Bipolar Disorder Support Group
Bipolar disorder is not just a single disorder, but a category of mood disorders marked by periods of abnormally high energy and euphoria, often accompanied by bouts of clinical depression. This is the place to talk about your experience with bipolar disorder, learn from others' experiences, and find support.
If you are having cognitive problems, though, you may want to speak to your doc. I got really stupid on topomax and had to go off because of the horrible memory loss and loss of word-finding ability.
I have used an AP with a tranquilizer for mood spikes and that worked well for me since I was very tranquil. I think it's a good idea to talk to your doc.
I think sometimes when a med is working to treat the BP they don't seem to worry too much about how the side effects can mess with us
I had night terrors from a med and it was horrible... I could tell my doc wanted me to just suck it up
I told him after a bit that I couldn't tolerate it anymore and he worked with me ...I came off that med
Sorry you're struggling sweetie... Big hug for ya...x
Pardon my French
Your Pdoc is full of CRAP.
If you go to Crazymeds.com , and look up your meds, it clearly states , dumb down is a side effect
I have to drive 100 miles round trip to see my Pdoc 1 X a month.
But he works with me , and I'll tell you, having a Pdoc that will listen and work with you is important !
And Halterbroke, I was on topomax and I call it (dope)amax because it effects your memory so bad!
Hope you feel better!
I am sorry for what you are going through. I think it's important to trust yourself. I think if the Doc doesn't validate your vantage on this - if he's unwilling to help you experiment with other drugs, then it sounds like another doc might be in order. Maybe you can do some research online or call another doc and find out if that's a common side effect of the meds.
Good luck!!
Mark
Remember you know your body better than the pdoc does. You have to do what feels best for you. I would say if he is not willing to listen to you then you may want to find a new one even if you have to travel.
http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details.asp?brand_name_id=1304&page_no=2
Again I found that when a med is working for the BP they don't want to take you off of it.. I ran into the same thing but I would bring it up again if it's something that's interfering a lot with your life
I think we really need to weigh the pro's and con's
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/latuda-side-effects.html
Not for nothing Seroquel made me foggy and with that forgetful plus emotionally flat.but having said that I was on Topamax 200mg and most know it is dopamax because it can make one well, doppie.
I would look into finding a better pdoc..... sounds like a pompous ass that seems to not care what you are experiencing.