Shopping Addiction Support Group

Oniomania (also known as shopping addiction), is the compulsive desire to shop. Similar to other compulsive behaviors, sufferers often experience the highs and lows associated with addiction. The purchase generates a mood of satisfaction, gives their life meaning, and lets them forget about their sorrows.

0 Online
  • Joy.Grusky

Lost :(

I recently had a job review and I still have my job, but just barely. My problem is that I have not been able to concentrate long enough to get my work done. On top of all that, my shopping addiction has reemerged--likely related to the stress of not being productive. I have forgotten to pay bills. I have been deceitful in trying to cover up my spending, for example, I got three credit cards...
  • spincrazy76

i have finally come to terms that I have a problem when my husband and I are constantly arguing about my spending. Also, when I clean my closet and find a bag of stuff that I bought and forgot about...must have been real important to buy. My main problem is that I buy all this little stuff that I don't need and it's taking a toll on my marriage and family life. I buy when I'm upset, happy,...
  • shoppingoutlet

Fills the void

I have known for a long time that I have had an addiction to shopping. When I am down, I shop. When I am happy and want to celebrate, I shop. I always justified my shopping habit because I would "bargain shop". I felt I was not spending a lot of money, but many small purchases add and before you know it, hundreds of dollars later...you wonder why!? Sometimes I think my life is so structured,...
  • shopnomore

Hello All

Hi all,I am pleased to see a group like this exists. I have suffered from anxiety, OCD, as well as gambling addicition and shopping addicition. Lately, I feel as though the shopping addiction has really taken over. I recently found some helpful resources that I thought I would share with you all. I am glad to know there are others out there who are suffering in similar ways. Here is the site that...
  • Craftymommy

Hi I'm new...

Hello, In short I've always had a problem with spontanious shopping but it's finally reached a head today as I spent 150 in fabric to make a dress/costume for my daughter, when I have pleanty in my stash that would have been just fine. In the past I would stress buy, or buy things out of spite. I honestly thought for a long time that I was fine, that since I had given up buying big items I no...
  • MiracleInProgress

Intro

Well, I made it here after a conversation I had this past weekend with my daughter, about her frustration with her hubby's compulsive spending. This time he took the family grocery money and spent it on what she called "stupid stuff."  So I spend half an hour or more trying to console her, but also explaining that it sounds like he's using spending to self-medicate, like I used to do in my...
  • Highsky00

Anyone use this site regularly?

Hello,I have been looking for some resources in my community for overspending habits and compulsive shoppers, yet there is nothing! I can hardly find things on facebook. do people still use this forum? Is it worth spending my time commenting and posting? I wanted to ask to see if people would see this post, before I went into depth.
  • Break_Free

Might be one of the reasons i do this

i've felt pretty lonely the past few months and had some rough times around my birthday (end of march). i turned 26 and thus lost all of my insurance that i'd previously maintained under my parents. my car, which was 25yrs old to begin with, finally gave out after being impounded and having to take time off from work to deal with all that. Before that, my radiator hose blew on the way to work one...
  • Jypsy

Shopaholic

i am a Shopaholic. Lately it has been out of control. I have nothing saved in my bank account and a large credit card debt. I am in overdraft and maxed my credit line. I even called the bank to see if I could get hold of my RRSPs. My husband is going to pay my debts and take my cards away from me. I am really going to try but I get really depressed if I can't shop. I hope someone else has this...
  • Jbear

To much money spent...

I am new here and I am hoping to get some help... I have a serious shopping problem and I have spent close to $1,800 in the last two months online. It's so bad that my brother has been extremely upset at me with my spending. I am ashamed of my own behavior and need help. I don't want to end up alone with my life in shambles because I spent all the money...and no where to live or be without my...
  • ckincaid55

Looking for Advice

Hi all, I'm new here and hoping for any advice from those of you who have gotten your addiction under control. I've been a shopper my whole life but in the last 5 years it's been worse and these last few months for me my spending has been completely out of control. I put thousands of dollars on my credit card buying clothes trying to curate the "perfect" wardrobe. I feel like this issue stems...
  • Sassy1234

shopping addiction - need help

I realize I am addicted spending.  Drowning in credit card debt! need help.
  • KatPierce

No idea where it all goes

So to start this off i just want to say that i have no idea where it all goes. to be completely honest with you my parents were never weathly they came from nothing. But now they have everything because of  how hard they worked when they were younger. theyve always been fair to me when it comes to buying me things that i want and giving me things that i need. But my problem is I want more. I...
  • Missie

Too Much Spending

I have come to believe I have a spending issue.  I have way too many things that I don't enjoy what I do have.  I love leaving the house and looking for good deals.  Sometimes the deals are things I really want.  Sometimes they are just a great deal and I think I want it.  I live with my daughter and son-in-law in the basement.  They told me I have to stop.  Find something else to do.  At...
  • shazaz

Newby

Hi everyone. I am new to this group. I am a serious shopping addict and my addiction has gotten me into trouble financially and now criminally as I was taking money from my employer to feed my addiction. My need to shop overpowered my brain which would of told me how wrong that was. I really didn't even realize how addicted I was until I had an intervention. Since then I have been doing a lot of...