Career Changes Support Group

This community is dedicated to the difficult challenges of transitioning from one career or job to a new one. Especially as we grow older, it can be very difficult to acquire the skills and relationships and take the financial risk to make the switch.

0 Online
0 Online
  • MendingAgain

More Training

I'm wondering if anyone will read this now. Anyway, I have to go to training again and that was for the big boss. I don't feel I need training brcause I work at a company where everything is unorganized, and really stupid. Nobody knows what the other person is doing, so it's making me mad because I'm wondering if someone is saying something about me to make me look bad. It's just annoying I'm...
  • BammawRobin

Need Advice

Last year I had to quit my job because going through menopause and the terrible side effects of the drugs my dr. had me on wouldn't allow me to work on a computer 8 hrs. straight anymore. Now they won't give me unemployement because I 'quit'. I'm only 49 so too young for SS and doubt I could get SSI. I can function but just not on a consistant enough basis to hold down a job. I'm faking it for...
  • I need help.I have written and rewritten my resume three times in the past few months, and the number of jobs I have applied for (over 125 at this point) and the number of interviews I have (only 8-9) is driving me batty. At this point, I am open to anything that will get me hired/earn money (short of selling organs on the black market...I am not there...not yet). Does anyone know of a service...
  • serenityspeaks

finished school

I graduated last week for LPN...which is only a syepping stone but at 38 with 3 kids going through horrible bteakup thia felt so huge! I wont test till maybe july as its expensive and i am broke but hope in fall to be working aa LPN. I am CNA now have been one forever it seems.
  • I am looking to talk to others about this overwhelming desire to stop working, to retire or change job assignments. Although I am not old enough to get 100% of my social security for 2 more years, I feel 'done.' I am tired of workplace stress, continually higher and higher expectations, of bringing work home, and the striving. Everyday feels threatening and on Sundays I start feeling anxious and...
  • In today's world that's considered a good thing, to some I have read articles to try to justify why I do it, but to be honest, maybe i'm just a loser. I don't know, I am going to coda group, since I have had a messed up life, to try to understand why I do this to myself as far as, working or not working. Ya know. Anyway, long story short, I have applied to a job and they are skeptical, but I...
  • Serenity12

Need Advice Please

I'm currently working full-time in a field that is outside of what I went to school for. There has been a part time job opportunity in my field that has come up, which will allow me to work both my current job and this job at the same time. The only thing is that if I get this new job, it requires 6 weeks of full time training. This will mean that I would need to get time off from my current...
  • soulsearcher83

Learning Web Dev

I've been teaching myself html and also using coursera. I'm an admin asst now and its fine but i crave working with technology and ceativity.I'm 32 and worried I'm too old to enter the field, even though I've heard of people even older going into it. I do look young for my age about 25-27, sometimes younger,Am I worried about nothing?
  • I am 25 years old and recently graduated from college with a bachelors in communications. After graduating I realized that I hate my degree :( there is nothing I want to do with my degree. I have decided that I want to go back to school for nursing ( I was originally going to school for nursing when I first started college, but changed my major because I knew it was a very challenging degree and...
  • So, I have been contemplating doing my own business, my fiance and I are both out of work, but we both have skills and talent, could anyone suggest something that we can do together that would help us draw in an income.Anything, even if you think it sounds ridiculous, imagination and creativity goes a long way. Nothing is unreachable anymore.any ideas would be appreciated.
  • winesar21

New Job

I haven't been on here in awhile but I feel a need to vent as I Feel terrible for exhausting the people I love with all my issues. I started a job about 6 months ago because my other company was being sold. I soon came to realize that I didn't like it and wasn't busy at all. It was in my field of work but I felt lowly at the assistant level. I was so desperate that I started apply for jobs...
  • hi. I would just like to seek advice from you guys. I graduated from nursing six years ago. I tried completing a certain training. I finished it but i was having a hard time. I was so stressed out and the other nurses where noticing that too.I have anxiety disorder and depression (that could be schizoaffective-that was the doctor's impression on me just 2 weeks ago). I attended a second training...
  • I have a coworker who drives me nuts. Long story short he has a crush on me and I told him no not interested. Since then work has become different. We work directly together so it's hard, and this is where I need help....-I've asked for assistance on a few things and he has guided me wrong. So now I just don't ask him for help -Everytime I send an email he keeps replying about something that...
  • I haven't been on this board in a long time, I've worked from home for at least 20 years. The work I've done has finally dried up - something I knew would happen sooner or later because of changes in technology, etc. Unfortunately, there weren't a lot of transferable skills from my old job and I feel like I have very few of the skills most employers are looking for. I could, and probably...
  • a year ago i quit my job and decided to pursue my ''dreams' i followed my gut and invested all my money into different projects and ventures, none of whom paid off. now im broke, barely paying my bills and the thought of having to go back to a regular job is stressing me out so much. I feel like im taking a step back, instead of forward. starting all over again at a job is not something im...