Ankylosing Spondylitis Support Group

Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is a chronic form of arthritis--it is an inflammatory disease that causes joints, cartilage or other fibrous tissue (such as ligaments and tendons) to turn into bone. Ankylosing spondylitis is part of the group of rheumatic diseases. The disease is characterized by progressive stiffness, tenderness, and pain in joints. Pain can be episodic and intensity can vary.

0 Online
  • FadedPhotographs

AS and EDS

So for YEARS and years I've had terrible back pain. My lower back has been out of control for the last 3 years. My previous pcp did bloodwork which came back positive for HLA-B27. Now he dismissed it bc a certain percentage of Caucasian people carry the gene, but this is along with years of lower back pain. The thing is I also have ehlers-danlos syndrome which is a connective tissue disorder...
  • Pheonix8

Have Diet changes helped anyone

I was diagnosed with AS about 5 months ago.  I really want to stay away from too much medication.  Has anyone made changes to their diet and had success?
  • Pheonix8

Anyone there?

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with AS and was wondering if anyone has insight on the Biological treatments.
  • Fly304

Anyone with severe as?

My father, now in 60s, developed severe ankylosing spondilitis in his 20s. I dont know what the treatments are now but in his case he took pain medication and waited around until his spine and neck became completely fused. I guess they didnt think surgery would help and now it would not be possible. Are there any ways to relieve pain/stress on the body? He also has arthritis but he still works a...
  • zeeeb01

AS - I'm new to it

hi, I am currently going through the process of getting a diagnosis of AS. I have had back pain for over a year and my Gp done the blood test for hbla gene which came back positive. Also the MRI on my SI joint shows signs, I consider myself to be quite fit. I ride 100km a week on my bike most weeks. I do yoga weekly, walking regularly and go to the gym 2 times a week. I work in childcare and am...
  • MButterfly

Holy Crap...I need help.

Ok, so I'm female and have other A/I issues. I was dx'd with AS a looong time ago, and because I am female the rheumy thought, "Nope, that's not it." But, I have SEVERE lower back pain and immobility, so my GP did a series of tests...and it's not good. Lower back degeneration and severe arthritis.They're doing further testing for A/S.How many here are female? Did your doctor say anything about...
  • MyLady13

Can I have AS?

My rheumatologist tested me for all autoimmune diseases, but all the signs point to AS. I read that AS has no set blood exam. My spine MRI says it all and all the pain in my lower back, left hand fingers, ribs, feet, ankles, heels, knees, elbows, wrists, I have cervical Spondylosis and the horrible chronic fatigue. Can someone help me?
  • WandaNYC

I don't know what to think but maybe I have AS?

I am aware of AS because my father, who suffered greatly at the end of his life, was diagnosed with this disease in his 70's.  In his case, it had progressed quite far and he had spinal fusion as well as a host of other autoimmunie issues.  He also had Parkinson's.I was my father's advocate and as I read up on AS I noticed certain similarities between us.  I had uveitis in my 20's which no one...
  • ttony12

Hello!!

i just found this group and I have AS. I see the last post us five months ago. I hope I'm reading that incorrect. Does anyone use this group for support? Where is the best online support group. I was doing good for six months and all of sudden bam. My si joints got inflamed and my hip hurts so bad I can hardly walk. Gotta love this disease, I get hit with the pain a few days before my sons fourth...
  • CharlieLola

Strange Pains - Any Ideas?

I am a 55 year old female who sees a rheumatologist for the suspected "diagnosis" of AS.  My history is:  19 years old lower lumbar/sacroiliac pain began suddenly and have remained intermittently all these years, varying in intensity.  At approximately 29 years of age, I began having bouts of uveitis with bloodshot eyes that seemed to happen for no reason.  An opthamologist suggested I get my...
  • miller

AS and HGH

Hi im 29 and iv just been told i have AS and i have been reading up alot and found multiple posts for people treating AS with HGH and i wanted to know if anyone here who has AS or knows someone who does and has used HGH for treatment if they could give me some info on how it helped or didnt help thanks.
  • Hello, My name is Jordan. I've had AS for about 13 years now. About half of my life has been with AS- I am 26. For about a year, I have fought this disease with good success without hardcore pharmacuticals. I primarily rely on stretching, eating healthy, avoiding Gluten, Dairy, Sugar and Red-Meat. I also take Suppliments like Circumin, D3, and Fish-Oils. I am looking to help other with this...
  • mysensitiveheart

Do I belong here ?

I have too many health issues to list for now but was told yesterday i have elevated ANS levels and would have to see a rhuem . This is more then i can bear to think I have an auto-immune disease on top of all my other issues including but not exclusively a frax . spine ..if there is a group more suited to my needs , can someone please direct me there? thanks so much for your kindness and help ....
  • lilawest

New here (and a bit scared)

I was recently diagnosed, about 3-4 months ago, and i told my dr i needed more time to think about her wanting to put me on the (scary for me) injection medication. Finally The pain was so bad i woke up the other morning and decided enough was enough. I agreed to go on ? Enbrel ? if my insurance will cover it, but like all medications there are side effects and that is what scares me the most....
  • I have been having a lot of neck, arm and shoulder pain lately so I talked to my rheumy about it. He ordered an MRI with and without contrast and set me up with an excellent neurosurgeon.The surgeon read the MRI and called me saying that he could fuse C-4and relieve about 70% of the pain. I have already had c-4 through C-7 fused so this would mean more than 1/2 of my neck would be fused. Hard to...