Esophageal Cancer Support Group

Esophageal cancer is malignancy of the esophagus. There are various subtypes. Esophageal tumors usually lead to dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), pain and other symptoms, and is diagnosed with biopsy. Small and localized tumors are treated with surgery, and advanced tumors are treated with chemotherapy, radiotherapy or combinations.

0 Online
0 Online
  • Hello everyone, I'm waiting for a revision of my esophagectomy, mine was done six years ago yesterday and i have devwloped what the surgeons here are calling a rare condition, I actually know very little about it and am waiting to hear from a surgeon in Toronto. I haven't started all the symptoms they say i will have , but if i don't have the surgery i've been told i will get very sick and die of...
  • I'm scared to death for my husband. I want to be strong and stay positive for him. I just don't know what to expect. He's been sick for 2 months and lost about 20 pounds. He got diagnosed with cancer tumor Thursday and we go for PET scan this week. What can I expect? Anyone know what I should ask the doctor? diet?. I'm freaking out...
  • I am new here but need some advice please. Years ago I took Carafate with Tagamet...the dr had me dissolve Carafate in a little water to make like a 'slurry' and it worked so well.I just had an endoscopy and biopsies and I have esophageal erosion grade 'C' which is bad, biopsies were ok. I asked the gastro dr if I could get the Carafate along with the Prilosec and he said "oh no Carafate is way...
  • WhiteDolphin

Barrett's

I recently found out I have small segment Barretts esophagus from my EGD done I May 2015.Previous to that my last EGD was in July 2011, and later learned that the stomach biopsies were positive for Focal Intestinal Metaplasia. When I looked itu p online all I could find was Barrett's and precancer, but this was in my stomach, so....I just ignored it until I finally had the courage to go back in...
  • Hi everyone I am new here. I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus a few months ago. I went to a gastro dr. because I was had had a few cases when I was eating and just about choked. I was also experiencing severe heartburn and still am. I had an endoscopy and that's when he told me. He gave me a prescription for Prilosec and it hasn't worked. He gave me samples of another anti-acid and that...
  • Does anyone have suggestions on dealing with the bile back-ups that happen during the night? It has been 3 years since my surgery and I now have an adjustable bed and the episodes have lessened, but when I awaken with bile backing up and aspirating it is horrible. I spend the next couple hours throwing up, trying to catch my breath and the next few days dealing with a cutting cough. Like I...
  • Hello everyone,Was wondering if anyone has heard of the above condition. I'm told it's very rare after esophagectomy and it is life threatening. So far no surgeon I've met with has done this surgery and I have s big decision to make . Have the surgery and take my chances ( they can't promise anything). Or life the way I am and continue to lose weight , I will start vomiting and aspirating more...
  • I have never told this story, not to my wife or doctor, I was hiking or day walking, no matter, there was a voice in my head, my voice, but not from me, that told me, Trouble was ahead, I have never forgot that, I choose to share this with the board,
  • Hi, Some of you may remember me. My sister died from esophageal cancer last year, just two years after her diagnosis. Many of you were very helpful to me at the time, and I shared much needed information from you with my sister. Thank you. I wanted to let you know that sometimes I go out into my yard (we have an acre lot) and just pull weeds while I'm thinking about cancer and the families it...
  • jaycc

list of EC Survivors

Hi, its good you found a place to talk about this tough cancer. My husband was Stage IV, with mets to liver.If you ever want to read EC Survivor stories, there is a list of 100 EC survivors, sending a message of hope athttp://www.ecaware.org/ecsurvivor/
  • So far, things have been going well for my husband. After 3 weeks of daily radiation and 3 Chemo treatments he is feeling pretty good. Doc says he will lose his hair but so far, no symptoms. He has not felt sick and continues to have a pretty good appetite. God is truely sitting on his shoulder and I pray he watches over our family through this iwhole process and gives us good results in the end...
  • prayinglots

good labs today

My husband had routine labs today, and all looks good. The oncologist said the blood platelets are appearing larger, apparently the chemo does makes them smaller for a while. He feels good and we are very grateful all is going well. He is 2 1/2 years out from diagnosis, surgery about 26 months ago. I Will say it again I am feeling very grateful.
  • capergal56

No cancer!!

Hello friends, I haven't been very active on this site because I have always felt as if I didn't belong. Everyone seemed to be having such a rough time physically after the surgery and I did well. My problems stemmed more from the emotional effects of the surgery and the lack of support I received.As we all know getting a cancer diagnosis and enduring this surgery is very emotionally disturbing...
  • anthropos

It's back

The biospy from my endocope came it. The tumor back. This time it's in the stomach. Need more prayers.
  • anthropos

A New Wrinkle

I am not sure if this is EC related or not.Over the past 2 weeks I have noticed weakening in the muscles of my right thigh. I am having trouble with walking and stagger. I have reverted to using a cane which I was doing for the first couple of months after surgery.I will be making an appointment with my primary care doctor to see if this may be EC related or if it is something entirely different.