Vitiligo Support Group
Vitiligo or leukoderma is a skin disease that causes loss of pigment, resulting in irregular white patches of skin. There is some evidence suggesting it is caused by a combination of auto-immune, genetic and environmental factors. Half of vitiligo patients develop signs of the disorder before the age of 20, with patches of de-pigmented skin appearing on extremities. Share...
deleted_user
Hello everyone. I am new to your support group and am so thankful I can reach out to others that are suffering with the same ailment. I have had vitiligo for about 2 years now. It started out very slow but seems to be progressing quickly. I have been prescribed chemical ointments for the white patches on my hands. This proves to be difficult considering the amount of times I wash my hands a day. I have heard that extra virgin coconut oil works on repigmenting the patches. Does anyone know if this is true? I also noticed small white patches between my chin and cheek area on my face. This has made me feel really anxious about finding a remedy that works. Can anyone help? Thanks so much.
Olivia
Olivia
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
I am happy for you experience.
Janie
I'm in a similar situation. I'm 32 and have had small patches of vitiligo for the past 4 years. During the past spring/summer it spread to areas on my face. I'm also real anxious about it.
I use Protopic, which has worked on a smaller spot, but it has not worked on my bigger patch. I'm also doing laser treatments with some success, but it seems like it's only a cover up for the underlying problem.
I'm looking into some supplements and if I find anyhting that works, I'll let you know.
Ryan
I know you posted this a few years back, but I wanted to know if you began using coconut oil for your vitiligo. My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed at 2.5 years old. She only has it on one eye with a few white lashes. I have her on a mostly gluten free diet and try to have her eat lots of non-processed foods. I began rubbing aloe vera on her eye at the beginning of this year, but it seemed to only irritate her eye. In April I began rubbing extra virgin coconut oil and in June she began to have a noticeable repigmentation are in her eye. I'm continuing to use the coconut oil, but wanted to know if you tried this on yourself and if you had any success.
If any of you have had success with it, I would like to know.
I recently started xtrac amd protopic for the face.,too early to tell. I am hopeful.
Best luck Olivia and to all of you.