Cerebral Palsy Support Group

Cerebral palsy or CP is the most common childhood physical disability. It is a permanent physical condition that affects movement. There is no cure for cerebral palsy, but various forms of therapy can help a person with the disorder to function more effectively. If you or a loved one has cerebral palsy, join the group to share your experience or get advice from others.

0 Online
  • dkrank

Could CRISPR Help?

I was recently reading an article about the gene editing technique CRISPR and the site (http://www.abclawcenters.com/crispr/) suggested that CRISPR may be used in the future to treat CP. It's unclear how much it will help, but it could be worth keeping an eye on? 
  • BeautyinStruggles

CP and Antidepressants

So my depression has become a problem again and last week I was put on Zoloft as an antidepressant by the nurse at my college. and hours after the first dose I ended up in the ER because apparently some antidepressants can cause muscle spasms, and with my muscles so tight already it got so bad I could barely walk on my own. Needless to say now we're not sure what to try. I was wondering if...
  • sashaluv

hey im a  teen with cp
  • Hockeyfan0315

Just joined........

My name is Jaime and I'm new here. I'm 32 years old and live alone. My cerebral palsy has become more challenging here lately. Does any else have a hard time explaining to friends or loved ones how your cp has  changed you physically as you have gotten older? I have started using a walker the last 4 months because walking distances has become more challenging. People seem to think I'm giving up...
  • tommy59

Mild CP and getting older

Hi! I am new to the group and am busting at the seams. I'm 56 and everything is going fast. First question for now.I work out, strengthening, 3 times a week. Then I ache the rest of the time. I can barely walk and just hurt. My thighs are the worse culprit.I believe strenthening them makes me hurt and hard to walk. push me, pull me! Is this a problem for people?
  • Hello,My name is Ralph, and I have Spastic CP. I will be 50 in October. I am in an electric wheelchair, and have a significant speech impairment.About 3.5 years ago, I got a baclofen pump. I have mixed feelings about it.About two years ago, I had to get an indwelling catheter, as out of the blue I could not urinate anymore. I am sexually active, so I got a supra public cath.Over the last few...
  • deleted_user

Medical marijuana card

Can someone with cerebral palsy Get a medical marijuana card?
  • teinte411

Argireline and GABA

I just wanted to share something I've been trying for about the past week or two. I was doing some research on the internet for treatments that help CP.First off, I came across Argireline. It comes in a skin cream form and is supposed to be mainly for the face. It works like botox, but not as strong, it only penetrates the first few layers of the skin, unlike botox which goes deeper. (I've...
  • katali

For some background about me, please read my first post titled New to the forum - Katali. I am working on developing an organization whose mission is focused on making real, effective changes for those with Cerebral Palsy regarding therapy, how people are treated by the medical establishment and the public in general, and the lack of research funding...actually the seemingly lack of support,...
  • msmandy0912

Gastro problems

hi everyone,Im a 30 y/o woman with mild cp. lately ive been experiencing more gi problems (slower motility, ibs, gerd), my gi thinks i have a hiatal hernia. anyone else experiencing gi issues too?thanks ;)
  • walksindarkness

Symptoms and "Bouts"

We all know that our CP gives us a variety of symptoms, and know that "some days are good days, and some days are bad" and that we just have to live with it. But the problem I am having, is that ever since I turned 40, I am having more frequent bad days that seem to come in "bouts" which leave me in pain and exhaustion.I have mild spastic triplegia, which mostly effects my right leg. Now some...
  • kimjones

I've been thinking about something. I understand with CP it effects different people. Some of us don't leave home much etc. I'm not asking for anyone to sign up, but if there was a video meeting for all the handicaps to join, would you find that interesting or not?
  • rhiebert

Bladder problems help please

I don't know if my hoarder problem is related to my cerebral palsy or not so I thought I should was for help here.I use to not have bathroom problems at all but once I was somewhere between 12 and 14 years old I began having trouble pooping and have to pee almost every hour and little comes out. I never have to go during the night though. I want it to be back to the way it used to be. Should I...
  • Hi,Around 3 months ago i had a botox and now its wearing out and my physio therapist is pushing me too much and not listening to me when I tell her my limit is reached. My body is aching almost all the time due to this even when I'm just sitting and I get upset and irritated very easily .Pls give me some advice on how to deal with the above issues
  • katali

New to the forum - Katali

Hi All,I just found this group yesterday and after reading through some of the posts back to the first one, I decided to join. After reading many posts on this forum yesterday, the discussions echoed a lot of what I have dealt with in life. I was going to start a separate blog on a new site but decided to start here first.Some background about me: I am 59-years-old and the oldest of ten. Was...