Addison's Disease Support Group

Addison's disease (also known as chronic adrenal insufficiency, or hypocortisolism) is a rare endocrine disorder. It is estimated that it affects about 1 to 2 in 100,000 people. It occurs when the adrenal glands, seated above the kidneys, fail to produce enough of the hormone cortisol and, sometimes, the hormone aldosterone

0 Online
  • Hi. I have a question which may have already been addressed. I was diagnose with Addison's Disease in 2003 after nearly dying. I was put on Prednisone (5mg) and Fludrocortisone (0.1mg) and have taken that every day since the diagnosis. I am trying to find information on joint and bone pain associated with Addison's Disease. I was told I have severe osteoporosis, caused by the many years of...
  • deleted_user

Severe burning hands?

I've got a new problem that I haven't a clue what to think about. I have an appointment with a neurologist soon, on the 27th. Hopefully he can figure this body out. I sure can't. I wake up at all hours in the night with horrifically severe hand numbness, tingling, and like my hand/s are literally on fire. It feels like somebody is torturing me by burning my hands. Along ith the burning feeling my...
  • deleted_user

Very low cortisol, and fatigue

Is there anything else that can cause low cortisol? My cortisol is always very low at 0.7 ug/dL AM but I cannot seem to get a diagnostic. Any advice? Do you have to have visible damage to the adrenal cortex to have addison's or is a low production of cortisol enough? I have all the symptoms, and the rest of my hormone levels are normal.
  • learningtolovemack

New diagnosis

I am 16 and my doctor thinks I have Addison's disease.  He is starting me on fludrocortisone to help me retain sodium.  I am passing out too frequently so I am really hoping this works.  Has anyone else been on this med and how well did it work for you?
  • deleted_user

I am writing an essay.....

And my goal is to get the voices of others into my paper. I am a young woman and have Addison's Disease. I am in college full-time and I find living "normal" to be impossible for reasons I will get into after I hear what others have to say. Would you say you can live "normal" with Addison's disease? If so, why? and if not, what is making it difficult for you to feel "normal"? Any input would...
  • Summertime003

Increasing meds

HiIve had addisons for 9 years and generally stay well now, with daily doses of hydrocortisone and fuldrocortisone , together with thyroxine for my low thyroid levels. However when I get an illness it hits me hard and I have to double up quickly my hydrocortisone. But how long do I need to stay doubled up for ? It's a tricky process of coming down off them to the normal level again. Just...
  • cherokee23

Addison disease and myasthenia gravis

Does anyone have these two diseases? I was diagnosed with myesthenia gravis in 2011, three years after I had a thymona removed. I was in the hospital with a myesthenia gravis crisis and not getting better in April, 2015. It was then discovered that I was also in an addisonian crisis. I had not been diagnosed with Addison prior to this, so it was a surprise to everyone. I have a neurologist and...
  • JudithPoodith

Extreme weakness with other symptoms

Hi Guys,I haven't posted in a long time, since I've had a lot of things to take care of, but I am just devastated that an old symptom had returned, and it's worse than ever.Very hard to explain, and over the years, the doctors just throw up their hands about it. I feel not only a weakness, but I would say an inflammatory feeling in my muscles. Sometimes I feel as if I've been punched in the...
  • I see "10 months ago".....blah, blah, blah....the same thing Months with numbers in front....I have Addison's Disease. I'd like to listen, talk, learn, be here, be heard..IS ANYONE OUT THERE AND WILL ANYONE COME IN FOR THE "NOW?"Thanks....
  • Darla40

Scared to take solu-Cortef shot

Hi, this will be my first time taking solu-Cortef shot( that large of amount) plus I will have to double my Cortef, ( currently take Cortef 35 mg daily) I'm scared to be honest, I've never taken this much b4, what's ur experience with having to take so much, plus doubling my dose, I'm scared it's going to make me feel bad and give me side effects, although I'm sure il need it. Thanks in advance...
  • JudithPoodith

So very weak

Hi,I can't write much now, as I'm having an attack right now. I've had adds for over 10 years, I'm in my 60's, and recently have been through months of terrific stress. Been taking extra HC but doesn't help. After cooking dinner, I feel like I'm dying! I had my cort. levels checked, but that was a month or so ago, haven't heard from endo. I did call, but no call back.My sodium is always good....
  • chelseastewart

Mid-investigation

Hey guys I'm really looking for some advice and support right now as I am currently in the process of being tested for Addison's disease. I'm waiting on the blood work and also having an MRI scan. I don't know myself for sure and I know you guys can't tell me either but I was hoping if I listed what has been going on if you could maybe relate or redirect me to another topic?Aug 15 - started to...
  • Judy-Anderson

stomach problems

wanting to know hoping its not too much. are severe gas and diariah go with this. Do i have to stack on diapers at night. lol and I am so scared to dose myself . yuck I am always so shakey. are you always here to help . what is happening when you need to go to hospital
  • sheri7

does age matter??

I am 58 I was diagnosed with AD 13 years ago. I've from the doctors that you can lead a normal life taking you meds. I AM NOT finding that TRUE AT ALL. I have a lot of stress going on now, my mom has being going through chemo, my husband lost his job, and my son is a terrible addict. Thankfully we took him a week ago to a long term rehab and he was truly wanting the get help. I said all this...
  • Susanmindfully

So Happy To Be Here

As I sit here with wildly fluctuating levels of cortisol due to pituitary failure and an insidious unremitting infection, I am happy to see that this could be such an oasis and dynamic board. I am willing to communicate. I have a medical background, and would love to share what I have learned about Adrenal Insufficiency.