Widows & Widowers Support Group
This community is dedicated to those who have lost a husband, wife, or partner. Anything is open for discussion here, with the hope that we can focus on grief, bereavement, life after loss, and continuing on after a great loss.

Truhal
My husband told me years ago that my father was manipulative. I didn't believe him. Now, I've got a problem and need some advice if possible. I've got nowhere else to go, so I'm posting it here. My father has been plain evil since I lost my husband. I've given him thousands of dollars and yet he comes back for more, saying what I gave him before was nothing. Now, he's nearing foreclosure and wants more. He's said all sorts of mean things to me, even saying that my husband worked a lot just to get away from me. That's so not true as my husband often invited me out to his job and to every financial event known to man.
So, here's my problem. My father just told me that he's been saying these hateful things because he wanted to push me away from him so that he wouldn't be a burden on me. He said his doctor told him that he has an enlarged prostate gland and that he wanted to refer him to a urologist. My dad is 84. I'm worried sick. I've been sitting here crying for the last 30 minutes since he told me. Then I remembered what my husband said and wondered if this was a trick to get more money from me. God forgive me if I'm way off base. I certainly hope it's something like this as I want my dad to live a long time. I don't want to lose him.
I'm just so close to all of this and don't know what to think of any of this.
So, here's my problem. My father just told me that he's been saying these hateful things because he wanted to push me away from him so that he wouldn't be a burden on me. He said his doctor told him that he has an enlarged prostate gland and that he wanted to refer him to a urologist. My dad is 84. I'm worried sick. I've been sitting here crying for the last 30 minutes since he told me. Then I remembered what my husband said and wondered if this was a trick to get more money from me. God forgive me if I'm way off base. I certainly hope it's something like this as I want my dad to live a long time. I don't want to lose him.
I'm just so close to all of this and don't know what to think of any of this.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
If your father absolutely refuses you can pretty well suspect what he told you may possibly be a tall tale!
Best of luck with this. I wish you the best and also your father.
The larger problem seems to be the way he has learned and you respond to his button pushing.
As Ghandi reminds us...No One Can Hurt Me Without My Permission.
(repeat as often as necessary)
Breathe.
love,
Carla
I wish you the very best.
Sallie
Sallie, helping him is only possible if I deplete my retirement money. I really don't have anything else and am struggling. My job may be gone by the end of the year.
Great idea, Darlene. Hadn't thought of that.
Sorry you are going through this with everything else........hugs
your father sounds manipulative
Can't add a thing to what these wonderful people have said except to say I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with Darlene and Carla!!
no one can hurt you unless you let them!!! Something I have learned too many times with the very same situations! I can tell you that in 90% there was BIG MANIPULATION attached!
Darlen's advice was perfect. That way you will KNOW if there is something really wrong, or he is again just playing on your sympathies. HARD lesson to learn but a very valuable one. He would be like the boy who cried wolf, and learn a hard lesson of his own which would be invaluable!
HUGS and hopes that your dad is ok first, and that YOU get some PEACE! YOU are important! Don't FORGET THAT!
diane
Every man gets an enlarged prostate if he lives long enough.
Please take my advise as a lay person and not as a medical professional. I'm not trying to make light of his situation but neither do you need to be upset by something that might be controlled easily.
You are so fragile right now because of your grief and your father knows that. Try to take care of yourself first, if you can. Your father may need a little "tough love" to get off your back. Good luck,
Claire