Shopping Addiction Support Group

Oniomania (also known as shopping addiction), is the compulsive desire to shop. Similar to other compulsive behaviors, sufferers often experience the highs and lows associated with addiction. The purchase generates a mood of satisfaction, gives their life meaning, and lets them forget about their sorrows.

0 Online
  • Moonbeam45

I need help !!!

I am new to this group. I am really scared my walls are caving in on me. I have really been out of control with my spending. I am hiding stuff from my husband. I am running to the mail box to get the mail to hide the bills. I have been bailed out 3 times. I always say this is the last time. And I live in a small Mountain town with no 12 step programs for shopping. I am really really scared. I...
  • No response whatsoever on this group what gives? I'm out to find anither group.
  • Honest

But I don't WANT to stop shopping!

I have an addiction to buying cloths- have had it for about 14 years now. The thing is I love fashion. I love putting together outfits and not to brag but I have a real flair for it!the problem is that I managed to rack up 6000 in credit card debt that I have to pay back. I am paying it back but I still spend about 50.00 per cent week on clothing. Is this a problem?
  • coutsalessa

New to Online Support Groups

I am new to online support groups. I feel a little vulnerable yet know this is a good step for me to make. Are there any suggestions on how to get the best of this group? I really would like to connect somehow.
  • kiarasd

Shoes and Clothes addiction HELP

Hello everyone, I'm trying my best to keep and stay positive with everything going on in life, certain stressors lead me to shop. I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this. Please get back with me and tell me what all you have been experiencing with this shopping addiction, I would love to hear from you.
  • Hey all, I subscribed to the site a few days ago and joined this group as well as the Bipolar Disorder support group and Smoking Cessation group. As for this group, I'm here mostly because my mania from my Bipolar Disorder causes me to shop endlessly: things I don't need, constantly buying and returning things, etc. I was up all last night, spent hours trying to work out my finances in order to...
  • I have had a compulsive shopping problem since I was 18...for a long time I couldn't even own a bank car/ credit card..I still feel the need to shop ...and it is always something new I want but don't need...I even get amusement out of wish list keeping... I have 4 different sites that have wishlists and I keep them updated and will spend hours online just putting stuff on there or taking off and...
  • Hey everyone. I know the posts here don't get that much attention, but I'm reaching out anyways, because trying to stop shopping without community is not working.I'm 26 years old. I've always liked buying things. I've been called a 'shopper' many times, and it never seemed problematic. In the last year, I was making pretty great money (for my age and education level, and living expenses, etc...)...
  • Alyssa2014

My Shopping Addiction

Hi everyone. So, my shopping addiction started probably a year ago. I received a lot of extra money and I spent it frivolously on jewelry and clothes. After that I stopped for a while because my mom found out and I was afraid I would destroy my credit or overdraw because I had already spent about $1000 alone. After that I received more payments of about $1000 and each time I spent them on things...
  • jillmcculloch

New To The Group

My name is Jill and I'm a compulsive shopper. I'll buy things even when I don't have the money to do so. My checking account is in the negative and my credit cards are all maxed out. I'm happy I found this group. I was kind of feeling like I was all alone in this. Now I know I'm not.
  • claroypadgett

In trouble

Last night I had to confess to my husband that I once again have gotten us in to debt. This time the credit cards are 21k. I have nothing to show for it. I am so mad at myself. He didn't get mad and lovely said I needed a group, because I was becoming just like my mother. He is right this is not my first time and the last two time we had to file chapter 7 to get out of trouble.We will not be...
  • barton1979

For a number of years I have resorted to stealing money from my husband in order to buy stuff. I am at that point where yes I'm admitting I have a very serious problem that I need to do something about which is why I joined this site. I don't like where I'm at with this and if I don't deal with it, it will eventually destroy me and my family which I don't want to happen. I'm desperate.
  • I am getting help from someone who specializes in shopping field. I have gone to one therapist for three sessions. You have to be careful who u use to get better. I have had a shopping addiction for over 25 years. I never knew this was a problem.
  • barton1979

Hi am new to this site. I have a serious addiction that is slowly destroying me and my family. I am stealing from my husband to feed my addiction. He is upset that I am doing this but more upset at the fact that I have constantly lied about taking money. Buying things isn't making me feel any better. I'm hoping to find support and strategies to be able to combat this before it gets any worse than...
  • sammia

Starting today - helpful advice please

After years of spending, getting bailed out, promising never to do it again, doing it again, getting bailed out and so on I think enough is enough. I hate the feeling of guilt and the fear of being discovered and I mostly hate how disappointed I feel in myself all the time. I am setting a bad example to my children and I think I've pushed my husband to the limit. He discovered my debt this...