay prone for 2 hours, so I am not sure why I am having this pain ( a really deep ache over my mid to low back). Is this just an over reaction to pain from the mctd or the procedure. My...
  • Meera

Hi, all, I'm new here, too

I was diagnosed a couple of years ago, but only just found this place. My MCTD manifests in severe fatigue, severe Raynaud's (getting worse again, because it's the fall), hypermotility of joints and very thin and sensitive skin, calluses on my fingertips and feet, and joint pain (lower back, ankles, hands). I'm 43, and also have depression, thyroid disease, high blood pressure... you should see...
  • JayleneB

To much research

Of course when I was diagnosed a year ago I googled and read everything I could find on MCTD and it seems everywhere I turn there's something telling me if Im lucky 80% of us diagnosed will live ten years after the diagnosis. Scary thought and it seems no one knows about this disease so its a 20 min discussion on what it is. It seems no one understands the pain the frustration the pure exhaustion...
  • brunob

mosquito bites and joint pain

I was wondering if anyone else had this happen with a bite? I had a small mosquito bite on my knuckle and it was a little itchy like normal and 3 days later my knuckle is slightly swollen and stiff with some pain. I don't usually have any significant reation to bites beyond itchiness. Is this just a fluke because it was on a joint or is it something to be concerned about?thanks for any input
  • brunob

I am finally able to access the new site!! I had to upgrade soooo many programs just to be able to post anything, I was able to log in but that was all. I hope everyone is still here.
  • MToennis

New site

What a pain! I am finding this hard to find anything. Plus, I have had to change my password twice! And why is the type so small on the posting area but so huge on the reading area? A couple of days I could not even get on due to the upgrade. It sure will take awhile to get used to this!
  • MToennis

For you girls out there!

I have been having lots of issues with my bladder. I keep having pain even though everything shows that the gentemyacin shot and daily macrobid pills have knocked out the infection I have had for the past 6 months. So last visit to the urologist, I had a test where the put a probe in my vagina and bladder and all around my butt. Then, they filled my bladder with water and had me stand up, cough...
  • smv

I'm new

i just got diagnosed with MCTD and it's scary. The year before i has been tested but the rheumatologist has said it was boderline positive and sent me home. This time I guess it's real positive. Reading the information about this disease online only intensifies my fears. The symptoms i have are fatigue some muscle aches when I get up from a chair and joint pain in knees at times.  An ultrasound...
  • Hazele3474

Ok so here is my story I suffer from all over pain went to my family dr and she had me get blood work done all that came back was a postive ana ok short story ended up having lyme got treated ! Still having brain fog and pain went back to my rheumatologist had more blood work done still ana positve but lyme came back negative so that's gone. But still very tired and in pain so she put me on...