MCTD Support Group

Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) or Sharp's syndrome is a human autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the body. MCTD combines features of polymyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and systemic scleroderma and is thus considered an overlap syndrome. MCTD commonly causes joint pain/swelling, Raynaud phenomenon, muscle inflammation, and scarring of the skin of the hand.

0 Online
  • Sunshine75

Another Question

Sorry I have so many questions...so, I was just diagnosed but am not able to get in with a rheumatologist until the end of June. I was talking to a friend who's daughter has MCTD and she said that her daughter when she was first diagnosed went through a lot of lab work, ultrasounds and tests. I have summer with my two boys coming up and was wondering..what was your first few months like after...
  • Sunshine75

Skin Question

Hi-This is all new to me so I have a few questions. Does anyone experience the problem with bruises that never fully go away? I have a bruise from years ago that still shows a pigment change on my skin. Also, do you struggle with sun issues? I got a little red on one area of my arm over a week ago. Certainly not a major burn in any way. What I can't understand is why the skin is still the same...
  • my2boys0610

Confused. New patient of possible mctd

Hi everybody. So here's a little background. When I was 16 I was diagnosed with something called ehlers danlos syndrome. Had quite a few dislocations of my knees and shoulders. Chronic pain was pretty typical. The past year or so other things started to happen that mostly I attributed to my eds. Stomach pains and the constant pins in needles feeling in my hands and feet and freezing feet and...
  • Newby2MCTD

MCTD - Dr Not Convinced

Ever have one of those days? You go back to your doctor because a set of symptoms you are having is getting worse not better and you want it checked out. Then the doctor tells you it can't really be blah blah blah because you don't have this specific symptom. But you know the pain is different and getting worse. The doctor says they want you be checked by this other doctor and then casually...
  • Sunshine75

New Diagnosis

Hello-I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease due to bloodwork that came back as high in RNP antibodies and high in ANA antibodies. I am probably not getting that all correct. I am so glad to have found this community of others struggling with this. I have had severe edema in my legs and feet for 16 years. All I was ever told was that it was due to my weight. Problem was I ate fairly...
  • AriaEben

Questions

Hello All,I am a 39 year old mom of two, recently diagnosed with the early stages of MCTD.  I see my rheumatologist for the first time since my diagnosis on Monday (5.8.17) and would love some guidance on what questions I should be asking her?  I appreciate any and all feedback.  Thank you!
  • MCTD1983

Hi Everyone...New to group...

It's been really useful to hear many of your stories - there's nothing like knowing you're not quite the only one. I'm 33, Male, from the UK and most of my life i have had gut issues, rashes, muscle pain, freezing cold hands that become dry and bleed etc. but was mainly shooed away for being a hypochondriact. It wasn't until December 2014, just turned 31 that a physio sent me to a Rheumy who...
  • Bellaboo414

New Diagnosis

Good morning. I believe I have had mctd for many years, with it progressing to a "real" diagnosis 6 months ago. I was told my fatigue was CFS. I have processed to hip pain, shoulder pain arm and hand tingling and tongue paresthesia.  The exhaustion is unremiiting. I have been so exhausted and hurting, I gave up the gym I cannot tolerate prednisone nor plaquenil. I am afraid of methotrexate and...
  • Newby2MCTD

MCTD symptoms - female reproductive issues

Are there any specific MCTD affects on the female reproductive system? 
  • Newby2MCTD

Newly Diagnosed and wondering

Hi. I'm a working mom of 3 in my mid'40s who has just recently diagnosed with MCTD. The last 7 months of my life have been like a blur with numerous doctor,  emergency room visits and tests. It seemed to have started in October with a sudden inability to breathe or talk without coughing - a dry cough.  It hurt to breathe. Antibiotics for bronchitis did not help, albuterol inhalers did not help,...
  • Hi - I was wondering if anyone has tried HBOT? Does it work for you?My brain fog, blood flow, circulation is really grinding to a halt & i'm willing to give anything a go. Any experiences appreciated.Hope you all are keeping strong x
  • Ephesians2

Muscle spasms?

Does anyone get frequent daily muscle spasms/twitching? My BMP levels are normal, I've been eating bananas and drinking Gatorade everyday to ensure electrolytes are balanced and potassium is ok. Just wanted to know if anyone else with MCTD experiences this? I just started taking prednisone along with plaquenil but this was prior to taking any meds (recently diagnosed) but showing symptoms of MCTD...
  • Kolulu

So thankful I found you!

Hi there! It is such a relief to find this board - although I'm sorry you all are in this same boat! I'm sure you can relate that it is difficult to talk to others who don't have MCTD because they don't understand because they don't see blood coming out of our eyeballs. LOL! I am a 44 year old woman and have had MCTD for 6 years. I've tried Prednisone, but had a horrible reaction in my lower...
  • shimmergirlmua

New to the group

Hi, I'm 31 and I was diagnosed with MCTD about 5 years ago or so. I've had a lot of issues since I was about 22 but have gotten dramatically worse every year since. I can only describe it by feeling like a 90 year old woman all day, every day. My symptoms mostly include, pain and aches in my whole body, stiffness, weak muscles, weak immune system, joint pain, numbness in toes, fatigue, TMJ,...
  • Katalyzt

Hope

Okay, so I finally bit the bullet, and shelled out $300 for an appointment with a cannabis doctor her in California.This is basically one of the few totally legit doctors in my area of SoCal.  There are no Jimi Hendrix posters on the wall.  You meet with two doctors for an hour-- they are a bit more informal than most doctors, but it's all business.  They looked up MCTD, and were doing...