Shopping Addiction Support Group

Oniomania (also known as shopping addiction), is the compulsive desire to shop. Similar to other compulsive behaviors, sufferers often experience the highs and lows associated with addiction. The purchase generates a mood of satisfaction, gives their life meaning, and lets them forget about their sorrows.

0 Online
  • ckincaid55

Looking for Advice

Hi all, I'm new here and hoping for any advice from those of you who have gotten your addiction under control. I've been a shopper my whole life but in the last 5 years it's been worse and these last few months for me my spending has been completely out of control. I put thousands of dollars on my credit card buying clothes trying to curate the "perfect" wardrobe. I feel like this issue stems...
  • GolfingGal14

Wanting to change

I'm in my late 20's and want to get this issue handled before it's too late. I don't understand why I feel a need to purchase things, but sometimes it's uncontrollable. Purchases are followed by buyers remorse and  then self-justifying the purchase to help myself cope with the issue. I don't know how to stop the urge to shop but I want so desperately to be a responsible adult. I want a savings...
  • Break_Free

5yrs later

its been 5yrs since I've struggled so much with this, actually it's never been this bad. I'm afraid to look at exactly how much I've spent this much but I think it's around 350, which with mine & my boyfriend's monthly budget is quite a bit. My credit cards are still maxed out, thank god I only have 2.i'm feeling pretty low, hating this anxiety of hoping my boyfriend doesn't look at the charges...
  • J203k

I have told my husband

I told my husband about my debts and that I have been keeping it from him. I feel so bad, so guilty and so ashamed.  I keep thinking of how hurt he must be and he is not talking to me. I don't blame him. I have told him if he wants to leave me I wouldn't blame him. I feel so lost. 
  • I'm a 50 y/o wife that has been confronted in the past by my husband, but just 4 days ago, he asked me if I thought I had a spending problem and I had to honestly admit that I do.  He wants me to seek help and counseling, but as most of us know, that it hard to find these days AND expensive.
  • sugarraylingam

Financial mess

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and would appreciate any advice given.Im a 35 year old, unemployed, single guy who doesn't have friends and has never had a girlfriend. I over 40k on all my credit cards and have struggled to pay back the money. All the creditors have cancelled my account but I still have to pay them back.I've spent the following from 2015;£8k on eBay20k on private number...
  • shazaz

Newby

Hi everyone. I am new to this group. I am a serious shopping addict and my addiction has gotten me into trouble financially and now criminally as I was taking money from my employer to feed my addiction. My need to shop overpowered my brain which would of told me how wrong that was. I really didn't even realize how addicted I was until I had an intervention. Since then I have been doing a lot of...
  • Moonbeam45

I need help !!!

I am new to this group. I am really scared my walls are caving in on me. I have really been out of control with my spending. I am hiding stuff from my husband. I am running to the mail box to get the mail to hide the bills. I have been bailed out 3 times. I always say this is the last time. And I live in a small Mountain town with no 12 step programs for shopping. I am really really scared. I...
  • redvelvetcake

leaving group due to zero responses

No response whatsoever on this group what gives? I'm out to find anither group.
  • Honest

But I don't WANT to stop shopping!

I have an addiction to buying cloths- have had it for about 14 years now. The thing is I love fashion. I love putting together outfits and not to brag but I have a real flair for it!the problem is that I managed to rack up 6000 in credit card debt that I have to pay back. I am paying it back but I still spend about 50.00 per cent week on clothing. Is this a problem?
  • coutsalessa

New to Online Support Groups

I am new to online support groups. I feel a little vulnerable yet know this is a good step for me to make. Are there any suggestions on how to get the best of this group? I really would like to connect somehow.
  • kiarasd

Shoes and Clothes addiction HELP

Hello everyone, I'm trying my best to keep and stay positive with everything going on in life, certain stressors lead me to shop. I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this. Please get back with me and tell me what all you have been experiencing with this shopping addiction, I would love to hear from you.
  • suprherogrl02

New-ish just want to introduce myself

Hey all, I subscribed to the site a few days ago and joined this group as well as the Bipolar Disorder support group and Smoking Cessation group. As for this group, I'm here mostly because my mania from my Bipolar Disorder causes me to shop endlessly: things I don't need, constantly buying and returning things, etc. I was up all last night, spent hours trying to work out my finances in order to...
  • Depressediris

I spend money I don't have to spend

I have had a compulsive shopping problem since I was 18...for a long time I couldn't even own a bank car/ credit card..I still feel the need to shop ...and it is always something new I want but don't need...I even get amusement out of wish list keeping... I have 4 different sites that have wishlists and I keep them updated and will spend hours online just putting stuff on there or taking off and...
  • hopefulprincess916

I'm looking for community... and healing.

Hey everyone. I know the posts here don't get that much attention, but I'm reaching out anyways, because trying to stop shopping without community is not working.I'm 26 years old. I've always liked buying things. I've been called a 'shopper' many times, and it never seemed problematic. In the last year, I was making pretty great money (for my age and education level, and living expenses, etc...)...