Esophageal Cancer Support Group

Esophageal cancer is malignancy of the esophagus. There are various subtypes. Esophageal tumors usually lead to dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), pain and other symptoms, and is diagnosed with biopsy. Small and localized tumors are treated with surgery, and advanced tumors are treated with chemotherapy, radiotherapy or combinations.

0 Online
  • allieollie

Help please

hi my dad has an esophagectomy early November 2016. Before the operation he was still working part time his mind was very sharp he is now 79. Since this surgery he has had many problems he is now over the awful cough and is wAlking every day with a push. He can only eat liquid food as the valve leaving the stomach is partially covered and the surgeon said he was not strong enough for more...
  • allieollie

Esophagectomy

Hi I would be very greatfull for any help please. My dad developed oesophagus cancer it was early stages as he had barrats and he knew something was wrong. He had an esophagectomy early November and they removed the small tumour. A week after the operation he had a blockage in the stomach so had more surgery. He then had a balloon dialation. Also he had pneumonia twice has been in and out of...
  • deleted_user

I need help with my father's cancer struggle.

He made it through the chemo and radiation. And that's about it. My father used to be a big man with a bigger mind. Even though the cancer's gone, my dad isn't back to where he needs to be mentally or physically. He started out around 350 pounds... He's down to 149 and keeps shrinking every day. He talks a good game and he thinks that he's doing good. At least he tells people that. I just needs...
  • Harby

Debilitating Nausea 2 weeks after surgery

My husband had surgery Jan 10th and was told he could start with liquids in Jan 25th. Clear liquids to soft foods went well. Then, on the 8th day after cleared to take food orally, he got debilitating nausea and has been hospitalized for 5 days. They are giving him Phenergan, Zofran, Morphine for his headache and the nausea persists. He had one good period yesterday from morning til around 2 PM....
  • thyroid101now

Hoarse Voice

Anyone have a problem with their voice being hoarse before being diagnosed?
  • CMI

Tips & Tricks for Keeping Fluid Down

I'm new to treatment - diagnosed this month and just started chemo/radiation.  I'm stage three but I'm fairly well blocked - can not get much fluid down.  The fluid tends to get backed up and cause pain.  I have tried 5 min drinking and that works some.  I'm on a full liquid diet.  The hope is that the Chemo/Radiation will reduce this and keeping liquid down will improve.  However, right...
  • daveseavy

New To The Group

Hi everyone.  I'm stage 4 esophageal cancer, which means I'm terminal.  I have two or three months left to live. I've been through chemo/radiation, and both failed.  I was late stage 3 at the time of my diagnosis.  The cancer has now spread to my left kidney, my stomach, bones, and spine, so am in a great deal of pain most of the time.  Lately I haven't been getting much sleep due to being...
  • Nikhil

Esophagus Cancer has spread to Lungs

Hi All, my mother who was diagnosed with esophagus cancer almost 2 years back was been treated in India. She has gone thrugh series of kemo therapy and currently the cancer has spreaded to her lungs and due to which water has started creating in lungs which makes her uneasy to breathe. We have tried all the best possible option available in india (Tata memorial hospital & Dr Advani ).Can anybody...
  • bella479

Help-Esophogeal Erosion Stage 'C'

I am new here but need some advice please. Years ago I took Carafate with Tagamet...the dr had me dissolve Carafate in a little water to make like a 'slurry' and it worked so well.I just had an endoscopy and biopsies and I have esophageal erosion grade 'C' which is bad, biopsies were ok. I asked the gastro dr if I could get the Carafate along with the Prilosec and he said "oh no Carafate is way...
  • lisa1235

My husband just got diagnosed...

I'm scared to death for my husband. I want to be strong and stay positive for him. I just don't know what to expect. He's been sick for 2 months and lost about 20 pounds. He got diagnosed with cancer tumor Thursday and we go for PET scan this week. What can I expect? Anyone know what I should ask the doctor? diet?. I'm freaking out...
  • WhiteDolphin

Barrett's

I recently found out I have small segment Barretts esophagus from my EGD done I May 2015.Previous to that my last EGD was in July 2011, and later learned that the stomach biopsies were positive for Focal Intestinal Metaplasia. When I looked itu p online all I could find was Barrett's and precancer, but this was in my stomach, so....I just ignored it until I finally had the courage to go back in...
  • trixiedaisy

Barrett's Esophagus ?

Hi everyone I am new here. I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus a few months ago. I went to a gastro dr. because I was had had a few cases when I was eating and just about choked. I was also experiencing severe heartburn and still am. I had an endoscopy and that's when he told me. He gave me a prescription for Prilosec and it hasn't worked. He gave me samples of another anti-acid and that...
  • lovinbingrammy

problem with bile back up

Does anyone have suggestions on dealing with the bile back-ups that happen during the night? It has been 3 years since my surgery and I now have an adjustable bed and the episodes have lessened, but when I awaken with bile backing up and aspirating it is horrible. I spend the next couple hours throwing up, trying to catch my breath and the next few days dealing with a cutting cough. Like I...
  • deleted_user

before, I knew i had cancer

I have never told this story, not to my wife or doctor, I was hiking or day walking, no matter, there was a voice in my head, my voice, but not from me, that told me, Trouble was ahead, I have never forgot that, I choose to share this with the board,
  • Linda65401

Thinking about all of you

Hi, Some of you may remember me. My sister died from esophageal cancer last year, just two years after her diagnosis. Many of you were very helpful to me at the time, and I shared much needed information from you with my sister. Thank you. I wanted to let you know that sometimes I go out into my yard (we have an acre lot) and just pull weeds while I'm thinking about cancer and the families it...