MCTD Support Group

Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) or Sharp's syndrome is a human autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the body. MCTD combines features of polymyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and systemic scleroderma and is thus considered an overlap syndrome. MCTD commonly causes joint pain/swelling, Raynaud phenomenon, muscle inflammation, and scarring of the skin of the hand.

0 Online
  • Bellaboo414

New Diagnosis

Good morning. I believe I have had mctd for many years, with it progressing to a "real" diagnosis 6 months ago. I was told my fatigue was CFS. I have processed to hip pain, shoulder pain arm and hand tingling and tongue paresthesia.  The exhaustion is unremiiting. I have been so exhausted and hurting, I gave up the gym I cannot tolerate prednisone nor plaquenil. I am afraid of methotrexate and...
  • awomanofclass

Itchy Skin and Skin Discoloration

Hello all, I was diagnosed with MCTD about 8 years ago and it has been an ongoing struggle. Some days are better than others and the best way to manage is to take it one day at a time. I recognized that stress really triggers flares and on days when you feel decent or at least half way good, you should go for a walk or try to get some form of exercise. As of late, I have been struggling with...
  • Mag18

New and a little worried

Hey all, I just joined the group. I'm 26, I was diagnosed about a year ago and have been on plaquenil 2x per day. At first it helped a lot, over the last few months my symptoms have gotten worse. Worse pain in joints and stiffness, severe muscle weakness that comes and goes, Raynoids, extreme fatigue, hot flashes, intolerance to hot and cold...I'm trying so hard to work and support myself and go...
  • Nat82

Appearance

Hi! I'm new to the group. I've read many posts so far. I can relate to most, unfortunately. I am having a symptom with my fat cells. They were inflamed and attacking themselves in the layer just below my skin. I've had several lump biopsies with no real results, except inflammation. I since started taking plaquenil (a year and half ago), which has helped to calm many of the symptoms I had been...
  • mengland0312

Scared

I had some blood work done. My b12 came back elevated so my doctor ran more blood work. I had a positive RNP. Everything else was normal. He is sending me to a rheumatologist because he thinks I could have MCTD. I googled it and it has scared me to death. I am really freaking out. I don't really have any symptoms besides fatigue and muscle pain. I have a special needs child and have to life her...
  • Wisper

Methotrexate

I've been taking Methotrexate for 6 months now, along with folic acid. I opted for the weekly injection as I am terrible with remembering to take pills everyday. My rheumatologist said that side effects would be less intense with the injection as it bypasses the digestive system. Unfortunately that's not how it turned out for me, I am quite sick for 2 to 3 days after I take the methotrexate. I...
  • JayleneB

feeling like a failure

The fatigue and muscle weakness is something I have been dealing with for years. I wish some days that massage therapy was covered under my insurance it feels like all the blood has left the muscles and they just ache. It's SO DIFFICULT to try to explain to someone why you are so sore n tired when you look what people would consider"normal" on the outside I try to explain it is a war zone inside...
  • Mag18

Medications??

What are people doing to help with fatigue? Muscle weakness?? 
  • NancyDancy

Frequent UTIs.....anyone else?

I am so incredibly frustrated!!!   I am gong on my 7th round of antibiotics in just a few months.   I keep on testing pos. for a specific Urinary Tract Infection, called "Group B Strep".   If anyone else gets a lot of UTIs, please please please tell me how your Doctors are dealing with it.   Mine are mostly giving up as they can't understand it.  They just keep giving me antibiotics and I...
  • alwezonmymimd

Swallowing problem, neuropathy & more

Hi, I just had my first episode of not being able to swallow. It felt like the food was in the lobby waiting for the elevator, but the doors wouldn't open. It only lasted a few seconds and then I was ok so I didn't panic. Some people here have dysphasia so maybe you can tell me what should I do besides have water? I've always had a slight hesitation in swallowing and choked sometimes on food....
  • CarolG

I am new, too

I am Carol and I am new as well.  I recently got a diagnosis of MCTD and I am in the process of trying to get my medications started.  I have really bad joint pain and tried to take Plaquinil and had an allergic reaction to it.I wonder what kind of a diet we need.  If anyone knows please let me know. I am afraid as this is a new diagnosis and I am afraid.I am glad there is a support group for...
  • 11_2016

Advice

Hello!Just looking for some suggestions/advice for my follow up (2nd appt) with rheumatologist in a couple of days. I have noticed the past month my fatigue has been absolutely overwhelmimg. I feel like I just can't think... like I forget so easily.. cannot focus. This seems to me to be the most concerning symptom. The body and joint aches do not seem to concern me as much. Also, it seems my...
  • Aeliana

New Here

Hello all, I am new to this site and to the disease. My daughter is 15 years old and has been Diagnosed with MCTD by a Rheumatoloigist. I have been searching the internet for answers, and am quite honestly terrified. My baby girl is otherwise a gorgeous, incredibly smart, normal teenager. She has so much to live for and I am terrified that this disease will take that from her. Please tell me that...
  • MToennis

Loop monitor

I went to the hospital today and had a cardiac loop monitor put in. I am sore but hopeful this will help me with my heart rhythm issues. Hope everyone else is well.Mary Ann
  • Katalyzt

Hope

Okay, so I finally bit the bullet, and shelled out $300 for an appointment with a cannabis doctor her in California.This is basically one of the few totally legit doctors in my area of SoCal.  There are no Jimi Hendrix posters on the wall.  You meet with two doctors for an hour-- they are a bit more informal than most doctors, but it's all business.  They looked up MCTD, and were doing...