Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis Support Group

Crohn's disease is a systemic inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) of unknown cause, that results in chronic inflammation of the intestinal tract. It can affect the entire gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus, and can also cause complications outside of the gastrointestinal tract. There is no known medical or surgical cure for Crohn's disease, but there are many medical treatments available.

0 Online

Newly diagnosed and so scared

Hi all

In early July I got bronchitis and was put on prednisone for 5 days. After 3 days of taking it I noticed a lot of blood on wiping and My GP told me to stop the prednisone and never take it again. A few days later runny tummy with mucus started. I was put on the antibiotics Cipro, flagyl, Kantrexil and told to use Smecta (antidiarrheal with diocmectite clay) to help firm up my stools. Nothing helped. f

For a month and a half I suffered with lower back pain, cramping, nausea and runny tummy multiple times a day with mucus - no more blood and lost 10 kilograms. The doc did full blood count, blood sugar, hemocrit and all was normal so he said next step see a GI.

I was terrified I had cancer and got an appointment in Early September. I had a colonoscopy and the GI said he found sores / ulcers and did 3 biopsies of them. Straight after the scope while I was in recovery he said its Ulcerative colitis. The next day he called me and he said hes not sure it is UC but an unspecified colitis - perhaps a form of post infectious IBS that caused these sores and ulcers and I must just take prednisone for a few days and if it helps great and if it doesnt I have not lost anything. I cant take prednisone according to my GP.

I am scared of the UC diagnosis  as it is such a terrible disease and its lifelong and progressive, but this diagnosis has given me absolutely no answers on what I actually have or on what treatment options I have.  

I dont know what to think, I am really worried!

Replies

rmb
rmb

Did you tell your GI doc about your GP's concern with prednisone? He may think item benefits outweigh the risk.

Sorry you don't have an affirmative answer. It's not unusual for it to sometimes take time to get a diagnosis. I would just try to take it a day at a time. I assume you have a follow up scheduled with your GI so he can keep an eye on things. The good thing is you are under a GI care which is what you want.
JeanCarlin
JeanCarlin

Make sure you explain to the GI what happened the last time that you were on prednisone.
Nobody likes to be diagnosed with this disease but it's not a death sentence, and you aren't sure yet so try not to worry too much, ( that couod make things worse) there are plenty of different drugs to try to help you feel better. Best of luck, hope you feel better soon.
Bless
Bless

Bless 09/09/2017
Hello everyone I'm 33 years old anyway on August12 of this year I had this pain in my leg that felt like a charley horse smh my husband try to rub it out it stop for awhile but then it started backup again anyway so August the 16 I decided to go to the emergency room cause I start limping I gets there explain what's wrong they did the d-diimer test it was high 1600 so they said we think you got blood clots in your leg so they begin to give me shots in my stomach got admitted in the ultrasound my leg didn't see nothing did a CT scan found it DVT so they said it might have travel we have to scan your lungs Vascular found a small one in the lower lube mind you know short of breath no chest pain normal breathing vitials great Thank God he is Able back to the story I went on a Wednesday I was suppose to get released on Thursday I had problems with my insurance so stay another night Friday came still insurance problems until 8pm Friday night my insurance paid for my medicine I said to myself the devil is a liar and I rebuke you Satan cause I'm going home today smh im trying to be normal I broke down and cried praying to my lord just lead the way and touch the blood Amen they still trying to find out whats the cause but I believe it came from sitting down at work for 4 hours straight 5days a week and I meant to mention it to the doctor but I was so in shock I forgot but I have a appointment with the hematology October 2
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • OpheliaRising

How can I be supportive...

My best friend entered back into a very absuive (mentally, emotionally, and physically) relationship with one of her Ex's. This absuer has caused Bestie to be demoted at work and forced her to drive her car while it was overheating which caused her to blow her motor. (It was a "you better get to my place by such and such time or ELSE" situation her abuser put her in.) This person has driven a...
  • Pessimisticoptimist

Help

So I recently got with this guy and he had a rocky past with his ex. They were together 5 years and she left him for someone else. Well now she keeps calling and texting him and not leaving him alone and 80% of the time he doesn't respond. But he will respond some of the time. He tells me he doesn't want to be with her but yet messages it seems a bit sketchy such as telling her good morning or he...