Ankylosing Spondylitis Support Group

Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is a chronic form of arthritis--it is an inflammatory disease that causes joints, cartilage or other fibrous tissue (such as ligaments and tendons) to turn into bone. Ankylosing spondylitis is part of the group of rheumatic diseases. The disease is characterized by progressive stiffness, tenderness, and pain in joints. Pain can be episodic and intensity can vary.

0 Online
0 Online
  • MyLady13

Can I have AS?

My rheumatologist tested me for all autoimmune diseases, but all the signs point to AS. I read that AS has no set blood exam. My spine MRI says it all and all the pain in my lower back, left hand fingers, ribs, feet, ankles, heels, knees, elbows, wrists, I have cervical Spondylosis and the horrible chronic fatigue. Can someone help me?
  • lilawest

New here (and a bit scared)

I was recently diagnosed, about 3-4 months ago, and i told my dr i needed more time to think about her wanting to put me on the (scary for me) injection medication. Finally The pain was so bad i woke up the other morning and decided enough was enough. I agreed to go on ? Enbrel ? if my insurance will cover it, but like all medications there are side effects and that is what scares me the most....
  • MButterfly

Holy Crap...I need help.

Ok, so I'm female and have other A/I issues. I was dx'd with AS a looong time ago, and because I am female the rheumy thought, "Nope, that's not it." But, I have SEVERE lower back pain and immobility, so my GP did a series of tests...and it's not good. Lower back degeneration and severe arthritis.They're doing further testing for A/S.How many here are female? Did your doctor say anything about...
  • I have been having a lot of neck, arm and shoulder pain lately so I talked to my rheumy about it. He ordered an MRI with and without contrast and set me up with an excellent neurosurgeon.The surgeon read the MRI and called me saying that he could fuse C-4and relieve about 70% of the pain. I have already had c-4 through C-7 fused so this would mean more than 1/2 of my neck would be fused. Hard to...
  • Here's the kicker. About a month ago I met with my Rheumy. I asked him if it he was certain I had AS, he shrugged his shoulders. I asked him if I had DISH disease and again he shrugged his shoulders. Both times as though he didn't know. I asked him what was wrong with me and he said that I had osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. I really don't understand this since it was he who diagnosed me with AS...
  • dencrispel

AS and very frustrated

Thursday, September 17, 2015This is all new to me. I just need to get this out. I was diagnosed with AS about 2 years ago. Been having a lot of problems. To begin with it took forever to get the diagnosis. Finally had the blood test HLA-B27 came back positive then had x-rays of the hips, then a MRI of the hips. That is when my Rheumy dr. said I had AS. Was on Enbrel no help. He then put...
  • stepheniee

When is too much not enough??

Last night I couldn't roll over in bed without help because of the pain. This is not an uncommon thing the week before my Remicade infusion. Remicade, Methotrexate for the AS. Fentanyl and Percocet for the pain. Other meds to take care of the panic attacks that come with the pain. I feel like a walking drug store and chemical bomb and still, its not working!!! How much is too much but still not...
  • allenray

enbrel support

Hi im currently waiting for my insurance to approve enbrel i have A.S. and inflammation arthritis and im really scared of all the side effects has anyone here tried or are currently on enbrel? Thanks for any advice or help im new to biologics.
  • ryanolski

Ankylosing spondylitis

In the last 2 years, it's been a very long journey for my family and myself. In may of 2014, I gave birth to my beautiful baby boy. There were slight complications in the delivery room, nothing too serious. After about a month of being a brand new mommy (and loving it) my lower back started feeling as if it needed to be popped (should've gone to the chiropractor), but being busy with the new...
  • mookym2

AS Symptoms?

I will spare you the long medical history other than I was diagnosed within the last year with undifferentiated spondylitis (spelling?). This is the category I was placed in because doctor's haven't found any actual fusing in my back or elsewhere yet. I just started Humira and even with everything I've experienced I find myself still questioning whether or not my diagnosis is accurate. So here...
  • samdavid

baby planning without AS

My bro in law is suffering from AS from his age 15. I dont know whether my wife is a carrier of AS or not. I am worried that my baby will also be suffering from the same.. whats the chance my son will get this. and is there any possibility that i get a baby without a carrier of this gene and also without AS free??Kindly give your opinion
  • koranke

Does this sound like AS?

Hi all,I've been recently diagnosed has having something like AS. I've been suffering from multiple connective tissue issues and have tested positive for HLAB27, though all other tests come back normal. I have regular problems with pain in my knees, heels, elbows, forearms, shoulders and, most recently, both hips. In all cases, the pain seems to be due to tendon problems. I do not have any...
  • stepheniee

New, scared and annoid

I was diagnosed in '13 after a long struggle to get someone to believe I was really in pain. My primary insisted I didn't have AS even though I had the gene and was showing all the signs. I think she had a vested interest in me not having it because she couldn't fix it. I lost a lot of time I could have been in treatment and now the pain is uncontrollable. My rheumatology is talking now about...
  • my bone scan showed major erosion of my si joints but the mri didnt show anything m primary dr said my si joints a shot but the old rheumy said there is nothing wrong with them because the mri said so..... o why would the rheum only use the mri for the finding?
  • aimsb

Is Sacroiliitis always Ankylosing?

I have been diagnosed with sacroiliitis and have been struggling with it for months now. Whenever I try to find support or answers to questions, I google sacroiliitis and results only come up for ankylosing. I couldn't even find a support forum for it - hence being here. I know it is the first symptom and they commonly go together, but my doctor keeps telling me my results (blood and MRI)...