Addison's Disease Support Group

Addison's disease (also known as chronic adrenal insufficiency, or hypocortisolism) is a rare endocrine disorder. It is estimated that it affects about 1 to 2 in 100,000 people. It occurs when the adrenal glands, seated above the kidneys, fail to produce enough of the hormone cortisol and, sometimes, the hormone aldosterone

0 Online
  • spadeweb

Dominos

Seems that I am falling apart, every time I go to the Doctor they say; the test shows that your body not producing enough of this or too much of that... This last week it was low testosterone and Diabetes to add to the list.  Your Hydrocortisone levels need to be raised but your blood sugar level is at diabetic levels so let’s get that down before we do that. We will raise the...
  • learningtolovemack

New diagnosis

I am 16 and my doctor thinks I have Addison's disease.  He is starting me on fludrocortisone to help me retain sodium.  I am passing out too frequently so I am really hoping this works.  Has anyone else been on this med and how well did it work for you?
  • Hey folks!Thought I would bounce this off of ya'll to see what your thoughts are: I'm a 21yo with numerous health problems, some diagnosed some undiagnosed. I've dealt with severe chronic fatigue for the past year, and have been to the ER numerous times within the last several months, more recently for not having the energy to eat/drink or take care of myself properly. Anyway!My doctor ordered a...
  • JudithPoodith

Is it harmful to take a.m. dose early afternoon?

Hi,I'm a very late riser in the morning, I always have been. I do not sleep well for various reasons (reflux, respiratory, etc.) and I absolutely need the morning sleep. When I started on HC, the doctor didn't warn me not to go back to sleep after I took them, and so I would awaken early, take them, and they made me nice and drowsy, so I'd fall back to sleep. Well, I ended up with a very bad...
  • Darla40

Scared to take solu-Cortef shot

Hi, this will be my first time taking solu-Cortef shot( that large of amount) plus I will have to double my Cortef, ( currently take Cortef 35 mg daily) I'm scared to be honest, I've never taken this much b4, what's ur experience with having to take so much, plus doubling my dose, I'm scared it's going to make me feel bad and give me side effects, although I'm sure il need it. Thanks in advance...
  • iwontbackdown1

IS ANYONE POSTING, VIEWING, SOMETHING NEW HERE???

I see "10 months ago".....blah, blah, blah....the same thing Months with numbers in front....I have Addison's Disease. I'd like to listen, talk, learn, be here, be heard..IS ANYONE OUT THERE AND WILL ANYONE COME IN FOR THE "NOW?"Thanks....
  • Summertime003

Increasing meds

HiIve had addisons for 9 years and generally stay well now, with daily doses of hydrocortisone and fuldrocortisone , together with thyroxine for my low thyroid levels. However when I get an illness it hits me hard and I have to double up quickly my hydrocortisone. But how long do I need to stay doubled up for ? It's a tricky process of coming down off them to the normal level again. Just...
  • Rhondafaye42

Adrenal insufficiency

Hello all, I have a questionHow hard is it to get on disability with adrenal insufficiency ?I have only been diagnosed for two months but this has been going on a lot longer, I know at least 2 years probably longer than that. I have not worked much throughout my life I was very blessed to be able to stay home and raise my two boys , now 20&23I went back to school and am now a CNA, PCT and...
  • deleted_user

I am writing an essay.....

And my goal is to get the voices of others into my paper. I am a young woman and have Addison's Disease. I am in college full-time and I find living "normal" to be impossible for reasons I will get into after I hear what others have to say. Would you say you can live "normal" with Addison's disease? If so, why? and if not, what is making it difficult for you to feel "normal"? Any input would...
  • Hi. I have a question which may have already been addressed. I was diagnose with Addison's Disease in 2003 after nearly dying. I was put on Prednisone (5mg) and Fludrocortisone (0.1mg) and have taken that every day since the diagnosis. I am trying to find information on joint and bone pain associated with Addison's Disease. I was told I have severe osteoporosis, caused by the many years of...
  • deleted_user

Severe burning hands?

I've got a new problem that I haven't a clue what to think about. I have an appointment with a neurologist soon, on the 27th. Hopefully he can figure this body out. I sure can't. I wake up at all hours in the night with horrifically severe hand numbness, tingling, and like my hand/s are literally on fire. It feels like somebody is torturing me by burning my hands. Along ith the burning feeling my...
  • deleted_user

Very low cortisol, and fatigue

Is there anything else that can cause low cortisol? My cortisol is always very low at 0.7 ug/dL AM but I cannot seem to get a diagnostic. Any advice? Do you have to have visible damage to the adrenal cortex to have addison's or is a low production of cortisol enough? I have all the symptoms, and the rest of my hormone levels are normal.
  • cherokee23

Addison disease and myasthenia gravis

Does anyone have these two diseases? I was diagnosed with myesthenia gravis in 2011, three years after I had a thymona removed. I was in the hospital with a myesthenia gravis crisis and not getting better in April, 2015. It was then discovered that I was also in an addisonian crisis. I had not been diagnosed with Addison prior to this, so it was a surprise to everyone. I have a neurologist and...
  • JudithPoodith

Extreme weakness with other symptoms

Hi Guys,I haven't posted in a long time, since I've had a lot of things to take care of, but I am just devastated that an old symptom had returned, and it's worse than ever.Very hard to explain, and over the years, the doctors just throw up their hands about it. I feel not only a weakness, but I would say an inflammatory feeling in my muscles. Sometimes I feel as if I've been punched in the...
  • JudithPoodith

So very weak

Hi,I can't write much now, as I'm having an attack right now. I've had adds for over 10 years, I'm in my 60's, and recently have been through months of terrific stress. Been taking extra HC but doesn't help. After cooking dinner, I feel like I'm dying! I had my cort. levels checked, but that was a month or so ago, haven't heard from endo. I did call, but no call back.My sodium is always good....